Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Rural Birmingham

#1 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:21 pm

It has been suggested that we start a thread on how quickly parts of Birmingham have gone from being rural villages to urban centres in less than a century. As I have an extensive collection of old photos I have been having a look through them and I have come up with these views of the Quinton area to start with. With each photo I am posting a photo of the same area today so you will be able to locate them.

1 & 2 Are of the Hawthornes or what we now know as Hagley Rd West about a hundred years apart

3 & 4 Are the junction of Quinton Lane and Hagley Rd West where the Holly Bush now stands 70 years apart

5 & 6 Are Stoney Lane a little further op Hagley Rd West between 70 and 100 years ago.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

RE: Rural Birmingham

#2 by Voltman , Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:39 pm

Very nice Phil, I love "before and now" comparisons.
I bought a book once that showed early shots alongside shots from the 70s, I have always intended to go and take the same shots myself but still haven't. Some would now be impossible.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#3 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:25 pm

Nice one Phil, if you wish I can put them together for you like this, makes it easier to compare instead of

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
signman

#4 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:52 pm

John

Thanks for the offer, but I can do more or less the same myself. The thing is it will make them look like the Then & Now photos that I do. In future I shall probably only do one location at a time so it will look tidier.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Postcard-Birmingham Postmark.

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor