#437 by astwood , Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:13 am

Morning All
Nice and sunny but a bit nippy

astwood  
astwood
Date registered 02.28.2012

RE: OPEN ALL HOURS

#438 by Sheldonboy , Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:31 am

Morning Astwood, nice morning for a beer.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not sure about the former.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#439 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:07 am

Good morning all.

Yes a fine sunny morning even if somewhat cold.

phil

#440 by tca , Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:13 am

evening all, (shades of dixon) you wont be supprised to hear that here in OZ we suffer with the same problems with councilors, some really do start with the best of intentions often on single issues, only to find that they cant infulance that issue without having to support something else in return - quid pro qo -
like you we currently have a hung parliment which means the greens and a couple of indipendents are keeping the labour government in power, the three year stint of this will be over in september, its been very sad as the government has not been able to impliment its programmes, whilst im not keen to have the liberals in, this stagnant period is only holding the country back, so whichever way the cookie crumbles - i hope is clear cut, having stood for an election many years ago i totally agree that unless your a memeber of a major party its very expensive

tca
Date registered 11.27.2012

#441 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:35 pm

Well we are off out again tonight for another free meal, I think our family thinks that we don't feed ourselves at home. We seem to have at least one meal a week out these days. I suppose it's one of the joys of being old. I hope it's not one of those posh places tonight where you need a magnifying glass to see your meal. At least when I am paying I can choose the restaurant.

phil

#442 by mikejee , Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:52 pm

Phil
You mean one of those places that think food should be a work of art and it is not necessary to eat it. The only thing i like about those places are that I can keep well away, unlike the boring cookery programs telling people how wonderful this sort of food is, produced in most cases by disfunctional prats

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#443 by Sheldonboy , Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:12 pm

Quote: mikejee wrote in post #21559
Phil
You mean one of those places that think food should be a work of art and it is not necessary to eat it. The only thing i like about those places are that I can keep well away, unlike the boring cookery programs telling people how wonderful this sort of food is, produced in most cases by disfunctional prats

Are we to take then, that you are not a fan Mike.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#444 by astoness , Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:26 pm

im not a fan either...give me normal home cooking any day of the week..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#445 by Sheldonboy , Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:05 pm

While I do enjoy trying different meals, I always enjoy the basics.
A real old fashioned Roast dinner, be it Lamb with Mint sauce, roast beef with yorkshires (and of course English mustard). Roast Pork and Apple sauce (and of course English mustard).
Then of course even though I have had some meals countless times, I will never tire of :
Fish and chips
Beans on toast
Breakfasts:
Bacon and Egg
Sausage and Egg
Tomatoes etc etc.
If there is room then I will try other meals.
At the risk of upsetting ay puritans I really love Ostrich burgers. These ostriches are farmed for the job and are really low in fat, they taste really beefy and have the consistency of a beef burger and they are larger than most burgers that you can buy.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#446 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:37 pm

Phil

Mike

You hit it on the head, another thing I don't like is this pretentious idea of serving courses on slabs of wood or stone, what happened to good old fashioned plates. My meal was pretty good good tonight I had a good old fashioned medium rare rump steak with chips and fresh tomato. I have to say that I didn't like the wedge of iceberg lettuce covered with melted cheese that was offered up with it. Then there was the cheese course served on a wooden slab, don't tell me thats hygienic. How do you clean a plank of wood ready for the next customer?

phil

#447 by mikejee , Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:32 pm

Phil
I'm not too kean either on the metal plates for steaks at about 500ºC that burn your hands when you touch them and make the mustard on the side of your plate dry up before you use it.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#448 by Deleted User , Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:26 am

I seem to remember someone saying that wood surfaces are quite hygienic........must look it up.

#449 by Deleted User , Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:36 am

#450 by astoness , Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:00 am

Quote: phil wrote in post #21563
Phil

Mike

You hit it on the head, another thing I don't like is this pretentious idea of serving courses on slabs of wood or stone, what happened to good old fashioned plates. My meal was pretty good good tonight I had a good old fashioned medium rare rump steak with chips and fresh tomato. I have to say that I didn't like the wedge of iceberg lettuce covered with melted cheese that was offered up with it. Then there was the cheese course served on a wooden slab, don't tell me thats hygienic. How do you clean a plank of wood ready for the next customer?

phil i would ask a good butcher how to clean a plank of wood or should i say slab of wood...they have been doing it for years in the butchers shops but as for these wooden slabs used in restaurants i guess all they get is a quick swill under the tap not a good scrubbing..i went in a pub a couple of years back and ordered steak and onions ..chips and salad...the steak came to me on a slab of wood which although it may have been washed was horribly discoloured from previous use so i sent it back and ask for it to be served to me on a normal plate with the chips and salad on the same plate not all in seperate dishes...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 02.03.2013 | Top

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor