Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Jessops In Administration

#1 by Sheldonboy , Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:03 pm

It will be a sad shame if Jessops go bust, there are very few dedicated camera shops around now.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20958659

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
and I'm not sure about the former.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 03.11.2018 | Top

RE: Jessops in administration

#2 by Deleted User , Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:37 pm

Wonder how many others will go under this year ?

#3 by mikejee , Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:46 pm

It's a shame , as cameras are one thing i would like to see and ask a salesman about before buying. the fault of this is in the gross over expansion of the firm some years ago. In Reading they opened 2 shops, and there was no way that this was justified except to boost the egos of the management. On ewent soem time ago(and quite rightly), and now maybe the other will also

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#4 by astoness , Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:33 am

just heard that over 200 jessop shops at risk..also heard that M&S have hit a slump...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:43 am

The trouble is that cameras are so cheap and uncomplicated that you can buy them anywhere and a shop that is limited to cameras only has a lot of competition.

phil

#6 by astoness , Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:20 am

Quote: phil wrote in post #5
The trouble is that cameras are so cheap and uncomplicated that you can buy them anywhere and a shop that is limited to cameras only has a lot of competition.

phil another factor is that the picture quality on the hi tec mobile phones that you can get now is that good that the 18 to say 40 years olds are just not buying cameras..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#7 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:31 pm

Lyn

Although I have a camera facility on my mobile I don't think I have ever used it, as the phone is only a cheap PAYG phone I doubt it would be much good anyway.

phil

#8 by astoness , Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:33 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #7
Lyn

Although I have a camera facility on my mobile I don't think I have ever used it, as the phone is only a cheap PAYG phone I doubt it would be much good anyway.

same here phil i only have a cheapo moblile and dont use it to take photos..but the younger folk are buying mobiles at £500 plus with good pic quality...internet and games access etc etc etc...even if i could afford one i wouldnt bother as i would never use all of these options so i will stick to me little panasonic lumix camera..quite sufficient for my needs...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#9 by Sheldonboy , Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:03 pm

This is real sad news, you can keep your argos and Amazon, there are very few shops for people really interested in photography to get help and advice. Apart from the loss of jobs.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20992125

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#10 by astoness , Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:05 am

i agree SB...had to go to jessops a couple of times for advise with a larger camera i have and they were most helpful..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#11 by Deleted User , Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:22 pm

You do pay more in these shops but the advice they give is worth its weight in gold.

Sad to see the small shop here almost stripped bare already.....sad.

#12 by Sheldonboy , Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:30 pm

[quote=denise|p76043]You do pay more in these shops but the advice they give is worth its weight in gold.

Sad to see the small shop here almost stripped bare already.....sad.[/quote

It was a sad sight in Cherry Street today, the shop staff were packing all of their stock up to be returned to a central warehouse, with the idea that it can be sent back to their suppliers. There wasn't even a sale, the shops were shut yesterday packed up today, emptied tomorrow. Very sad to see some really experienced people thrown out of work.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Last edited 01.12.2013 | Top

#13 by Deleted User , Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:50 pm

Hallmark...a lovely card and gift shop is closing at the end of the month.More jobs gone and along with it a nice place to shop.

#14 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:09 pm

Quote: denise wrote in post #13
Hallmark...a lovely card and gift shop is closing at the end of the month.More jobs gone and along with it a nice place to shop.

Too many good businesses are going. Some Dinosaurs deserve to go but some I think have seen very good days and have been overmilked for their profits. Trouble is when the goose is overcooked the greedy management just dont spot thin times on the horizon until it's too late to start making changes.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#15 by astoness , Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:24 pm

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #12
[quote=denise|p76043]You do pay more in these shops but the advice they give is worth its weight in gold.

Sad to see the small shop here almost stripped bare already.....sad.[/quote

It was a sad sight in Cherry Street today, the shop staff were packing all of their stock up to be returned to a central warehouse, with the idea that it can be sent back to their suppliers. There wasn't even a sale, the shops were shut yesterday packed up today, emptied tomorrow. Very sad to see some really experienced people thrown out of work.

yes thats how quick it can be...our rachel worked at firkins..the administrators came in and closed the shop on the same day...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor