Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Postcard-Birmingham Postmark.

#1 by Stirling Single , Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:59 pm

Does anyone recognize the church on this Postcard or know if the picture is Birmingham. Please,any ideas.
Lynn.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

RE: Postcard-Birmingham Postmark.

#2 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:05 pm

Lynn a better view of the church might help. if I were pushed for an answer I would suggest St Barnabus Erdington. SB might be able to confirm that or not as he spent half his young life just across the road in a den of iniquity called "Mothers".

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#3 by Voltman , Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:26 pm

I think it has an air of Handsworth about it but I haven't checked out the church yet.

My time is money, I can lend you 10 minutes for lunch.

http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#4 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:57 pm

Lynn

I have looked through the photos of Birmingham churches I have on file, I have well in excess of 100 and I have been unable to match it up with anything I have. The steeple I can match with several and the curve in the road I can also match. I thought it could be St Giles in Sheldon but the steeple has no pinnacles then I found this early drawing from 1865 when the steeple did have pinnacles, but I don't think the body of the church matches. I'll keep looking.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil

#5 by Deleted User , Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:50 pm

I can not think of any other old church in Sheldon other than St Giles.

#6 by Sheldonboy , Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:14 pm

The problem I have with this picture. If it is St. Giles Sheldon the ground slopes up on the right hand side. where St Giles Ground slopes down from the front to the back. The small road on the right hand side which now goes down from the RAFA building past the Vicarage where the Reverend Thomas Bray lived (ie Brays Road). That slopes down to where the farm is. It is of course possible that some landscaping work had been done I'm not sure.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#7 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:28 pm

SB

As I said it was only a suggestion, I don't think Lynn is even 100% sure it is a Birmingham pub. I was only trying to demonstrate how things even churches can change over the years. The church in Lynn's photo could be gone now or changed that much we wouldn't recognise it. As I say I will keep looking, I like a good mystery.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#8 by Sheldonboy , Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:42 am

Posted by phil
SB

As I said it was only a suggestion, I don't think Lynn is even 100% sure it is a Birmingham pub. I was only trying to demonstrate how things even churches can change over the years. The church in Lynn's photo could be gone now or changed that much we wouldn't recognise it. As I say I will keep looking, I like a good mystery.

Phil

I am sure it's not a pub though Phil.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#9 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:19 am

The children are too well dressed for Brummie brats.

signman
Last edited Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:19 am | Top

#10 by Stirling Single , Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:25 am

Have just thought it might be helpful to put the back of postcard on as well as it might help to date it.
I haven't ever gone into the History of postcards and their designs, origions etc. Looks like - Post/Rotary/Card - at the top of this one.
Am just looking at a short History of Postcards and it says - The printing quality of Edwardian postcards varied considerably. Several companies {including Rotary, Philco and Davidson} produced high quality real photos but without looking furthur I don't see where Rotary were based.
The postmark is from Birmingham and it's addressed to Selly Park, Birmingham.
It's obviously 1900's but I should think an early version as later cards had the producers name down the left hand side.
Lynn.

Attached pictures:
Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#11 by Stirling Single , Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:30 am

Good thinking John, Yes, the children are very well dressed, but could be well out on the outskirts of Birmingham in the 1900's
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#12 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:52 am

That looks like May 26th 1922 or 27. Does the postmark Birmingham confirm that it was posted in Birmingham or just delivered to Birmingham?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#13 by Stirling Single , Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:36 am

Phil,
Yes, I can see what you mean about the date now that you have pointed it out.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#14 by mikejee , Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:04 am

Peculiar that there is no message. This, i would guess, might mean that it was sent to herself from somewhere she was visiting. so it liely wasn't in Brum

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#15 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:52 am

Thats the thing I have never bothered to look at envelope when mail is delivered, I'm not sure if it is franked at the local office where it is sent from or the one it is delivered from. Does anybody know?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Campaign to Bring Back King Kong

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor