http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 07.06.2011 | Top

RE: The public sector and strike action

#2 by handlebar , Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:39 pm

I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't read it with my own eyes. Re-hire a staff you've totally demoralised? A staff that's angry and has lost motivation. A staff who resents it's leaders? Are they mad? I wouldn't want to wipe my feet on folk who think this is acceptable. No words exist to express my views of bosses like this.

handlebar  
handlebar
Date registered 06.01.2011

#3 by Sheldonboy , Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:54 pm

Posted by handlebar
I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't read it with my own eyes. Re-hire a staff you've totally demoralised? A staff that's angry and has lost motivation. A staff who resents it's leaders? Are they mad? I wouldn't want to wipe my feet on folk who think this is acceptable. No words exist to express my views of bosses like this.

Handlebar this is the kind off Gutter world we are slipping into.
Honour, Morals, Decency just doesn't work any more. Not in this country. even binding contracts are only fit for hanging in the toilet.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#4 by Voltman , Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:41 am

So striking would make a difference then? How exactly?

Hey you I'm going to have to dismiss you because I can't afford to pay you.
Well I'm going to strike then.
Oh good, now I won't have to pay you at all. Tataa,

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 07.08.2011 | Top

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:07 am

Volty

If the strikers can show solidarity and they all come out on strike (every single one) it will show solidarity. They then say to the Council sack us and not one employee will return unless it is as if we were never sacked in the first place.

Yes there are millions of people waiting to fill their jobs, but how will the Council operate will all untrained labour. It would be chaos.

That is what striking is about, its not always about withdrawing labour, sometimes it can be a show of solidarity.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil
Last edited Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:09 pm | Top

#6 by Voltman , Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:38 pm

So much for solidarity if you have to force people to strike. And then what? 400 will get the push because of lack of funds.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#7 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:18 pm

Volty

If an action like this is taken I don't think the workforce will need much forcing. Isn't that what they are holding a ballot for? I would be interested to know, if they accept this dismissal and reinstatement what other accrued benefits are they liable to loose.

As for the threat to sack those that refuse this cretinous scheme without compensation then if they were to carry out this threat and make someone redundant which is in effect what they are doing then they would be breaking the employment law that says they are entitled to redundancy payments.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#8 by handlebar , Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:05 pm

I'm beginning to wonder if our expectancy is exceeding our ability to afford. With a declining tax paying sector due to increasing o.a.p's, folk on benefits due to health problems and the numbers of folk unable to get a job, I do just wonder how much longer we can afford all we've taken for granted over the years. We expect a Health service coping with every requirement. We expect Libraries, Swimming baths, street lights, homes for the elderly financed (for many) by the state. Are we seeing the start of a time when the majority will be left behind by falling wages and increasing prices while a very few can still command high prices for what they do? Then, striking will simply be a statement that may result in accomplishments but in the form of ever diminishing returns as the bulk of the workers fall further behind. I'm only wondering. Don't ask me what the alternative to this is as I just don't know. If change is to come it must be demanded by everyone not by small patchy action by folk doing their thing.

handlebar  
handlebar

#9 by Sheldonboy , Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:17 pm

Posted by handlebar
I'm beginning to wonder if our expectancy is exceeding our ability to afford. With a declining tax paying sector due to increasing o.a.p's, folk on benefits due to health problems and the numbers of folk unable to get a job, I do just wonder how much longer we can afford all we've taken for granted over the years. We expect a Health service coping with every requirement. We expect Libraries, Swimming baths, street lights, homes for the elderly financed (for many) by the state. Are we seeing the start of a time when the majority will be left behind by falling wages and increasing prices while a very few can still command high prices for what they do? Then, striking will simply be a statement that may result in accomplishments but in the form of ever diminishing returns as the bulk of the workers fall further behind. I'm only wondering. Don't ask me what the alternative to this is as I just don't know. If change is to come it must be demanded by everyone not by small patchy action by folk doing their thing.

I firmly believe that the changes needed to rectify our financial woes would definitely not be accepted by the population of our country whoever was in power.
The actions that have been imposed by our Government are certainly too much too fast.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Last edited 07.09.2011 | Top

#10 by handlebar , Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:27 pm

I fear the results of Cameron and co. have barely begun. If a spirit of hoplessness becomes endenmic it's God help all of us.

handlebar  
handlebar

#11 by Sheldonboy , Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:24 am

Posted by handlebar
I fear the results of Cameron and co. have barely begun. If a spirit of hoplessness becomes endenmic it's God help all of us.

I certainly don't think that the situation is hopeless, but if anyone else has a better way of running this country there has never been a better time to convince people to try it.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#12 by Voltman , Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:47 am

Posted by phil
Volty

As for the threat to sack those that refuse this cretinous scheme without compensation then if they were to carry out this threat and make someone redundant which is in effect what they are doing then they would be breaking the employment law that says they are entitled to redundancy payments.

Phil

Phil,
I never read anywhere that they wouldn't be able to pay redundancy money, I expect the proposed 400 redundancies would include a few to finance the expense of it.
At least the councils way would keep them all in a job, although why they would have to leave in order to come back is a bit of a question. Perhaps their wages couldn't legally be reduced unless they all agreed to it and there is bound to be one militant type who would cock it up for the rest of them. Or perhaps there are a few complete wasters or troublemakers who should be weeded out.
In any event I can't see how the word dismissed gets into it, that implies misconduct doesn't it? So they would presumably all have to be made redundant with the associated benefits and then doesn't the law say something about not being able to employ anyone into a position that was just made redundant?
VM

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#13 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:14 am

Volty

Its all to do with new contracts of employment. I would imagine their contact says that their can be no reduction of the rate of pay, conditions of employment or hours without mutual consent.

I would imagine that the Council employees are refusing to accept a new contract of employment, which is a perfectly legitimate stance.

To circumnavigate this obstacle the Council are threatening to sack each employee who does not sign the new contract without compensation.

Myself I would let them do just that, then sue their dumb asses for unfair dismissal.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#14 by Voltman , Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:09 pm

I'll bet solicitors are already queuing around the block.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#15 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:07 pm

For anyone who is disagreeing with the strike action of the public sector workers. It is worth remembering that the very good working conditions that most of enjoy (including the self employed) were made possible largely by the actions and sacrifices of our former working colleagues, some of whom died in the process. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
News Of The World Closing Down

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor