Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Holders Pubs in Birmingham,

#106 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:16 am

Lynn

You are quite right it could possibly be the London Gaiety, perhaps I was mistaken because of the way the advert was worded. Have a look and judge for yourself.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/image...52681&s=kitchen

phil

#107 by Stirling Single , Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:28 pm

Phil,
Have studied this picture before but like yourself, not sure about the Gaiety bit but am fasinated with the way you have got this link on Amazon and also with the Zoom on it !
Is it easy or is it not easy to explain how you manage to find this, like this, on Amazon.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

#108 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:35 pm

Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Lynn

I just came across it while searching for something else, when I started to look into it I found the same print was for sale on Ebay. Though I noticed it didn't have the enlargement facility on there.

Phil

phil

#109 by Voltman , Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:42 pm

Don't forget to use your screen zoom as well.

http://www.npl.co.uk/
http://www.gutenberg.org/
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#110 by astoness , Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:28 am

lynn ive just been looking through my pubs books.. have you got the observatory inn on your list...another holders pub from my neck o the woods..dad used to drink in here...corner of barkers st/hunters road...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#111 by Stirling Single , Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi Lyn,
Thanks for thinking about me when you came across this one.
On my list there is one that Phil gave me - Observatory Inn, Hunters Rd, Lozells - It's at the bottom of the page on Page 2. - Is this the same one or do you have a different photo.
Must get down to making myself an alphabetical list sometime ! Another job for the winter.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#112 by mikejee , Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:23 am

Lynn
In case you haven't seen it. Not sure if it is a review of the palce or an advert in the text of the paper (which the papers of the time were good at doing. From Birm Post 2.19.1862

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#113 by astoness , Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:19 pm

Quote: Stirling Single wrote in post #111
Hi Lyn,
Thanks for thinking about me when you came across this one.
On my list there is one that Phil gave me - Observatory Inn, Hunters Rd, Lozells - It's at the bottom of the page on Page 2. - Is this the same one or do you have a different photo.
Must get down to making myself an alphabetical list sometime ! Another job for the winter.
Lynn.

hi lynn yes ive got the one phil posted dated abt 1945 but i also have another head on shot of the pub dated 1924..its on the back of one of my pub books but the price of the book is part of the pic so i will ask someone to erase that before i post it for you..

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#114 by Stirling Single , Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:13 pm

Thanks Mike and Lyn,
Mike - This report is good in reporting many names of the folk that performed there
and Lyn - Look forward to your picture to add to my collection. Does it give a date on it.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#115 by astoness , Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:35 am

Quote: Stirling Single wrote in post #114
Thanks Mike and Lyn,
Mike - This report is good in reporting many names of the folk that performed there
and Lyn - Look forward to your picture to add to my collection. Does it give a date on it.
Lynn.

yes lynn its dated 1924..i can just make out the licensee was gertrude something..to sell foreign wines..can make out the word cider as well..maybe someone can make it all out...

Attached pictures:

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#116 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:51 am

Lynn & Lyn

A couple more photos of the Observatory for you both

Attached pictures:
phil

#117 by Stirling Single , Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:46 pm

Lyn and Phil,
Many thanks to you both.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#118 by Stirling Single , Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:57 pm

Lyn and Phil,
I'm just having a closer look and trying to see a chimney breast, on the right hand side of the building - if that is what you call it, if on the outside of the building.
On Lyn's picture there doesn't seem to be one, yet on Phil's original picture that he sent me and also on his two here there is defnitely a chimney, on the right.
Is it just my eyesight.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#119 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:24 pm

Lynn

Yes I see what you mean, I can accept a chimney being built on the outside as a later addition, but it doesn't look as though it was. The question is which is the right one? I've just had to alter this post as I thought Lyn's pub was only a two storey building, but with a proper look I can see that it is three.

phil
Last edited Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:46 pm | Top

#120 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:41 pm

Well here is the Observatory Inn today, not changed at all but a coat of paint. I know it won't bother you Lynn, but I know a couple of gentlemen who will be very intrigued as to where Lyn's Observatory could be.

Attached pictures:
phil

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor