Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Products we remember

#286 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:20 pm

I hadn't got any lard, unless I nicked out of the chip pan. But that would have meant no chips the following night. I could have used Brylcreem I had plenty of that in those days.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#287 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:37 pm

I fell asleep once in the fireplace after a heavy session in the Avenue, mom tried to get my boots off (cowboy boots) and I went doolally, she left me there all night.
And Proper bread and dripping is something you wouldn't remember VM, a thick crust covered with dripping and jelly, and salt and pepper,
nectar of the gods, and we lived on it, none of this mamby pamby no good for you, load of B***********S, i'M 70 NEARLY AND STILL DO 20 MILES A DAY ON MY BIKE AND COULD RUN MOST BLOKES AROUND THE BLOCK., sorry just noticed the caps lock was on,anyhow I still eat bread and dripping when I can get decent dripping, which isn't very often these days.

signman

#288 by Voltman , Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:42 pm

I remember bread and dripping Signman, I was only showing off with the toast. We weren't always rolling it it you know.
Before I started putting Caviar and FG on my toast I used to eat lumpfish roe with my champagne, and it wasn't vintage, either.
VM

Anyone informed that the universe is expanding and contracting in pulsations of eighty billion years has a right to ask, “What’s in it for me?”
Peter De Vries (b. 1910)
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#289 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:48 pm

I remember once I had a great pair of cowboy boots, I fell asleep in front of the fire. I awoke about 30 minutes later thinking I was being tortured. The sole of my boot was smoldering. The fire had burned a hole nearly all the way through. I had to wear cardboard inside it for weeks because I wasn't about to throw them away.

Make Love, Not War

phil

#290 by Sheldonboy , Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:17 am

Posted by Voltman
I remember bread and dripping Signman, I was only showing off with the toast. We weren't always rolling it it you know.
Before I started putting Caviar and FG on my toast I used to eat lumpfish roe with my champagne, and it wasn't vintage, either.
VM

What's this FG you put on your toast then Volty. An illegal substance maybe.

Brummies Talking....... Get the Buzz
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 08.04.2010 | Top

#291 by Voltman , Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:19 am

Foie Gras. It may become illegal yet.

Anyone informed that the universe is expanding and contracting in pulsations of eighty billion years has a right to ask, “What’s in it for me?”
Peter De Vries (b. 1910)

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#292 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:52 am

This is a new drink just appeared in the USA been onto Amazon where they said you could buy it, (only wanted to check the price, ) and
it says not available yet, I like the name and packaging.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
signman

#293 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:20 am

Posted by Voltman
Foie Gras. It may become illegal yet.

So it should be, anything made from any liver should be, but in this case more so, because of the disgusting way the ducks are reared and force fed to fatten them up.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#294 by Voltman , Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:38 pm

Phil, I told you I didn't want to hear about ducks a while back in your Q&A game.
They may well be the planets most ill treated animal, in full public view yet no one complains.
The chinese, who eat millions of them, package them up, alive, into long bags so the ducks are side by side with just their heads sticking out of the bag.
When they decide it's time for dinner, chinese chef of the day takes a duck and pokes it in the chest with a cocktail stick which he waggles around for a few minutes
until he finally manages to shred the ducks heart and it is fortunate to die and end the agony.
Think about that next time you see duck, whether crispy, Peking or screaming, on a chinese restaurant menu.
VM

Peter De Vries (b. 1910)

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#295 by toady , Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:11 pm

This is one for the girls do you remember hair laquer in sachets like Bel-air that you had to put in a spray bottle.

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#296 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:21 pm

I remember it, I can remember the women in my early life spraying it everywhere. Strong smells of any sort can make me physically sick. Whenever the lacquer bottle came out, I headed for the door. Of course when I was young bouffant hair styles were all the rage for women so it was a bottle of lacquer every time they went out.

even today my wife can only wear unscented hair spray, and only one brand of perfume Anything else then we have to go out separately.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#297 by Sheldonboy , Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:51 am

June let's put it this way, I wa a teenager in the 60s with five older sisters. Believe me I could taste that muck all week. The only thing I hated more was when my Mom or Gran had a home perm. I am surprised that the stench from that never disolved the windows. SB

Brummies Talking....... Get the Buzz
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#298 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:28 am

Yeh I remember that smell too. Its amazing what women will do to themselves to attract men.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#299 by toady , Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:26 pm

Now boys it obviously worked, but I agree home perms used to smell awful.

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#300 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:55 pm

It didn't work for me, my wife had beautiful waist length platinum blond straight hair when I met her. She ruined it when she was 40 by having it all cut off saying she was too old for all that now.

She now spends a fortune at the hairdresser every week having a shampoo & set and a perm about every 8 weeks.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Anyone Remember Crossroads

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor