Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Ordnance Survey

#1 by Sheldonboy , Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:35 am

Todays news should interest one or two of our members.
See BBC NEWS TODAY UK
Ordnance Survey maps to go online. Free and unrestricted access to most of it's map data
Old news but updated today.
data.gov.uk
os openspace

Please spread the word about Brummies Talking

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 03.08.2013 | Top

RE: ORDNANCE SURVEY

#2 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:49 am

That's good news SB.
Whenever I go to my daughters in Overbury, I go to a bookshop in Tewkesbury, it's like an Alladins cave, and my daughter usually says what time will you be home foe dinner when she knows I'm going there.
Lots of old ordnance maps at about £3 each, I bought a 1916 and a 1943 map of Birmingham, and they have the Alan Godfey maps, but some of these at £3 are dearer than Godfrey sell them for.
Last time I was in there I asked the guy if he had any Kellys, his reply "I'll give you a £100 for every one you bring me, and £120 if they still have the map".
If you ever go to Tewkesbury, it's the old tudor building half way down the High Street on the left going towards the Cathedral, it's a warren of small rooms.

signman
Last edited Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:50 am | Top

#3 by Voltman , Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:41 pm

I don't think this has turned out to be what we were expecting.
OS Openspace is all talk and no product unless you want data for business purposes.

The free maps at Ordnance Survey are up to date and no better than can be found in the latest AA Road Atlas at Amazon. If anyone can find any historical maps please post the links.

http://www.gutenberg.org/
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 03.07.2013 | Top

#4 by mikejee , Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:49 pm

I'm pretty sure the ordnance survey gave up the rights to the old maps to a few years ago, as they were not interested = did not fit in their business plan. At the same time they stated that any reproduction for private and study purposes of the old maps was permitted . I would have thought that being over 199 years old that would have applied anyway , though at least one commercial census co. still seems to claim that census pages should not be reproduced as they own the copyright from the crown, so maybe the crown claims some extra powers on occasion.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

Last edited 03.07.2013 | Top

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Mace Media Archive

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor