Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: WHAT DO YOU THINK ?

#31 by Voltman , Sun May 02, 2010 10:09 am

Oh well that happens all the time old chap.
Did the Doctor give you some tablets? Did you forget to take them again?

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#32 by Sheldonboy , Sun May 02, 2010 1:53 pm

No he just used his Sonic Screwdriver

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#33 by Voltman , Sun May 02, 2010 2:57 pm

Mmmm, loose screws and all that. Probably beyond fixin'.

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#34 by Sheldonboy , Sun May 02, 2010 3:03 pm

Ralgex and WD40 work wonders.

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#35 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon May 03, 2010 9:02 am

This one is for Voltman,
I listen to all night radio 5, and last night was driven barmy by some nurd who spent 10 minutes explaining ampitude modulation, what the **** is that.

signman

#36 by Voltman , Mon May 03, 2010 11:27 am

Amplitude Modulation (AM) is where the strength (Amplitude) of the signal carried by the radio wave is varied (Modulated) according to the strength of the audio frequencies it is carrying. This variation is easily filtered off and converted back to audio and is the signal a crystal set works with.

Frequency Modulation (FM) is where the Frequency of the radio wave is varied (Modulated) according to the strength of the audio frequencies it is carrying. This signal is more complicated to convert to audio.

Better, and more complicated, explanantions abound on t'internet.
VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#37 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon May 03, 2010 11:41 am

Thanks Volty, it all started when some silly so and so rang in and asked why his radio got louder as he was nearer the transmitter.

signman

#38 by Voltman , Mon May 03, 2010 11:56 am

Have you ever driven past the Droitwhich transmitter?

Last time I went by all I could get on the radio was Radio 2. They transmit a massive signal compared to the rest.
I have this theory that a box of disconnected radio bits would play something if put near that transmitter.
VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#39 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon May 03, 2010 12:52 pm

Why do I get police and other emergency services radio signals over my computer speakers when they are nearby?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#40 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon May 03, 2010 1:23 pm

Phil,
We used to get them coming through the jukebox at the Beeches.

signman

#41 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon May 03, 2010 3:07 pm

John

Trust the coppers they will do anything for a free after time drink

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#42 by Voltman , Mon May 03, 2010 4:03 pm

Must have been some sort of tunnel and trap door arrangement.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#43 by Voltman , Mon May 03, 2010 4:17 pm

There is a coil of wire in a loudspeaker that I suppose could become a tuned circuit if there is also a capacitor across the coil for frequency filtering purposes.
As the circuit isn't designed for a receiver it could easily have a very wide band acceptance (low selectivity) and could pickup some very strong local signals.
Your speakers appear either not to be screened or the cables are very long or both.

Or the radio reception is being performed elsewhere in your system and you blame the speakers because that is the only place the audio can emanate from.

The police now use a newish digital technology called TETRA for their transmissions, which whilst it does interfere with some other equipment is unintelligable.
The fire service is still in the clear but is a bit of a grotty signal.
VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#44 by signman ( deleted ) , Sat May 08, 2010 7:10 am

Is it only me, but it seems that only the first 5 or 6 threads are added to each day,and all the rest seem to be added to a list of pages and forgotten.

signman

#45 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat May 08, 2010 9:22 am

John

Yes it does seem to be that way, but in general this only means that no one has anything further to add on the topic. One of the problems of being a small forum with a small membership.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Useless Information-Just for fun

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor