Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: OPEN ALL HOURS

#556 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:41 pm

Mike don't start me on Supermarkets, or else I won't stop, For instance can you tell me why all supermarkets have at least 2 or 3 check outs that are never used. More and more seem to be turning half their check outs over to self scanning check out which I refuse to use.

Phil

phil

#557 by astoness , Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:46 pm

Posted by phil
Mike don't start me on Supermarkets, or else I won't stop, For instance can you tell me why all supermarkets have at least 2 or 3 check outs that are never used. More and more seem to be turning half their check outs over to self scanning check out which I refuse to use.

Phil

glad i am not the only one who will not use the self checkouts phil...more trouble than they are worth in my opinion..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#558 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:29 pm

Lyn

From what I can see of them, unless there is a customer using them who doesn't know how to use them. They look easy and more efficient to use. It's not because ease of use I refuse to make use of them, but the ultimate aim of the supermarkets and that is to change over to this type of cash out altogether.

I refuse to help put anybody out of work, and anybody who has a conscience should do the same. I know when I have been standing in a queue at a checkout and I have been advised that the self scanner positions were being unused. I have said to the person telling me "I wonder if you will be so quick to point this fact out, when you are working your notice because the self scanner has taken your job"

Phil

phil

#559 by astoness , Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:37 pm

very good point phil..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#560 by mikejee , Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:06 pm

You are right Phil, it is the aim to reduce staff. But I'm not sure a few people refusing to use them will do much good. Certainly in the case of the supermarket i usually use (sainsburys), since the self -use checkouts came in the average length of queues at the checkouts has decreased considerably.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#561 by astoness , Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:11 pm

well mike i dont queues of any dispription..most annoying...[Little LOL]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#562 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:18 pm

Posted by mikejee
You are right Phil, it is the aim to reduce staff. But I'm not sure a few people refusing to use them will do much good. Certainly in the case of the supermarket i usually use (sainsburys), since the self -use checkouts came in the average length of queues at the checkouts has decreased considerably.

Mike, this is exactly the type of thinking they want to produce they have probably told the till staff to speed things up or opened more checkouts.

Phil

phil

#563 by lynne webb , Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:40 pm

I've only used them self serve things once, something wouldnt scan so I had to wait for someone to come and sort it, I would have been quicker in a queue.

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#564 by astoness , Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:44 pm

lynne they always say if you want a job doing properly do it yerself..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#565 by signman ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:49 pm

I absolutely refuse to use them on the same principle as Phil.
My local Morrisons has 5 and are installing another 5 in the near future.
It also drives me nuts when they ask if I need help packing,and I tell them so,their answer we've been told to ask ,I then say have you been told to ask if we wanted those infernal machines,no comment is the answer.

signman

#566 by lynne webb , Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:52 pm

Not when it comes to check outs Lyn, I prefer to just hand my money over.

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#567 by signman ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:55 pm

Here's the new American Express building going up faster than a rocket and the old building in front.
Plus 2 side views and the back,what a strange thing to put that imitation stone work on the back, it looks worse than cladding.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
signman

#568 by signman ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:59 pm

This is part of the American Express deal,social housing,whoopee doo,4 houses, at least they have tried to blend them in with the existing ones, but not very good to my way of thinking.

signman
Last edited Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:00 pm | Top

#569 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:09 pm

John

Yes some of this modern architecture leaves a lot to be desired. Though i thought the houses blend in pretty well except for the roofs. Thats not lead is it? I would have thought that an expensive choice.

Phil

phil

#570 by signman ( deleted ) , Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:28 pm

No I don't think it's lead Phil, I hope they try and replicate the window sills.

signman

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor