Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

My Pub Table

#1 by astoness , Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:55 pm

Didn't quite know where to put this folks but as the table is made in Brum I thought this would be a good spot..

This table was very kindly given to me by the landlady of the Bull pub Loveday Street..absolutely delighted to have it..made by James Yates of Birmingham. I would appreciate any help on researching this maker as I don't even know how old it is. Here are a few pics of how it is now. Tomorrow I will start restoring it, at the moment it is sitting in my living room to dry out.

lyn

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 03.07.2013 | Top

RE: MY PUB TABLE

#2 by astoness , Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:56 pm

pic 2

Attached pictures:

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#3 by astoness , Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:56 pm

pic 3

Attached pictures:

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#4 by astoness , Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:59 pm

pic 4

Attached pictures:

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#5 by mollymandysb , Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:02 pm

how lovely lynn to have such a table, not going to be able to help with any information, just saying how lovely to have such a birmingham made table.

steph

mollymandysb  
mollymandysb
Date registered 08.11.2011

Last edited 01.02.2012 | Top

#6 by astoness , Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:06 pm

steph im delighted with it...i will post more pics of it after i have done it up...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#7 by Deleted User , Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:31 pm

Lovely Lyn............

#8 by astoness , Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:37 pm

thanks den..ive been sent some info now..

james yates pub furnishers was in colshill st just round from dale end..
they were taken over by gaskill and chambers before 1903 so my table is old enough for me..[Skipping Happy]

will try date it more precise if i can...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#9 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:55 pm

Lyn

I think you are on the right trail, the Yates family were long known for their work in the pewter & Britannia metal trade not so much the cast iron trade. Perhaps it was something that they went in to when the bottom fell out of the pewter trade. As Gaskill & Chambers were a well known Birmingham pub finishing and furnishing trade I can understand them taking over a pub table making company but not a firm of pewters, not in 1903 when stone & crock and glass mugs were coming in to fashion.

Phil

phil

#10 by astoness , Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:08 pm

hi phils its now thought the date could be between 1840 and 1903.and the design is typical victorian...obviously i cant see the table top being original as surely it wouldnt take all those years of pint pots banging down on it but non the less its good enough for me..[Big Smile]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#11 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:12 pm

Lyn

The thing is all the tables in a certain line would be made from the original moulds. When you bought a company out this is what you would be buying. Its tools, machinery, moulds, dies, stamps etc. Some of these things would have been handed down from generation to generation.

Phil

phil

#12 by lynne webb , Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:15 pm

I wonder if your table spent all its life in the Bull Lyn, if so my grandad could have been under it many times...

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#13 by astoness , Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:21 pm

Posted by phil
Lyn

The thing is all the tables in a certain line would be made from the original moulds. When you bought a company out this is what you would be buying. Its tools, machinery, moulds, dies, stamps etc. Some of these things would have been handed down from generation to generation.

Phil

phil if you bought a company out you wouldnt have their name still stamped on the product would you...i know there are a few gaskill and chambers tables knocking about...and they paint them in all sorts of colours..[Hammers]

oh lynne that made me laff...and dont forget my gt gt grandad was living in loveday st at one time..if the table has spent it life in the bull i bet he was under it as well...what a nice thought..[Little LOL]

will try and get some info off rose next time im in the bull..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#14 by astoness , Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:16 pm

hi folks if you go to my pic 1 you will see a line of little goldy coloured bobbles..these run down the inside and outside of both legs..at the min ive painted them black but i was wondering if it would nice if i repainted those back in the gold colour to set off the table...i have already bought a little pot of gold but what do you think...if i do decide to go for it it will be a very delicate operation...also the little bobbles are each side of the middle support bar...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 01.06.2012 | Top

#15 by Sheldonboy , Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:31 pm

lLyn Gold sounds good. But you should see your Doctor about the Bobbles running down the inside of your legs

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have spent most of life trying to save.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor