Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Holders Pubs in Birmingham,

#136 by Stirling Single , Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:49 pm

No worries about all that Phil - enjoy what you can of it.
As long as I've got a postcard with Holder's Ales spladded all over it but don't eat anything you don't like.
My son is in Kenya right now and his first meal was sheeps intestine, which was quite chewy, but he preferred the barbequed ribs, at the outdoor roadside cafe - I wouldn't have liked that very much but he was game to try it. - Well, I suppose this is not exactly a conversation about 'Holder's Pubs'. Let's stick to good old Roast Beef and Yorkshire Pudd.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

#137 by mikejee , Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:01 am

Did Holder collect pictures?. I ask this because of the advert in the Birmingham Post on 18.11.1862

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#138 by Stirling Single , Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:32 am

How very interesting Mike - A good find.
He did have an interest in paintings but I never thought to this extent.
Have been trying to find any more info on this and have come up with the Birmingham Gazette for the same thing.
The only difference in that it gives a list of some of the paintings but not sure if they are some of Mr Holder's ones or some of Mr Nixon's ones.Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#139 by Stirling Single , Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:55 am

http://bmagic.org.uk/results?col=&s=adv&who=holder&page=1
This would be to the extent that I would have on Holder's interest in paintings apart from what he had in his collection in Pitmaston House.
Look at :-
Pages 1 and 2 on this site - I think the headings of the ones connected to Holder should appear in a purple colour because I've looked at them.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#140 by Nigel Holder ( deleted ) , Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:56 pm

Hello, I have contacted both Lynn, and Lyn, and Introduced myself to them, and we are in conversations about The Holder Brewery ltd, Midland Brewery in Birmingham. My interest in this thread is simple: I am Sir Henry Holder's first son, My name is Nigel, and I live in Weymouth, Dorset. I have never lived in Bham, although my mothers family lives in Worcestershire.
I am following this thread and finding out lots about the Holder family history that I didn't know, and which you have been kind enough to research, particularly the Pictures of the Pubs.
I'm not sure I can add much to the thread however, I have no pictures, or knowledge of any, but this may change with time. In simple you know more than me!
Keep up the good work!

Regards;

Nigel J. C. Holder.

Nigel Holder

#141 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:08 pm

Hi Nigel

Welcome to the forum, don't feel that you have to add anything to the forum as long as you join in with the general mayhem then you will be gladly received.

By contacting Lyn & Lynne you have made a good start, I'm sure that they will both be able to let you know things about your family that will be of great interest. As will Mikejee or any of those on this forum that enjoy delving into the past.

Phil

phil

#142 by Nigel Holder ( deleted ) , Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:49 pm

Hi all would be great to hear every thing you have, all in due course.
Regards, Nigel.

Nigel Holder

#143 by Stirling Single , Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:20 pm

Nigel,
You say that you think there is a Painting of a Holder hanging in the Foyer of the Birmingham City Hospital.

The names of the hospials mix me up. It was The General Hospital that Sir John Charles Holder raised a lot of money for - May I ask what is that hospital called now as I get mixed up with The General Hospital, The New General Hospital , The Children's Hospital and The Birmingham City Hospital.
May I ask, - if anyone can summarise a clear view of the hospitals for me - Which ones are still there and which ones arn't.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#144 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:57 pm

Lynn

I don't think half of us Brummies understand the way our hospitals have been renamed. I can tell you that the old General is now The Children's Hospital. Dudley Rd Hospital is now the City Hospital. East Birmingham Hospital is now Heartlands Hospital. As far as I understand it Selly Oak Hospital amalgamated with the Q.E.Hospital and became the University Hospital. I'm not quite sure what happened to the Accident hospital with one of the best burns units in the country I think it may be at the University Hospital now.

Does that help to explain things to you, because it makes things no clearer for me, and I have only one question about the whole sorry mess WHY?

phil

#145 by Stirling Single , Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:02 pm

Thanks Phil,
I think you have done very well here. There is no way that I could have worked that out for myself.
Actually that does help me a little because I thought that The General Hospital became The Children's Hospital but was quite unsure and that was one of the main ones that I wondered about.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#146 by Sheldonboy , Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:06 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #144
Lynn

I don't think half of us Brummies understand the way our hospitals have been renamed. I can tell you that the old General is now The Children's Hospital. Dudley Rd Hospital is now the City Hospital. East Birmingham Hospital is now Heartlands Hospital. As far as I understand it Selly Oak Hospital amalgamated with the Q.E.Hospital and became the University Hospital. I'm not quite sure what happened to the Accident hospital with one of the best burns units in the country I think it may be at the University Hospital now.

Does that help to explain things to you, because it makes things no clearer for me, and I have only one question about the whole sorry mess WHY?

Phil I think the Accident hospital partly moved to City Hospital (Dudley Road). The Burns unit you mentioned was not just the best in the country, it was in fact the best in the world. The techniques invented and develeloped at the Birmingham burns unit were (and in some cases are still) used all over the world. Heartlands has completeley been rebuilt and is still being added to the story goes on. The why I can't answer Phil except to say give a man a budget and he'll spend it twice.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 11.16.2012 | Top

#147 by Stirling Single , Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:45 pm

Thanks Graham for filling me in a little more.
I keep thinking I will sort out my files, in the winter and then I think[Thinking] But it is the winter !!
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#148 by astoness , Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:33 am

hi nigel good to see you posting...not quite sure what family photos or paintings you may have?? but with regards to the painting you think maybe at hanging at the hospital just let me know if you would like me to go and have a look for it armed with my camera of course..

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#149 by mikejee , Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:02 am

Lyn
I thought the following advert in theBirm Post for 16.11.1862 might indicate that the place was going upmarket, in that a private entrance is mentioned. I don't think I have seen reference to this previously in similar adverts

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#150 by Stirling Single , Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:46 am

Yes Mike - You are doing well with these newspaper cuttings and the way this reads it's like as if the private entrance has just been introduced. Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Summer Lane Pubs.

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor