Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Holders Pubs in Birmingham,

#151 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:21 pm

Lynn

I don't know if I have put this up before, but I was reading somethng the other day by our member pudding that the first owner of the Villa Tavern on the corner of Holburn Hill & Nechells park Rd was a C.Holder.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#152 by Sheldonboy , Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:44 pm

Whats a C Holder

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not sure about the former.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#153 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:42 am

Graham

What don't you understand about "the first owner of the Villa Tavern on the corner of Holburn Hill & Nechells park Rd was a C.Holder."

phil

#154 by Sheldonboy , Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:36 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #153
Graham

What don't you understand about "the first owner of the Villa Tavern on the corner of Holburn Hill & Nechells park Rd was a C.Holder."

I know Phil my question was a joke

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not sure about the former.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#155 by Stirling Single , Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:33 am

Haven't been able to catch up with you all to-day, on this one.
Has anyone got a date for C.Holder and The Villa Tavern - mabe a relative of the Henry Holder that I have been looking at who went from being a butcher to being in The Rodney Inn.
Lynn.[Gone to Bed]

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

Last edited 12.08.2012 | Top

#156 by mikejee , Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:52 am

From directories, remembering that date is probably a year or so earlier:
There seems to have been a beerhouse (unnamed) at 307 Nechells Park Road from at least 1872 and 1873 , when Benjamin Robb was occupier. It does not seem to be there in 1868. From 1876-1890 it is Thomas Holder, and then 1895-1905 it was Charles Holder (in 1903-1905 it is listed as Charles Thomas Holder, but I assume it is the same). By 1908 another landlady has taken over

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#157 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:12 am

Mike

Well 307 is the Villa Tavern, but as pudding will tell you the pub in my photo is not the original building because we have discussed this matter before. In the b&w photo there is a sign over the door saying built in 1897, the building certainly looks old enough for that. Though pudding didn't seem to think it was that old because I think he had a photo of the original pub dated later than that. The only thing is if I took a copy then I seem to have misplaced it and at the moment for some reason I can't view photos on the BF. Perhaps if pudding comes on he may be able to clear this up a little.

phil

#158 by mikejee , Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:47 pm

Phil
I realised it would not be the same building. I was just adding information as to the name Holder. The first occasion when i can find it named is in the 1896 Kellys , when it is listed as the Villa P.H. (though that does not exclude the possibilty of it being called the Villa Tavern) . It is listed as this till 1905, but with new ownership , in 1908, it is just listed as a beer retailer and this continues until 1936. However in 1937 it is fully named as The Villa Tavern. But, as shown below (Birmingham Post 9.4.1870), the pub (or at least a pub in Nechells Park Road) was named The Villa Tavern in 1870, so it is probable that it was always called that

Attached pictures:
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#159 by astoness , Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:11 am

hi lynn i dont know if this will help but my sister works at the villa tavern and i pass it when i visit our dad at the nursing home..been in a few times and im sure there is a lot of info on it on the wall..next time i am passing i will pop into the little back room and have a look to see what it says...could be useful..

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#160 by Stirling Single , Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:55 pm

Thanks everyone for all the little snippets here.
I have my line of Holder's Midland brewery 1872 -1919 so seeing as it is in 1876 that the Holder name appears at The Villa Tavern and comes under Thomas Holder, Charles Holder and Charles Thomas Holder - I take it, it must have been a branch of another Holder family that was attached to it.

As the branch of Holders that I have been looking at were - Henry Holder and his son John Charles Holder.

Yes Lyn, would be very kind of you to call in there armed with your little camera and take some photos if you get the time. That would be nice to see what info they have for you to read.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#161 by astoness , Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:20 pm

will do lynn...ive always got me trusty camera to hand...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#162 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:58 pm

Lynn

Have you got this one, not a pub but an outdoor/ off-sales in Templefield St Small Heath the Templefield Stores

Attached pictures:
phil

#163 by Stirling Single , Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:30 pm

How exciting - You have made my Christmas - a new picture - Do you have a date for this one.
I wonder is this Mrs Nutting standing at the door.
In the window there is a notice that says Holder's Old Ale - Why is it called Old Ale.
Mabe someone can come up with the history of the store and the timescale of when { does it say - Philip Nutting } was there.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#164 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:48 pm

Lynn

I would think that the couple in the doorway are Mrs Nutting and daughter, I think it was usual for the lady of the house to look after outdoors and the man to go out to work at a day job.

Old Ale was aged a little longer than the normal ale and therefore became a little stronger than the normal ale. I'd be more interested to know what the photos or paintings are on display in the window.

Perhaps Mike might be able to find out a little of the history of the shop.

phil

#165 by mikejee , Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:37 pm

Lynn
Old ale is a strong brew usually brewed in the winter. It keeps for a long time because of the high alcohol content, which is why it is called old ale
Couldn't find the Nuttings in directories, so it must be in one of the gaps:

From directories (remembering that year is publicationnyear and info may be a year or so out of date
1876 Not listed
1878-9 Joshua Smith, beer retailer
1880-82 Alfred Trueman*, beer retailer
1882-84 Alfred Thurman*, beer retailer
1888-1901# William John Woodcock, beer retailer & Woocock & Son mineral water manufacturers
1903 William Pillinger, beer retailer
1904-05 Solomon Summers, beer retailer
1908-10 William Edward Wall, beer retailer
1912 George Dulay, beer retailer
1913 No listing
* The census seems to show an Alfred Thurman there in 1881. Am not sure if Trueman isn’t a misprint for Thurman.
# 1901 date from census, not directories

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

Last edited 12.22.2012 | Top

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor