http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

RE: Lost Cinema's of Brum

#107 by Voltman , Wed May 18, 2011 7:58 am

Posted by phil
I think the smoking ban ended quite a lot of the working classes entertainment. As an ex smoker myself, I thought that smokers in this country have been treated dreadfully far from filling the pubs and other places of entertainment when smoking was banned they have done exactly the opposite and 70% of the old local pubs are now closed along with 90% of the cinemas.

Phil

The smoke in these places is precisely the reason I stopped going out. All you lot (smokers) filled places with was smoke, it was the non smokers who were treated dreadfully and had to end up with sore throats and smelling head to toe of fag smoke just for the sake of a night down the local or at the pictures or a meal out in a restaurant. So Boo Hoo, I'm glad most of these stinking holes are now shut, they were nothing but cheap exclusive clubs for the foul suicidal group known as smokers.
VM

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 05.18.2011 | Top

#108 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed May 18, 2011 8:12 am

HEAR, HEAR.

signman

#109 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 18, 2011 10:40 am

Volty

I suppose you were one of those who went into a smoke room of a pub and complained and now goes out to the outside smoking shelters provided for smokers because its summertime. What do you feel about having to pay all the extra tax on alcohol because they have pushed smokers to the limit and are in danger of losing all the revenue from that source. What about the new message Alcohol kills and I don't just mean the drunken drivers, but there the alcohol induced fights, wife beatings and the myriad of other crimes. As I say scare tactics so they can bump up the tax. Sound familiar?

Phil (non smoker, non drinker, non spoilsport)

Make Love, Not War

phil

#110 by mikejee , Wed May 18, 2011 12:56 pm

The trouble is Volty, that now a lot of the remaining pubs are driving a lot of people away (I won't say out, as they probably take one look through the door and keep away) by having continuous Sky-Sport blithering away in every corner (a pub by me even, when it first opened, had little TV screens above each urinal, but not for long though- I think water , or something, got into the works and they got taken away).

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#111 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 18, 2011 1:16 pm

Mike

Something that I wholeheartedly agree with no pub should be allowed to have a television. I certainly looked for somewhere else when I saw a television. If it wasn't somebody shouting at the screen at some inane sporting fixture it was some silly woman insisting on quiet because Coronation St was on. Pubs are places for drinking and smoking and having a good time if so why cant we have separate pubs that have non smoking wine drinkers and good old fashioned pubs where it is pints fags and a sing song. Which ones do you think would be empty and which ones would be doing a thriving business.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#112 by Sheldonboy , Wed May 18, 2011 7:37 pm

Posted by Voltman

Posted by phil
I think the smoking ban ended quite a lot of the working classes entertainment. As an ex smoker myself, I thought that smokers in this country have been treated dreadfully far from filling the pubs and other places of entertainment when smoking was banned they have done exactly the opposite and 70% of the old local pubs are now closed along with 90% of the cinemas.

Phil

The smoke in these places is precisely the reason I stopped going out. All you lot (smokers) filled places with was smoke, it was the non smokers who were treated dreadfully and had to end up with sore throats and smelling head to toe of fag smoke just for the sake of a night down the local or at the pictures or a meal out in a restaurant. So Boo Hoo, I'm glad most of these stinking holes are now shut, they were nothing but cheap exclusive clubs for the foul suicidal group known as smokers.
VM

What I hate about the Smoking Ban is precisely that smokers now go outside. On a hot summers night is would have been nice to take a walk to a pub, get a beer and sit outside when you have been inside working all day. Now the outside stinks to high heaven with the concentrated Stench of the dreadful weed. SB

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#113 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 18, 2011 7:45 pm

So SB

What do you want to do, now you have give the government the chance to hammer the smokers with taxes that helped keep income tax down, and forced them outside the pubs in all weather now you want them to move on so you can sit in the sun. I shouldn't worry about it too much because now they can't hammer the smoker much more, beer will become that expensive that nobody will be able to afford it.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#114 by Sheldonboy , Wed May 18, 2011 8:22 pm

Posted by phil
So SB

What do you want to do, now you have give the government the chance to hammer the smokers with taxes that helped keep income tax down, and forced them outside the pubs in all weather now you want them to move on so you can sit in the sun. I shouldn't worry about it too much because now they can't hammer the smoker much more, beer will become that expensive that nobody will be able to afford it.

Phil

Phil since when did the price stop smokers, I remember when I worked in the pub trade people said.
"when they get to 10/- a pack I'll buy no more".
"When they get to 75p per pack that's the end of em"
"When they get to £1 a pack I'll smoke no more"

and what are they now. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .[Cry Baby]

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Last edited 05.18.2011 | Top

#115 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 18, 2011 8:31 pm

SB

I haven't a clue how much a pack of cigarettes are now, but I know that millions have packed up smoking because they can't afford it and that most youngster today don't smoke for the same reason, Ergo revenue is falling and that is why alcohol has now become so dangerous to your health. Strangely the Health Department and Hospitals are saying that the reduction in smokers is showing no difference in lung and heart related diseases being treated.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#116 by Sheldonboy , Wed May 18, 2011 8:37 pm

I understand that a packet of stinks are now around £6-7.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#117 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu May 19, 2011 5:58 am

Here in Brighton, everyone rolls their own,until I came here I'd only seen the occasional person doing that.
There is a roaring trade in pouch tobbaco,especially those green and yellow packets, (is it Bruno ?), there are trips every weekend to Belguim
and France to bring back the duty free, there are even price wars now,with joe bloggs selling cheaper than sally smartypants.
Trevor our cleaner in the pub goes over every weekend and says he makes about £200 every time, Sharon one of our chefs does the same,
Also there are more girls smoking now than the lads, all our girls roll their own, even though they are the best staff in Brighton,I would not
employ any of them because of their smoking, but luckily for them I have no say in the matter.

signman

#118 by Voltman , Thu May 19, 2011 8:13 am

The cost to industry of employing smokers must be enormous.

I visit a lot of workplaces in the course of my work and people talk to me about all sorts of things, one recurring irritation people have is with smokers.
Smokers insist on having "Fag Breaks" many times a day, without which they apparently become incapable of existing as a normal human being, which at 5 minutes a time must come to about an hour a day.
This is in addition to the time spent doing the same as the rest us, drinking coffee and gossiping. Now add in the cost of a shelter (preferably out the back and well away from the building), the cost of cleaning up after them and the tarnishing of the company image at places where they are allowed to congregate around the front door. Please don't forget the overall demoralising effect on the non smoking workforce.
This probably robs british business of more money than all the bank holidays, power cuts and royal weddings put together.
It matters not how much smokers pay for the privilege, very few businesses derive any income from tobacco so it's a dead loss to most.
VM

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#119 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu May 19, 2011 10:13 am

I happen to think that foreign holidays are a drain on this countries resources. I'm not trying to get them stopped or applauding the government for trying to tax and legislate them out of existence. I think that people are entitled to smoke or drink themselves to death if they wish to.

Just answer me this question its one I have posed before why do we not have smoking and non smoking places of entertainment. We all know why because the non smoking establishments would close down in no time (like they are now) the non smoking brigade would then move into the smoking places and start all over again.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#120 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu May 19, 2011 10:19 am

Although a life-long non-smoker I can appreciate the problems caused by this legislation.
What about bus stops I was at one the other day and a guy was smoking his head off with a no smoking sign inches above his head, who's
going to police that situation.

signman

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Gaiety Music Hall & Cinema

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor