Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: BIRMINGHAM PUBS as is and was

#31 by Sheldonboy , Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:57 am

I know Weatherspoos are a pain, but at least they have put the odd pub where there never was one. they are more like licensed restaurants anyway.

Please spread the word about Brummies Talking

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#32 by Voltman , Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:51 am

SB,
Harking back a few posts, I think the mad woman you refer to was Maggie Laird, wife of Pat, they ran the Cabin but she may have had done a bit of relief work, was was easily two men. Sometimes they came in the Nuts together, not the two men, Margaret and Pat.
She was a nice enough woman if she got her own way and you didn't move or speak in her presence. She used to come and put Greenie in his place.
Pat, who you will remember, was a really nice bloke, he used to wear spectacles with no glass in case he got into a fight. Once he smuggled Pochin in from ireland, in orangeade bottles.
Before the Cabin they had a pub in Sparkhill on the Stratford Road, I think it was Antelope. One of Pat's stories was about a fire they had there one night and had to escape through an upstairs window.

I forgot to mention the Stirrup Cup it was another of my bolt holes. John had the best Brew XI ever, it was proper barrel beer, he showed me how to tap and vent a barrel.
We had a CB club at his place for a couple of years. He had a bad car accident in later years and took a while to recover.
VM

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 04.05.2010 | Top

#33 by Sheldonboy , Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:14 am

Hi VM
Pat and Maggie I knew veryy well. Maggie always wanted to take me home with her. Pat offered to pay me if I went.
This lady kept the Beeches where Signman had workedm She scared the IRA. You mentioned cask Brew at the Giddyup, that's what we had at the nuts when you first drank there, it was only later that we had it in tanks.SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#34 by Sheldonboy , Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:37 am

Skuse the typo's on the last post am on handset.
Meant to ask do you remember Gerry frtom the Britt, I know where he is to be found on a Tuesday afternoon if you are intested VMr

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#35 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:20 pm

SB

Some of the pubs you mentioned, by this time they had all seen better days.

The Vine boarded up pre demolition.
The White Lion just before it's conversion to a curry house.
The Gunmakers in its last days.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#36 by Sheldonboy , Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:47 pm

The vine hasn't been demolished Phil it's now a Carpet/ furniture warehouse. The White Lion has just been sold at auction for what we wait and see. But no decent pu is going to do any good round there The Gunmakers is still there but in a sorry state.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#37 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:19 pm

SB

The way you spoke in your post I thought they had gone. I haven't been down that way for about five years. The last time I did the Vine was boarded up like it is in the photo, so I would have thought it gone by now. The White Horse was a curry House and I'm sure the Gunmakers was boarded up. Perhaps they had just had a hectic Saturday Night.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#38 by Sheldonboy , Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:30 pm

All three still standing' the gunners is pretty much derelict. The Avenue as I said before is now signed fort a Muslim foundation.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#39 by Voltman , Mon May 03, 2010 8:57 am

Yes, SB, I remember "Bloody Mary" Gerry.

Just to list Gordon's mates that I can Recall...

Don - Arden Oak
Pat - Cabin
Len - White Hart
Gerry - Brittania
??? - Raven

VM

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#40 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon May 03, 2010 9:36 am

When did you work at the Stirrup Cup Voltman ?.
I was there in about 1968 ish the only two staff I remember were Wally and Albert.
John's sons would have been about 8-10 years old.

signman

#41 by Sheldonboy , Mon May 03, 2010 11:33 am

Phil the Gunmakers is still boarded up, but has new windows upstairs. The White Lion Muntz Street was a curry house now closed down and has just been sold. The Avenue is no longer a pub neither is the Lion and Lamb.

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#42 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon May 03, 2010 11:57 am

SB

You see, when I stopped drinking they all went out of business.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#43 by toady , Tue May 04, 2010 8:35 pm

Are you talking the Avenues can't remember the name of the road, you went on the number 8 bus to the top of Muntz Street then turned right and it was along there on the left my friends mom and dad had that in about early sixties their surname was Hobday.

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#44 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue May 04, 2010 9:06 pm

Hi June

Thats the one, nice old big pub, one of the trainee gaffers at from the Talbot had it in the early 70's. I think their name was Crump or something like that.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#45 by Sheldonboy , Tue May 04, 2010 9:22 pm

As I remember in the early sixties the Avenue had a disco called Hells Kitchen.

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Good News For A Pint Or Two

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor