Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Great Thread

#121 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:21 pm

Some where way back in the thread we were talking about walking along the High St. Well as we strolled along the High St there were many junctions ans side streets starting with the one already mentioned Bull St that ran from the High St to Snow Hill. Here are a few photos looking up Bull St from the High St.

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#122 by mikejee , Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:00 pm

I have heard it suggested that the spires were a landmark to help people who wanted to get to the church when roads were not as ubiquitous as today .

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#123 by astoness , Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:05 pm

thats a good point mike....

phil that 2nd pic of bull st..hard to beleive it once looked like that...think ive got an old shot somewhere...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#124 by mikejee , Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:08 pm

Wikipedia (not always to be trusted) at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spire, suggets that the spire was meant as a symbol of power - god over his minions. If so then perhaps that would also explian why some other non-church buildings later start having spires, especially those built by ones who have an over-high opinion of themselves - I expect Murdoch has 4 or 5 on his house !

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

Last edited 10.20.2011 | Top

#125 by lynne webb , Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks Mike, that sounds right.

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#126 by Sheldonboy , Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:25 pm

Posted by phil
I think churches had towers to hang their bells in, and as I suppose flat roof technology was not very good back then they built spires on them to keep the rain out.

Phil

Wasn't it also so that the Church could be seen from a distance.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#127 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:26 am

If we look to the left at the Bull Street Junction we would have seen Albert St, that ran down to Masshouse Lane- Duddeston Row crossing Moor St on the way.

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#128 by Voltman , Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:09 am

Albert St has certainly taken a bashing over the years. That ugly brick car park just killed it. Who would want to trade in the shadow of that?
Am I right in thinking that Lloyds Bank has built over The Red Lion and the little road it was on?

I just took a look at Carrs lane and that has hardly changed since I used to catch the bus there in the mid 70s, Powell's is still there but whatever was next door has now gone, exposing what appears to be a length of railway steelwork in the ground.
I remember standing at that bus stop at various times, either with new clothes from M&S or christmas presents, all bought with my wages from NG Bailey.
Am I right in thinking there was another small street on the other side of M&S, now covered by the Pavilions?

Only a fool does the same thing twice and expects a different outcome
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#129 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:29 am

Volty

You are more or less correct in everything you say, except if you mean the steelwork attached to Powell's gable wall I assume that was put there to help support the building after the adjoining building was demolished as I can see no other purpose for it. I will be covering all the side streets off the high St when I move along it.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#130 by Voltman , Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:40 pm

Phil, the steel work I am talking about is actually sticking out of the ground a few feet away from the end of the building.
I look forward to your pictures of these other side streets. These are still in my memory, except the one the went to the printers.

This is the google view that shows the railway steel work. (The nearest I have been in 5 years). It is in line with the girl in the red tee shirt.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=5...356.85,,0,14.26

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 10.28.2011 | Top

#131 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:59 pm

The next street that we meet as we stroll along the High St is Martineau St that runs up to Corporation St.
This first photo shows the old News theatre in the background.

That is followed by this full length image of the street.

Then comes one of the Mikado Cafe at the top of the street

[IMG]http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae57/mcairns/BT/f93834b8.jpg[IMG]

Ands lets finish of with a shot of Union Passage that
ran through to Union Street.

It's OK I'm just trying an alternative way of posting photos, and I have to say I'm not impressed.

Phil

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

phil
Last edited Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:30 pm | Top

#132 by astoness , Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:07 pm

great pics phil but i cant enlarge them...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#133 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:16 pm

Lyn

No that is what I say I am not enamoured with this way of posting. In our normal way you only see the thumbnail images which you can enlarge. With these these photobucket images you only get standard sizes and frankly the next size up is much too large to post three or four images. So I'll stick with my normal way of posting photos, but I just thought I would give it a try. To be fair you can copy the images and enlarge them yourself.

Phil

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

phil

#134 by astoness , Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:24 pm

ok phil..was worth a try though...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#135 by Voltman , Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:39 pm

Phil, It's not too bad for small images not much bigger than our standard thubnail but it is horrible as a way of posting full size photo's.
I am curious to know how large would these shots, that you just experimented with, be if you had posted them in our normal way?
VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor