Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: OPEN ALL HOURS

#5776 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:48 pm

Well it's stopping nice with no change at the moment. You never know it might last the day out. Got to nick out in a moment to take the wife to the doctors. It's time for her MOT and oil change.

phil

#5777 by astoness , Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:13 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #20058
Well it's stopping nice with no change at the moment. You never know it might last the day out. Got to nick out in a moment to take the wife to the doctors. It's time for her MOT and oil change.

shes not a car phil...[Hammer Head Yellow]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#5778 by Sheldonboy , Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:13 pm

Quote: astoness wrote in post #20059
Quote: phil wrote in post #20058

shes not a car phil...[Hammer Head Yellow]

No but she's got a Bonnet and gives Phil a run for his money,[Laugh Out Loud]

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#5779 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:14 pm

Quite right shes not a car, but she costs more than my car to run.

phil

#5780 by Sheldonboy , Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:19 pm

As long as she doesn't have to sleep in the Garage Phil

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#5781 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm

Shes fine shes got a sump heater

phil

#5782 by Sheldonboy , Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:39 pm

I dread to think what a sump is

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#5783 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:16 pm

Yes I forgot you don't drive, a sump heater was a little heater that you put under your car at night to keep the engine oil in the sump at the bottom of the car. The made starting the car easier in the morning. You know like kicking the wife out of bed first to get the kettle on and the breakfast cooked.

phil

#5784 by Sheldonboy , Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:19 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #20065
Yes I forgot you don't drive, a sump heater was a little heater that you put under your car at night to keep the engine oil in the sump at the bottom of the car. The made starting the car easier in the morning. You know like kicking the wife out of bed first to get the kettle on and the breakfast cooked.

I know what a sump heater is, I wondered where it went in your situation.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#5785 by Voltman , Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:12 am

I remember the days of horrific car accessories and implements.

Having once possesed an electric bar heater with rubber sucker feet for windscreen heating I know what these devices meant to the owners with cars in the fifties and sixties. By the the time I got hold of my first car, a 1962 Morris Oxford, I was sufficiently aware of the dangers of these things to never get the urge to put them to use.
In any event, in the case of the sump heater, multigrade oil negated the need for such dangerous arrangements.

My Oxford had a roller blind that was mounted at the bottom front of the radiator, it was raised by means of a toilet flush type of chain and handle mounted under the dashboard. So whilst lesser vehicles drove around with carpets, and other such rubbish, protecting the radiator from the winter chill effect of fan belt driven radiator fans, I just had to raise the blind for the first few miles of my journey.

I really miss that car and all it's quirks. It taught me never to get too attached to a vehicle.

http://www.npl.co.uk/
http://www.gutenberg.org/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#5786 by astoness , Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:56 am

Quote: Voltman wrote in post #20067
I remember the days of horrific car accessories and implements.

Having once possesed an electric bar heater with rubber sucker feet for windscreen heating I know what these devices meant to the owners with cars in the fifties and sixties. By the the time I got hold of my first car, a 1962 Morris Oxford, I was sufficiently aware of the dangers of these things to never get the urge to put them to use.
In any event, in the case of the sump heater, multigrade oil negated the need for such dangerous arrangements.

My Oxford had a roller blind that was mounted at the bottom front of the radiator, it was raised by means of a toilet flush type of chain and handle mounted under the dashboard. So whilst lesser vehicles drove around with carpets, and other such rubbish, protecting the radiator from the winter chill effect of fan belt driven radiator fans, I just had to raise the blind for the first few miles of my journey.

I really miss that car and all it's quirks. It taught me never to get too attached to a vehicle.

bet you wished you still had that old moggy volty...be worth a bob or two now...i remember in the early 70s my friend had a bottle green morris minor and i used to get a lift to work and back in it...she loved that car.

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 10.10.2012 | Top

#5787 by astoness , Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:17 am

morning all....[Big Smile]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#5788 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:34 am

A dank and dismal morning this morning, lets hope it brightens up.

Things happen. People come and go. Life ain't always fair, but it's always worth living!!!

phil

#5789 by astwood , Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:12 am

Morning All
Dull morning up here looks like rain later

astwood  
astwood
Date registered 02.28.2012

#5790 by astoness , Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:02 pm

afternoon all..not had bad day today...at least it stayed dry as i had to go out earlier...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor