Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: BACK TO BACKS

#31 by Sheldonboy , Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:42 pm

Lyn I grew up in the fifties and sixties, with the music, the black and white Telly's. The 45's the Dansette record player, Alan Freeman, Tony Blackburn Radio Luxenberg The Batchelors, Sandie Shaw, Frank Sinatra, Roy Rogers, Wells Fargo, Skippy, Woolworths, The Rag and Bone man, The door to door Baker with his great big basket selling tin loaves and the odd doughnuts.
How many of these things now gone are indelibly tattooed on our memories. But without most of these things we wouldn't have much of what we have now. My god they were good happy safe days. I have a good life but the sixties will be there forever in me. SB

Please spread the word about Brummies Talking
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#32 by Deleted User , Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:35 pm

Yep they were our times SB

#33 by astoness , Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:43 pm

totally agree...unlike a stones song...the 60s will never fade away...hi denise..hows the ankle today....for you sb a rag and bone man..clifford st lozells in the 60s...

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#34 by Sheldonboy , Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:11 am

Just how I remember them. How many Gold fish did they give away over the years, must have been millions.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#35 by astoness , Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:39 pm

typical courtyard of the back to back houses...this one is in summer lane...bostin pic is this....

lyn

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#36 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:41 pm

Brilliant photo Lyn, and look at all the bedrooms getting an airing.

signman

#37 by astoness , Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:48 pm

they prob need it john what with how many were sharing one bedroom....i know its a posed for pic but there are quite a few smiling faces there even though times were hard.....one of my favourites...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#38 by Deleted User , Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:58 pm

The ankle is much better today Lyn thanks.

That pic is wonderful.

#39 by astoness , Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:04 pm

glad its getting better denise...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#40 by Sheldonboy , Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:13 pm

Glad to hear your ankle is better Denise, I suggest you carry a crepe bandage for a while, if you are out and about you may just need a bit of help. It may well be weak for a while. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#41 by Voltman , Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:32 am

Imagine getting all your neighbours together for a photo today.
There seems to be an awful (and I mean awful) lot of kids in that photo.
Does anyone know what year this was?

"Nothing is more dangerous than an idea when it is the only one you have." Emile-Auguste Chartier
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#42 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:10 am

VM, Could be anywhere between 1920 -1945.

signman

#43 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:52 am

I would imagine in those days if anyone pulled a camera out, the kids would just appear. Photography wasn't so affordable in those days. When I started my first job at Munns Photofinishers in Hockley in 1966 we were still mainly black and white then. We were developing and printing up to 10,000 B&W films per week at that time.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#44 by astoness , Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:58 pm

you are right there SB....at first i thought i had not got that many family photos from way back but thinking about it we have quite a few considering some folk have none at all....

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#45 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Lyn,

I'm glad you enjoyed your day out viewing the back to backs. I have to say that its something I'll never do. I used to be have full family membership of the National Trust for many years and always thought it was value for money.

But I watched for years the prices going up and read many reports of poor management of various properties. I decided to lapse my membership.

My main objections to the back to backs is not just that they are just another money making enterprise but they are misinforming our children of the way we used to live. Children see these lovely little bijou residences and think that their grandparents lived in luxury as opposed to the squalor that they talk about. They have not even tried to show the filth and dirt that people were forced to live in.

I'm sorry but I really do have a bee in my bonnet about this, especially when you get people like Chris Upton & Carl Chinn eulogising about them. I doubt they have ever been through the front door of a back to back when it was occupied.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor