Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: BIRMINGHAM PUBS as is and was

#46 by toady , Wed May 05, 2010 1:23 pm

Hi Phil
The guy I am talking about who had the Avenues before that the Talbot before that cam't remember the name it was Camp Hill somewhere may have been Mile Street

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#47 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 05, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi June

The only pub I can recall on Miles St was the Plume of Feathers was that it?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#48 by toady , Wed May 05, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi Phil
You got it in one, when I worked in Bartholomew Row the local was the Fox and Grapes the woman that kept it was Contracter do you know it?

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#49 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 05, 2010 2:23 pm

Hi June

You saying Bartholomew Row threw me a little bit, I thought you were talking about the Jewellery Quarter. But Obviously you meant New Bartholomew St (where did you work). I do know the pub you mentioned. I may have used it once, there were quite a few others round there.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#50 by toady , Wed May 05, 2010 2:47 pm

Hi Phil
No I did mean Bartholomew Row it didn't lead anywhere there was I think an Italian restaurant on the corner it was used in the series Boon if you remember that there was also ? Lighting Emporium and in the middle of these two was J S Wright as far as I know it is still there and that is where I worked, it belonged to a plc group it was sold to a management buyin.
Thanks for the photo brings back happy memories.
June

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#51 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed May 05, 2010 3:43 pm

Hi June

I worked at the lighting emporium before it was that when it was Bartholomew Brothers I think the finished article they produced was badges. That was a while back in 1962 or three I worked there through the winter as per usual.

I think all that corner, which used to be The Italian Quarter back in the early 1900's was recently demolished.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#52 by toady , Wed May 05, 2010 4:08 pm

Hi Phil
I haven't been backed since the buyout in about 1985, from there I went to work in Leamington Spa it was a lovely ride down the lanes through Earlswood, Hockley Heath Lapworth, Hatton, Warwick, I then started going to the Watermans the top of Hatton Hill.

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#53 by Voltman , Wed May 05, 2010 7:08 pm

Signman, sorry I missed your question re The Giddyup.

I never worked there. I had some good times there when visiting Johnny Osgood.
I remember one son and his daughter, that was 1977 to around 1985.
VM

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#54 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu May 06, 2010 6:26 am

VM. that's the trouble when you're older than everyone else, no one knows what you are talking about ha ha.
The gaffer there at the time I was there was Johnny Jones and wife Elsie.

signman

#55 by Voltman , Sun May 09, 2010 12:44 pm

So what does anyone know about the Woodman PH which is on the corner of New Canal Street and Albert Street, opposite the site of the building pictured in the current Where am I Now, sorry that's "Where is This".
VM

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#56 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun May 09, 2010 1:26 pm

VM

Sorry but I know very little about the Woodman, as I have not been down that way for years. I understand that it closed for a while a couple of years back but It opened back up again.

As it is another little gem of Victorian Architecture I wouldn't think it will be long before it is down and gone. The Birmingham Planning office would love it if the earth opened up and swallowed it along with its neighbour on the other corner of the road.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil
Last edited Sun May 09, 2010 1:26 pm | Top

#57 by toady , Sun May 09, 2010 3:24 pm

Am I right in thinking the Woodman was the one that had tiles on the walls inside? one of the directors where I worked used it every lunch time.

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#58 by mikejee , Sun May 09, 2010 3:48 pm

The present building 1930. This replaced an earlier building which was pre 1819 (as that was when it was connected to a murder)

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#59 by toady , Sun May 09, 2010 3:55 pm

Tell me more

toady  
toady

Founder Member

#60 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun May 09, 2010 3:57 pm

June,

Given where you worked, Yes I would say it was this Woodman. It is typical of many Birmingham built Victorian pubs and would have had many original Victorian fittings remaining. There was a move by Birmingham Planners to have it flattened in the mid 2000's but as it is still standing they must have failed.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Good News For A Pint Or Two

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor