Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Topography

#31 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu May 13, 2010 11:14 am

Mike

My problem with this theory even though I put it forward is that I'm not sure that Adderley St gas works was even still in operation in the early 70's.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#32 by toady , Thu May 13, 2010 5:09 pm

Sorry Phil can't ask my uncle he is in Robin Hood Cemetary,

I think it is somewhere off Dartmouth Middleway.

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#33 by Voltman , Thu May 13, 2010 7:46 pm

Mike,
I wasn't suggesting, in my clumsy way, that it would actually be in Manchester, as you would know that, but it is a way of identifying that gasometer as it seems to me to be made to an unusual pattern.

The gasometer in question is pretty much deflated so it could have been decommissioned before the photo was taken.
VM

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 05.13.2010 | Top

#34 by Sheldonboy , Thu May 13, 2010 9:22 pm

Toady, Robin Hood Cemetary isn't off Dartmouth Middleway.

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#35 by toady , Fri May 14, 2010 1:33 pm

No but the gasometer might be!

I don't know the names of the roads around there.

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#36 by mikejee , Fri May 14, 2010 2:42 pm

VM
I realised that you didn't mean it was in Manchester, but wanted to make sure noone wasted their time thinking of any around there.If you had said Stoke, then i might have had to have a good think (as if that would do any good!) , as i have taken pictures there, though none on that particular film
mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#37 by Voltman , Sat May 15, 2010 1:57 am

Good point Mikejee, I forget sometimes that others might dive in based purely on my verbal wanderings, and I do a lot of that.
Both wandering and diving in.
VM

"Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." Sir Walter Scott

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#38 by Voltman , Sun May 30, 2010 10:57 am

I was google waliking this morninmg and came across this cobblestone street.
It looks like it has never been tarmaced.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=U...2,31.79,,0,6.36

And another.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=U...=0,0.00257&z=20

VM

"Nothing is more dangerous than an idea when it is the only one you have." Emile-Auguste Chartier

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 05.30.2010 | Top

#39 by mikejee , Sun May 30, 2010 12:15 pm

For some reason voltman, clicking on the link gives me a google maps page with just a thin picture at the top of the display which doesn't show much. might be my system. Has anyone else got the same problem?

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#40 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun May 30, 2010 12:26 pm

Yes it's still there VM, might be something to do with it being under the railway bridge, and the second photo is far too good to tarmac beautiful cobble work.
Mike had no problem.

signman

#41 by Voltman , Sun May 30, 2010 12:32 pm

Signman, Take a walk under the bridge, it's like a different world on the other side.

Mike, perhaps a reboot would help, or at least close down your browser and then reopen it.
I often have glitches with google maps and that's the only way I can can clear them.
VM

"Nothing is more dangerous than an idea when it is the only one you have." Emile-Auguste Chartier

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#42 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun May 30, 2010 12:46 pm

VM that's a definate must for the camera when I'm up there. although I don't do veggie food, looks like a little community has set up shop there.
I used the Bordesley Street cafe way back in the 70's, surprised it's still there albeit under different ownership I would imagine.

signman

#43 by Voltman , Sun May 30, 2010 5:04 pm

Considering the cafe's neighbour it probably isn't a greasy spoon joint.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#44 by Sheldonboy , Sun May 30, 2010 7:21 pm

A great deal of that part of Brum is up for redevelopement. Known as the East Side, The Old Birds Custard factory is a great example. There is talk of raising The River Rea to Street level. Most towns with a river use it as an attraction and develop the Riverside area, as Brum has already done with the broad street canal area. There is a new park to be made in that area too around the site of The Old Birmingham Railway Station building. SB

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#45 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon May 31, 2010 10:23 am

I cant see that raising the level of the Rea is a good idea. Not unless they put some pretty good flood prevention schemes into operation. If the want to raise the level around the city then they are going to have to go right back to Cannon Hill Park.

Thats a big undertaking, especially when you have got to prevent flooding along its whole length. I'm still young enough to remember the flooding caused along this stretch of river especially in Digbeth and thats even after it was culverted.

After saying that, it's something that I would like to see.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Brummagem Sayings

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor