Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Products we remember

#211 by Sheldonboy , Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:30 am

With the time you spend on your computer Phil, I'm surprised you have time to Forum an opinion.

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#212 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:47 pm

In reality I don't spend that much time, I would say during the course of the day an average of 5 hours. Certainly a lot less time than a lot of people watch the idiot box and most certainly a lot less time than I used to spend in the pub.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#213 by Sheldonboy , Sat May 01, 2010 10:16 pm

I have to say I don't know what I did before I had a computer, I use it for handling and storing my pictures some 12000 Images, I think, I use it for storing my music, around 16000 tracks and for my work in the community which keeps me busy and I am able to keep up with it all with emails.
Just a few years ago I wouldn't have thought I would be capable of all this and of course it has it's applications at work. I am even more surprised because I am largely self taught. No we didn't have computers at School, they had only just invented the abacus.
Does anyone remember the Ready Reckoner books, shop keepers, Market Stall holders used to have them. I know from my years in the Licensed Trade we never had tills that added up for you, we actually had to use our brains, and my God it sharpened up the mental Arithmetic. SB

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#214 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun May 02, 2010 4:17 pm

What gets me is when you go into a local shop and they have to enter figures into the till to add up small amounts. Until it comes up on the till they have no idea what the amount is. Before the tills told them what change to give they were lost.

I used to do a couple of nights a week voluntary behind the bar of our club, the only nights I didn't drink for about 18 months. Once I had got the prices of the drinks off to pat it was a doddle.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#215 by Sheldonboy , Sun May 02, 2010 6:42 pm

A trick I had to learn when I was a pub Head barman was when I was serving someone and adding my round up, I was also adding the trainees round up at the same time, and had to step in if they made a mistake. We had a very busy pub with three rooms and at times we needed a lot of staff, then some of them had to work in different rooms so we had to keep on our toes. VM will remember how busy we were. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#216 by Voltman , Mon May 03, 2010 7:40 am

Busiest in the area, so when we went to help out at other pubs we could replace two of their staff for each one of us.

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#217 by Sheldonboy , Mon May 03, 2010 7:47 am

That's very true, we must have been goo most of them have shut down now.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#218 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon May 03, 2010 8:21 am

They are not bar people today, the old style ones are few and far between.
I used to serve 7 pints on a tray and 3 customers at once and add all the rounds up in my head, customers always made a bee line for me, and on most nights I could make a quarter of my wages in tips
I'm not bragging, just blowing my own trumpet.

signman

#219 by Voltman , Mon May 03, 2010 8:23 am

It's a familiar tune you play, Signman.

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#220 by Sheldonboy , Mon May 03, 2010 8:33 am

On a tray Blimey John we used glasses

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#221 by Voltman , Mon May 03, 2010 9:01 am

I rarely took a tray, I usually had enough to carry.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#222 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon May 03, 2010 9:28 am

And that was in the days of the hand pumps on everything, not your mamby pamby push button taps

signman

#223 by Voltman , Mon May 03, 2010 10:46 am

I only used a Dalek a few times, we were on pumped with a lever tap. A while after I left it was converted to premeasured push buttons.
VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#224 by Sheldonboy , Fri May 14, 2010 5:27 am

Dalek's are misunderstood. Just because they are a different colour and talk funny. ( They should fit in well here )

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#225 by Voltman , Sat May 15, 2010 1:24 am

I am a funny colour and talk differently, does this mean I am the Anti Dalek?

Anyway, am I right? Was that name inscribed on the lower part of the old beer pump "Dalek"?
Or have I remembered it slightly incorrectly. Perhaps there was more than one make.
VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Anyone Remember Crossroads

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor