Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Open All Hours

#1741 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:08 pm

Lyn

Yes I'm afraid I agree, I think we dropped a clanger with the new Bull Ring. I shouldn't really comment because I still haven't been up and seen it yet. To be honest with what I have seen already on the TV and in the papers I just know I am going to hate it.

There are parts that I like and I am glad to see that there are parts of the town that they have tried to retain. On the whole I would only give a 6 out of 10, but I would reserve final judgement until I finally see it.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#1742 by Sheldonboy , Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:59 am

Sorry folks I disagree. I am not in favour of replacing old buildings with new ones just for the sake of it. But the old bull Ring that was recently replaced was an outright disgrace. If it could have been cleaned up that would have been all well and good. Any one who preferred the old one to the new never saw the same place that I did.
Edgebaston Street was a mess. The Midland Red Bus Garage was an absolute toilet and a dangerous place to be during any hours that it went quiet. The Rag Market was a filthy disgrace.
The Church area was awful with burger vans opposite it's entrance, just what you want on your wedding pictures. The Church area now is really nice.
The indoor Market was a Concrete Bloody monstrocity. Not to mention the Urine soaked beggar infested tunnels and subways that you were expected to walk through. Many people had their newly purchased goods taken from them in those places.
The new Bully has many nice places to eat. You can walk in safety in nice clean surroundings. As you say Phil you have never seen the New Bull Ring so you cannot possibly judge it. If it had been in my personal power I would have blown the old one up myself.
Many coachloads of people come to the Bull Ring Every week and thousands more by train and car and go away impressed, this would never have happened with the old Bull Ring.
If anyone visits our Bull and doesn't like it, I respect their view. But not when someone hasn't been there. The Bull Ring cannot totally be judged from the outside either you must see the inside too to appreciate it
The only problem with the Bully now is that it's so popular and gets so busy it could have done with being bigger. SB

Brummies Talking....... Get the Buzz
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#1743 by Deleted User , Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:37 am

Morning all........Lyn I would be itching to go to the states if I had family there but as I am scared of long haul flights it would never happen LOLHope your family have a great christmas with you and you are all welcome to vist The Close here as lots of History to show here......mince pies and something to keep out the cold thrown in LOL

Sun out but cold and the bells giving it some wellie.

#1744 by astoness , Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:53 am

morning SB...i have to agree with you on all points about the bad state the bull ring area was...totally agree with everything you say....its much cleaner now and easier on the eye and i dont say this very often but the planners got one thing right.....when you walk up high st towards the new bull ring centre the view of st martins just looms up before your eyes...cant beleive the planners got that so right as its a lovely view of the church....my gripe is and always has been and always will be total disreguard they had in the 50s and 60s for our many sound historical buildings...just swept aside in the name of progress and to line the fat cats pockets....thats what annoys me so much....buildings we will never see the likes of again..just one springs to mind..the old central library..think ive posted a pic of it on here...they delmolish it..build in its place some monstrosity that resembles a multi story car park...and about 40 years on thats to be replaced by something that looks more like a brillo pad to me....wonder how long that will last....ohhh i get so angry and its not good for me....

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#1745 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:43 am

Perhaps my judgement is tainted because I have so many memories of the old 60's style Bull Ring. I spent the whole of 67 and the most of 68 practically living there and there were times that I never went home to my flat (bedsit) for over a week.

I think the fantastic times I had then might make me see things through the rose tinted glasses that I actually wore at the time. Also the Bull Ring was still nearly new and fresh at the time and nobody was voicing the opinion that it was a dump. Like today people were heading here from all over the country just to see it.

It was only later when it became neglected by the City Council thats peoples opinion began to differ accompanied by other towns who did not have the courage to modernise on the scale that Birmingham did. Those that waited until the 70's & 80's when ideas on architecture had changed and building methods with them. You never heard towns like Coventry & Redditch slagging Birmingham off and many other towns rebuilt in the image of Birmingham.

After saying that, I think many features of the pre 60's Bull Ring could have been saved and revitalised for our modern world. The old Market Hall being one of them. All it needed was a new roof and refitting inside, Why did we need Manzoni Gardens there, I thing we may have had a little self aggrandising there.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#1746 by Sheldonboy , Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:35 pm

I have made the offer before Phil and it still stands. Anytime you would like a guided tour of the new Bully just let me know. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#1747 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:40 pm

Ask him if breakfast is thrown in Phil,I'll be there as well, we could make it a BT outing.

signman

#1748 by Sheldonboy , Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:42 pm

I'll buy you breakfast anytime John and the Shirley Shirker.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#1749 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:47 pm

I'm in agreement with SB, (that's worth a free breakfast ) I love the bull ring and the shopping centre is still no 1 shopping capital of Europe.
The only gripe I've got is the number of chain outlet stores, still they are the only ones can afford the rent I suppose.
Talking of knocking buildings down,when I get off this laptop and back on my main machine I'll post a photo and give you a little quiz.

signman

#1750 by astoness , Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:48 pm

hey you guys...what about little old me and denise.....im up for a bully brekkie and a BT meet up...just say the word...[Skipping Happy]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#1751 by astoness , Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:50 pm

oh wow..den...thanks very much...i think will is going to hire a car while they are over here so we just may land on yer doorstep...[Skipping Happy]

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#1752 by Sheldonboy , Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:24 pm

Posted by astoness
hey you guys...what about little old me and denise.....im up for a bully brekkie and a BT meet up...just say the word...[Skipping Happy]

I knew it all you have to do is mention food.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#1753 by astoness , Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:59 pm

cant beat a bit of bully SB..[Laugh Out Loud]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#1754 by Sheldonboy , Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:04 pm

Mmmmmmmmmmm...?

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#1755 by Deleted User , Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:10 pm

I will just jump on the train,almost door to door.

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor