Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: BIRMINGHAM PUBS as is and was

#91 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:00 pm

June

The Cheswick Green is on the junction of Dickens Heath Rd and Tanworth Lane. The village of Cheswick Green is a fair walk further down Tanworth Lane. But the pub formerly known as the Three Maypoles and the Pickwick is in an area that was once known as The Three Maypoles, hence the name of the pub. Have a look at the photo a couple of posts back.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#92 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:04 pm

Zitat von signman
The Black Horse on the Bristol Rd., is being converted to a hostel for refugees.
The Rose and Crown in Rubery is up for sale.

John

The Black horse is a pub that I don't think will be missed, I don't think I ever saw a crowd in there. Perhaps I used to use it at thw wrong time. I hope the Rose & Crown doesn't go the same way.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#93 by Sheldonboy , Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:07 pm

The Brittannia on the Warwick road is a Travellers site at present.

Please spread the word about Brummies Talking
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#94 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:10 pm

SB

Yes I have heard that

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#95 by toady , Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:59 pm

Phil

Sorry you are wrong the Cheswick Grenn Inn is in Cheswick Green it is not the old Three Maypoles if you go along I think it is Tanworth Lane you come to Creynolds Lane which is Cheswick Green go to the top of Creynolds Lane and you come back to the Plough on Stratford Road

June

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#96 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:42 pm

Hi June

Go to Google Maps and type in this post code B90 4EA in the search box. If you plonk the little yellow man down by the marker on the map you will be met with a sight that will be much like this photo. This is what the Solihull Chapter of CAMRA says about the pub.

THREE MAYPOLES Shirley
Built in 1938 on the site of large house known as the Cider Mill, which was demolished in 1935. Later renamed the PICKWICK, and then the CHESWICK GREEN INN in 1996.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#97 by toady , Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:51 am

Phil

You are correct I am wrong we have always called the "Cheswick" the one at Cheswick Green which in fact is The Saxon the Pickwick that was is now Miller and Carter

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#98 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:34 pm

June

You wasn't wrong, you merely got your locations mixed. We all do it, don't worry about it.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#99 by Sheldonboy , Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:20 am

Does anyone remember this old couple, Jack and Ellen Whitacre. They worked for us at The Chestnut Tree in the seventies, But they kept The Gate at Saltley for many years.

Please spread the word about Brummies Talking

Attached pictures:

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#100 by Voltman , Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:30 am

I remember them. I worked mornings with Ellen the first time I went full time at the Nuts, she had a lot to teach.
Jack worked the outdoor at weekends, he always had a pint of Guiness under the counter which during some devised diversion would go missing many times during the night.
Nice people.
VM

"Nothing is more dangerous than an idea when it is the only one you have." Emile-Auguste Chartier
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#101 by toady , Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:14 pm

Rose & Crown at Portway opened again I was told food not very good but looking at car park as I drive past they look to be doing well

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#102 by Sheldonboy , Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:03 pm

Nice to know Your Rose and Crown is open again June, But where is Portway.

Brummies Talking....... Get the Buzz

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#103 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:23 pm

June

All these pubs that undergo a refit, do well at first. Thought it seems hard for them to keep it up. What with it being a country road house they have got to have good food as it has little else going for it.

I noticed the other day that the Gospel Oak in Gospel Lane Acocks Green is undergoing another refit. I can't understand it. It had a major refit less than 12 months before it closed down. When they closed it was left to the mercy of all the vandals and thieves in the neighbourhood to do what they liked. Now they are spending a fortune refitting it.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#104 by toady , Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:22 pm

Hi Sheldonboy Portway is on the A435 Alcester Road just past M42 jct3 I was told they are serving food on wooden boards, rather than plates it doesn't sound very hygenic to me.

Phil the Gospel Oak should have been pulled down years ago, there was always trouble there, I thought when it was closed the last time they would probalby build houses. Is the Moonraker still open?

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#105 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:48 pm

June

The Moonraker has long gone, it was the worst out of the two. The Gospel Oak wasn't that bad (only occasionally) and I can remember it being a good pub. I can remember being taken there to the beer garden when I was a kid.

I have a photo of the horrible flats that were erected in place of the Mooraker. I took them a couple of years ago for somebody who asked me.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Good News For A Pint Or Two

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor