Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Schools And Teachers In The News

#1 by berniew , Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:03 pm

It was reported in the media this week that the headmistress of a primary school was paid £276000 per year and some teachers earn £100000 per year , these are responsible positions but their saleries seem collosal for what seems a run of the mill job. The state of school buildings has also been on the news lately and it seems to me that some of the wages spent on these teachers would be better spent on the fabric of the buildings they teach in , if all the reports are actually true Bernie

berniew  
berniew
Date registered 12.28.2009

Last edited 05.07.2014 | Top

RE: schools and teachersIn the

#2 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:40 pm

Hi Bernie

It's been a while since we last saw you on here, but what you are saying seems to be true. I have read reports amounting to more or less the same story. These are the poor souls who work for peanuts (according to them).

How can a headmaster earn more than the Prime Minister of the country. Lets face the prime minister has to keep a few more pupils in line than the head of the biggest school.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#3 by Sheldonboy , Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:48 pm

Hi Bernie nice to hear from you, I can say for definate that the average pay for a primary Head Teacher is far less than that story mentions. London jobs have always been weighted to cover the extra cost of living. But the salaries that you quoted from that story are excessive. The Governors at those schools should be reprImanded for allowing them. SB

Please spread the word about Brummies Talking
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#4 by berniew , Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:19 pm

Hi SB do the governers set the pay scale I really wasn't aware they had so much power , wages and repairs I always , wrongly , assumed would be controlled by someone elected by the public or at least work for a department run by an elected body . I find that quite disturbing that a body of school goveners wield such financial power , the oportunity for fraud nepotism and back handers is mind boggling Bernie

berniew  
berniew

#5 by Sheldonboy , Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:26 pm

Yes Governors set the pay for Heads. They are paid on a points scale. The governors have to decide. Taking the School available budget, the Heads experience and the needs of the school etc into consideration. Further up the line the Heads salary could be improved if he/she proved worthy and if the budget could stand it. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#6 by berniew , Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:02 pm

Well I didn't know that how are the governers elected , I presume they are Bernie

berniew  
berniew

#7 by Deleted User , Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:09 pm

Some of the wages we hear about are eye watering......on the other hand teaching in some schools is a nightmare,I was listening to a prog on Radio 4the other day about teachers who have been suspended because of false allegations from children..........what awful stress this has caused some people.Not a job I would want for any money....sad sighn of the times.

#8 by Sheldonboy , Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:12 pm

No sir Goverors are appointed. All school governors places are owned by the three main political parties. They can be put in position by these parties but usually there is a shortfall. School Governors form the single biggest volunteer force in this country.
There can be Staff Governors, Parent Governors and LEA Governors these are appointed by The Local Education Authority.
Anyone over 18 can apply to be a Governor, and there is no upper age limit. The chair and officers are elected. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#9 by berniew , Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:27 pm

So the chair and theofficers are elected by the unelected and all volenteers , strange system SB .I agree Denise it's a very stressful job and I'm sure these headline wages are not the norm but even at half the money it seems very well paid compared to nursing or carers for elderly people which I think are stressful as well Bernie

berniew  
berniew

#10 by Deleted User , Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:33 pm

That is true Bernie

#11 by Sheldonboy , Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:15 am

School Governors advertise for, interview and appoint head teachers.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#12 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:32 pm

I came across this on UTube today, watch it all it makes interesting viewing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Llj6PDLdL8&feature=related

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#13 by Voltman , Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:31 pm

You have to wonder how much of this is going on nationwide.

Anyone informed that the universe is expanding and contracting in pulsations of eighty billion years has a right to ask, “What’s in it for me?”
Peter De Vries (b. 1910)
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#14 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:38 pm

Too much I would imagine.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#15 by berniew , Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:40 pm

That really is eyewatering money Phil but it sounds like a huge scam has taken place . I doubt those goveners will be in place much longer Bernie

berniew  
berniew

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
ASBO'S

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor