Here are some of the pubs that you have mentioned

1. The Craven Arms
2. The New Inns
3. The Woodman
4. The Reservoir
5. The Selly Park Tavern
6. The Stores
7. The Windmill

If you come across anymore. let me know and I'll see if I have them.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil
Last edited Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:50 pm | Top

RE: Holders Pubs in Birmingham,

#2 by Stirling Single , Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:28 pm

Thanks Phil, Great photographs. If you know of any more please do let me know. I shall try and put a list to-gether of the ones that I am sure about.

What would be the best way to ask - astoness - about UNION INN and if she was able to see any signs of it having been a Holder Pub. Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

#3 by mikejee , Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:42 pm

Lynn
Have you seen the little bit in Birmingham Breweries by McKenna on Holders?

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#4 by Sheldonboy , Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:11 am

Posted by Stirling Single
Thanks Phil, Great photographs. If you know of any more please do let me know. I shall try and put a list to-gether of the ones that I am sure about.

What would be the best way to ask - astoness - about UNION INN and if she was able to see any signs of it having been a Holder Pub. Lynn.

Hi Lynn, if you want to speak to Astoness who is also named Lyn by the way, one N (and I am sure she will be more than pleased to help). You can send a Personal Message. or go to OPEN ALL HOURS click the box REPLY and type in your message to Lyn. Lyn is one of our main posters and I am sure she will reply very quickly.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:09 am

Lynn

A few more Holders pubs I have found for you, can I be so cheeky as to ask what your interest in Sir John Holder is? Was he a distant relative, are you a Brummie (as I note you say next time I pay a visit). So where do you hail from, it's alright I'm just naturally nosey. By the way did you know that Sir Johns Road in Selly Oak Birmingham was named after the man himself.

1. The New Peacock, Aston Rd, Aston.
2. Black Horse, Aston Lane, Aston. (sorry I had misnamed this one)
3. Breadshaws Dining Rooms, Dudley St, City.
4. Kings Arms, Suffolk St, City.
5. Highland Tavern, Holyhead Rd, Handsworth.
6. Bank Tavern, New John St, Hockley.
7. Holders Arms, Washington St, Holloway Head.

I'll keep my eye open for some more.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil

#6 by Stirling Single , Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:22 am

Mike, I have seen the piece in McKenna - Birmingham Breweries and I can't keep up with Phil !!!!

Also a Superb picture in Joseph McKenna Book - Birmingham as it was The City 1857-1914

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#7 by Stirling Single , Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:53 am

Phil, You are absolutely amazing with all this.

Sir John Holder had a Miniature Steam Railway, all around his grounds at Pitmaston House in Moseley. They used to entertain visitors by taking them for a ride on the Railway, so this all started with me following up the Locomotives and rollling stock and the History with the railway etc. Myself and a friend are very privileged to own Loco's and rolling stock that belonged to the Holders in the first place and what we have has all been fully restored. The oldest engine was built in 1896 and another engine ran at Wembley Empire Exhibition in 1925 when King George and Queen Mary rode on it. You asked a question and got a long answer, so that is my original interest.

I wondered if Sir Johns Road had been named after him so thanks for that.

Phil, - No I'm not a Brummie but I do so love wandering around up there amongst those old magestic buildings that are unfortunately being pulled down 1 by 1

I went in behind the new building at Curzon St ( Without looking it up - Millenium Point. ) and there is the most amazing retaining wall in there, right around the 2nd corner and that amazing sweep of wall, from the inside, that runs up Grosvenor Street.

I unfortunately live rather far away in sunny Sussex and the weather is ever so hot to-day so must get right out there. It's amazing to think that my mother did her Nursing training at Selly Oak Hospital many years ago.

Enough rambling - Sunshine at last.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#8 by mikejee , Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Lynn
The brewery was expanded and partly moved to Nova Scotia St in 1879. Although probably not directly of interest to you, I find it a little bit intriguing that, from about 1870, no 8 Nova Scotia St was occupied by a John Holder, greengrocer. The shop wasn't taken over by the brewery initially, as it still existed alongside the brewery(literally as I think it must have been next door) in 1879, and remained listed until just after 1882. However John Holder moved to a shop at 206 Farm st in 1879, and the shop at 8 Nova Scotia st was run by Mrs Elizabeth Holder (described as shopkeeper, not green grocer) till it disappeared. I don’t think John was the same as John Charles, but think they must have been related , and possibly the area around what became the brewery was already owned by the Holders before the brewery was built.
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#9 by Stirling Single , Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:02 pm

Mike,
Although I had seen that McKenna one - there are plenty more that I haven't seen so please do make any suggestions that you have in your head.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#10 by Stirling Single , Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:16 pm

Phil,

What a collection !! - Now I need to sort out my Holder Pubs Folders.
May I now ask you, how have you collected them all - Are they all photographs or postcards or what. I thought I had quite a few until I saw all yours and realised I'd been working really hard to collect one or two.

May I ask , What does it say above the door in the last one in this set - William Charles ?Cooper and what does the plaque say Any chance of a close up please, please !!

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#11 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:26 pm

Lynn

I have been collecting photos of Birmingham for a long time now and I have many thousands. I also have a pretty good collection of books on Birmingham. Well at least I would have of people who borrow them would return them. I don't think I can help you with the sign on the Holders Arms as you will see. The more I blow the photo up the less legible it gets. I've looked through my pub books to see if there is any information there, but it seems it must be one of the images I pocked up off the net. So I can't tell you any more about it at the moment.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil

#12 by mikejee , Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:46 pm

Phil
I think the last one of your pubs might be the Moulders Arms, not Holders Arms. This is certainly how it is listed in the electoral roll 1922-27. Messing around with with the name over the door (and “negativising” it as below) shows it could be that, but am not sure.
Anyway , whatever the name, it was in the Cooper family for a while. From directories and electoral rolls:
1878 –Landlord is Underhill
1880-1899 Joseph Richard Cooper
1900-1905 Mrs Sarah Ann Cooper
1908-10 Albert Joseph Curzon Cooper
1912-27 William Charles J.Cooper (and wife Eliza)
1930 Henry Dent

Attached pictures:
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

Last edited 03.15.2011 | Top

#13 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:46 pm

Mike

You are almost certainly right, once again this was the name with the photo when I found it, because I never add names to photos unless I am as good as certain it is wrong. In the same vein I never change the tag on a photo that I suspect is wrong without proof, but your say so is proof enough for me so I will change this one.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#14 by Voltman , Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:35 pm

Is this the Holder that gave name to Holder Road in Yardley?

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#15 by Stirling Single , Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:40 pm

Phil and Mike,

I'm glad that you mentioned that Moulders Arms as I had not noticed that - in the brickwork.

I have no experience with looking up Directories & Electoral Rolls. Are there any books that I could buy.

Mike - Sir John Charles father Henry Holder who originally founded the brewery came from Hanley Castle, Malvern and I think he was origonally a butcher so mabe if he had a relative in Nova Scotia Street - well I also find that fasinating. Shall be interested in trying to put dates to-gether on that.

Henry Holder was born in 1811 but I haven't got a correct date of when he died. Would you have that in any of your directories.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Summer Lane Pubs.

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor