Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: BIRMINGHAM PUBS as is and was

#211 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:41 pm

Volty

As you say I think they extended the brewery in the 60's or 70's. This may have been the cause of the closure overextending themselves (forgive the pun).

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#212 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:08 pm

Its amazing how you don't know what you have got until you come to look for it. I didn't know that I had this photo of the Kings Highway. Also the information that in 2001 it was purchased by Arena Pubs and renovated inside and out to a high standard. Here we are ten years later and its gone from the face of the earth. Not a good buy then!

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#213 by Voltman , Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:24 pm

That would have made a good "Where is this" pub.

My time is money, I can lend you 10 minutes for lunch.

http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#214 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:50 pm

I passed by the Malt Shovel on Brighton Rd Balsall Heath on Sunday. I noticed it was being converted into another curry house.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil

#215 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:08 am

Long time since I've been in there.

signman

#216 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:14 am

Well John, I don't think you will be going in there again unless it's for a curry.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#217 by astoness , Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:43 am

crown and cushion perry barr 1959

Attached pictures:

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#218 by Voltman , Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:33 pm

On the 22nd Nov., 1780, Wilfrid Barwick, a butcher, was robbed and murdered near the four mile stone on the Coleshill Road. The culprits were two soldiers, named John Hammond (an American by birth) and Thomas Pitmore (a native of Cheshire) but well known as "Jack and Tom," drummer and fifer in the recruiting service here. They were brought before the magistrates at the old Public Office in Dale End; committed; and in due course tried and sentenced at Warwick to be hanged and gibbeted on Washwood Heath, near the scene of the murder. The sentence was carried out April 2, 1781, the bodies hanging on the gibbet in chains a short time, until they were surreptitiously removed by some humanitarian friends who did not approve of the exhibition. What became of the bodies was not known until the morning of Thursday, Jan. 20, 1842, when the navvies employed on the Birmingham and Derby (now Midland) railway came upon the two skeletons still environed in chains when they were removing a quantity of earth for the embankment. The skeletons were afterwards reinterred under an apple-tree in the garden of the Adderley Arms, Saltley, and the gibbet-irons were taken as rarities to the Aston Tavern, where, possibly, inquisitive relic-mongers may now see them.

You and I should use an endless stream of vowels and consonants to form the words we will use to effectively assemble a forceful tirade of well constructed sentences which will aid and assist us in our tireless struggle to virtually eliminate verbosity

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#219 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:10 pm

Volty

An interesting tale that I had read before, any idea why the Adderley Arms on Saltley High Street was chosen for the re-internment? I would also add that you would no longer be able to view the chains at the Aston Tavern as that now is also defunct as is the Adderley Arms.

Phil

Attached pictures:
phil

#220 by mikejee , Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:48 pm

Inquests were often held at pubs. Usually it was a particular pub for a certain area. Certainly a lot of inquests were held at the Adderley Arms pub.Possibly it they were then dubious as to burying them in consecrated ground, and this was the nearest place to the inquest. Only a guess

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#221 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:32 am

Hi Mike

Yes I realise that pubs were used for a lot of inquests around those times. Also I have read previously that executed murderers were always buried in unconsecrated ground. Lots of our prisons had unmarked graveyards for just that purpose. I wonder if they are still there? or in our more enlightened times have those that were buried there been dug up and re-interned?

Phil

phil

#222 by mikejee , Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:38 pm

In most cases probably not Phil, though I think Sir Roger Casement was repatriated to Ireland. In most cases no-one probably knows where they are, so couldn't do it anyway

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#223 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:23 pm

Mike

I would have thought that prisons would have had to keep some sort of a record where the bodies of those that were executed were laid. If only for reference in future building plans.

Phil

phil

#224 by mikejee , Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:32 pm

I seemed to remember reading somewhere,in prisons the bodies of executed prisoners were buried in unmarked graves and noone usually knew who was who. However i think this was wrong after reading http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/hanging1.html#after . In passing,while looking for more info i came across http://www.manchester-family-history-res...new_page_26.htm , where it seems to imply that possibly while roy jenkins was home secretary he authorised the return to relatives of the body of murderer Herbert Roy Harris, inspite of the fact that he had not been pardoned, and that Herbert Roy Harris might have been his uncle . Apparently records of this seem to have disappeared, which always stirs up suspicions. Mind you if you start just assuming people of the same name were the same then you would think that I had claimed that i had been been kidnapped twice by aliens and transported onto a flying saucer!!

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#225 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:26 pm

Mike

Only twice I've been out of this world many times, but it usually came after a visit to a licenced establishment.

Phil

phil
Last edited Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:27 pm | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Good News For A Pint Or Two

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor