Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: WHAT DO YOU THINK ?

#61 by Voltman , Wed May 12, 2010 9:11 am

I believe Big Ben and most other large clocks are wound by electric motor, is that where I come in?
VM

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#62 by Sheldonboy , Wed May 12, 2010 2:47 pm

Personally I think you should be Charged for that comment.

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#63 by Voltman , Sat May 15, 2010 2:18 am

Coulomb

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#64 by Sheldonboy , Sat May 15, 2010 5:28 am

Elementary my dear Voltson

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#65 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat May 15, 2010 1:59 pm

Signman & Voltman have suggested that the banner under our header "what we really think about Birmingham" might be a bit ambiguous.

So here is a chance for you all to make a suggestion to what might replace it. I can't fill you in on the technicalities of why this is important Voltman can do that as he understands these things.

We are open to suggestions (of a proper kind)

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#66 by Voltman , Sat May 15, 2010 5:43 pm

I think the trick will be to incorporate as many words as possible, that describe our forum, whilst still making sense to the reader.
VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#67 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat May 15, 2010 6:12 pm

Something along the lines of

"The place for friendly chat about modern day and historic Birmingham. Including architecture, transport, places of interest and helpful advice to visitors to our City".

Or would that be too much?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#68 by Sheldonboy , Sun May 16, 2010 8:40 pm

Phil you are on the right lines, I think but it sounds a bit heavy.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#69 by Sheldonboy , Sun May 16, 2010 9:16 pm

I can't see how we can give the message we desire in just a few short words.

This is just another offering.

Birmingham is our Speciality, but we welcome everyone who is looking for a comfortable place to be.
...........................For Chat, Information, Quizes and Games. Conversation.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#70 by Voltman , Sun May 16, 2010 10:08 pm

I like Phils line.
But, to be honest I'm not sure how any of this works as a metatag. I wasn't expecting worms when I first opened this can but Signman found them.
The list of keywords is supposed to be separated by ,Commas, with a keyword being just one or a few words between the commas.
I didn't expect to find that the keywords used by Xbor for this Forum were the ones we read at the top of the page. The two uses are at odds with each other
Maybe there is a way of having both.

There is also an issue with a couple of other Metatags, namely
meta name="description" content="OUR NOBLE MASTERS"
meta name="robots" content="INDEX,FOLLOW"
Which may negate the effect of the keywords we are concered about anyway.

The Description tag is what appears in the search engine listings as a description of the website and this may overide the effect of the keywords.

I repectfully suggest that perhaps Phil should just put his line in both places as soon as he likes, it has quite a few commas which means it will work well as a metatag and it is readable so it will work well as a heading.
We can discuss improvements, if any are to be had, at a later time, and meanwhile we can see is the Forum rises in the search engines.

Incidentally if anyone looks for the Forum in a search engine listing, it is a good idea to click on any entries found as this is also a mechanism that promotes a website up through the ranks of the listings.

The lines might be....
meta name="keywords" content=The place for friendly chat, about modern day and historic Birmingham. Including, architecture, transport, places of interest and helpful advice, for visitors to our City
meta name="description" content=The place for friendly chat, about modern day and historic Birmingham. Including, architecture, transport, places of interest and helpful advice, for visitors to our City

VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 05.16.2010 | Top

#71 by Sheldonboy , Mon May 17, 2010 4:59 am

one thing is for sure, we can't rely on the name Birmingham for Google to find us. If you enter Birmingham you will find many sites for Birmingham Alabama, Birmingham City FC and many others.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Last edited 05.17.2010 | Top

#72 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon May 17, 2010 2:28 pm

What about

The place for, Birmingham, chat, about, buildings, transport, places of interest, hobbies also, not forgetting, games,quizzes, and information on Brum.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil
Last edited Mon May 17, 2010 6:38 pm | Top

#73 by Voltman , Mon May 17, 2010 6:22 pm

Looks good.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#74 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue May 18, 2010 7:17 am

Not Birmingham related, but what about this from a H and S aspect, nearly all of the back panel is glass and the've gone back to hop on/off .
Design for Londons new Routemaster bus Boris Johnsons new baby.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
signman

#75 by Sheldonboy , Tue May 18, 2010 7:32 am

Very pretty but insane

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Useless Information-Just for fun

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor