Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: OPEN ALL HOURS

#2011 by Deleted User , Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:17 am

Morning all,got me pics set up but sadly my old pic collection has gone but my son is going to try to get them...........apart from obvious family pics will be really upset to lose pics of my mates at college.......happy days.Also early days with my dogs.

#2012 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:21 am

Denise you should still be able to get your photos from your old hard drive via an external drive case and usb connection to your laptop.

signman

#2013 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:36 am

Denise

My son was able to do this for me when my last computer gave up the ghost. A drive caddy is very cheap and you can get one from any computer shop, it shouldn't be a problem for your son ti remove your old drive and put it into your caddy. You can then use it as an external back up drive, which insures against the same thing happening again. Of couse this won't work if your drive is frazzled.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil
Last edited Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:37 am | Top

#2014 by toady , Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:39 am

Morning
Did anyone watch Crufts last night on More4? there were some lovely dogs, not as nice as mine you understand!!

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#2015 by Voltman , Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:53 am

Posted by denise
Morning all,got me pics set up but sadly my old pic collection has gone but my son is going to try to get them...........apart from obvious family pics will be really upset to lose pics of my mates at college.......happy days.Also early days with my dogs.

Denise, I really hope you haven't lost any of your photo's, unless the hard drive was the part that failed in your old laptop then Signmans suggestion is the way go.
What this does highlight though is the fact that some people still don't make backups.

A hard drive can fail catastrophically at any time, often without warning and usually without any reasonable way of retrieving the contents. I have spent many days with dodgy drives getting files off a few at a time, all the while trying to keep the drive cool or warm, ot whatever else seems to make it work for a few minutes.
I often go blue in the face telling people who bring their dead PCs to me that If the files are important to you then you should store them in at least three places, one of which should be optical such as properly finalised DVDs. Even DVDs fail after a while so they should be rewritten to new media on a regular basis. But the same people still come back in tears three years later because their entire life is stored soley in their three year old PC.

Sorry to go on about it but it is so easy to do and causes so much trouble when it hasn't been done, so BACK IT UP.
VM

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#2016 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:57 am

Posted by signman
Morning all,
No one upset me SB,I come on here for some stimulating, mind blowing conversation

John

All I have to say to that is, "surely you know this is not the right place for that"?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#2017 by Deleted User , Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:25 pm

Thanks for the advice guys,my son is on about putting it in the Freezer.

I must make sure this does not happen again.

#2018 by astoness , Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:40 pm

hi all..oh den i do hope you manage to retreive your photos....well my daughter and some friends were going to the waggon and horses in brighton today but they were so tired from the night before they didnt make it...just phoned her up and would you beleive they are all still in their jim jams on their way back...[Laugh Out Loud]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#2019 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:55 pm

I waited until 3 , and then went to my other local, they missed some good food and a drink + a good band.

signman

#2020 by astoness , Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:00 pm

hi john..well if i come to brighton im heading straight for the waggon and horses.... i had a good afternoon..went to the aston manor transport museum...had two trips into town on an old bus and again on 40s coach...wonderful nostalgia....

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 03.13.2011 | Top

#2021 by Sheldonboy , Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:21 pm

Just out of interest where is the good lady Astoness, must be on a bar stool somewhere.[It's A knockout]

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#2022 by Sheldonboy , Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Denise, with regard to your Photo's don't forget you also have the pictures that you have posted on BT. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#2023 by astoness , Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:37 pm

Posted by Sheldonboy
Just out of interest where is the good lady Astoness, must be on a bar stool somewhere.[It's A knockout]

no shes not....[Hammers]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#2024 by Sheldonboy , Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:45 pm

Posted by astoness

Posted by Sheldonboy

no shes not....[Hammers]

Chucked you out already then, singing too loud was it.[Silly Grin]

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#2025 by astoness , Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:52 pm

actually SB and for you info i was doing some ancestry look ups....so there...and i do not stand on bar stools and sing...i use the tables[Laugh Out Loud]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor