Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: One of the Two that just say Birmingham Pub Postcard

#16 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:24 am

Like Phil says almost impossible to identify, I would even doubt if it was a pub,that cable must be very robust (lead sheathed ?) to hang in mid air like that,interesting photos though.

signman

#17 by Stirling Single , Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:20 am

Do you think that is an electricity cable that runs across the middle of the first photo and into the house over the top of the porchway and why is it all up and down and not running in a straight line. Strange. Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

#18 by signman ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:49 am

Lynne, that is what I mean, the cable could only be lead sheathed to hang in mid air like that.

signman

#19 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:24 am

Do you think it could be a supply running from the house to an outhous? Most early electric cables were lead sheathed. We pulled miles of the stuff from underneath floorboards in the older type bigger houses that were converted from gas to electricity in the early days of electricity.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#20 by Stirling Single , Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:51 pm

That wire/cable must have been very heavy and it just seems weird that its going up and down like a YoYo and no it's not a crease in the photo.
Shame we don't know where the little cottages were.
Never know, some day we might come across something more. Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#21 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:49 pm

A little bit of research tells me that corrugated sheeting has been in use since the 1840's but lead sheathed electricity cables were only in use after 1896 but they were found to be unsuitable and by 1908 were replaced by a new system of vulcanised-rubber insulated wire enclosed in a strip metal sheath. So I would say the photo of the first pub dates between 1896 and 1908 unless it is actually a vulcanised strip metal sheath. Where are all the electricians when you need them. "Voltman come back all is forgiven, you are needed"

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#22 by astoness , Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:30 am

thanks for posting those pics lynn...it would be great to find out the locations but could prove difficult..mind you if they are both afred juggins i would imagine that they would not have been taken a million miles away from where his shop was...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#23 by Stirling Single , Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:54 am

Yes Lyn, They are both Alfred Juggins. - Good thinking Lyn - At least they should be Birmingham somewere but guess we may never know. Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#24 by Stirling Single , Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:57 am

Phil, Yes it would be good if someone could find another clue as to the date but at least you have narrowed it down to possibly before 1908. Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#25 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:09 am

Lynn

The other thing I meant to say was (and I think Mike will agree with me here) as there is no signage of any sort visible on either pub I would take a guess that they were just local ale houses and all that they sold were ales and ciders that were home brewed.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#26 by mikejee , Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:31 am

Phil
With the proviso that, other than the caption, we cannot be sure either wa s a pub, i would agree with you. That does not mean that they could not be pubs, as I have known several that could easily be taken to be private houses, and lacked any sign on the building, though usually there was a sign at least away from the building, but this would not have been obvious in these cases
Mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#27 by Voltman , Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:36 pm

Posted by phil
lead sheathed electricity cables were only in use after 1896 but they were found to be unsuitable and by 1908 were replaced by a new system of vulcanised-rubber insulated wire enclosed in a strip metal sheath. So I would say the photo of the first pub dates between 1896 and 1908 unless it is actually a vulcanised strip metal sheath. Where are all the electricians when you need them. "Voltman come back all is forgiven, you are needed"

Phil

I have to admit to knowing very little about early cables Phil, though oddly enough I was wondering about them just the other day. What I do know is that in my earlier housebashing days I used to come across both Lead and Rubber outer sheathing on twin cables. Obviously all metal sheathed cables still required an insulator around the inner cores so I assume that was always rubber, most likely with a cotton braid around it until rubber formulations became more reliable. I think the lead cables I came across were in the big houses in Handsworth, the sort that were also fitted with servant call systems. Twins of the all rubber varitey can still be found under floorboards, sometimes still in use but most often left in situ by a lazy rewirer. The dates of their usage are a mystery to me and will require some research.
VM

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#28 by astoness , Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:42 am

Posted by Stirling Single
Yes Lyn, They are both Alfred Juggins. - Good thinking Lyn - At least they should be Birmingham somewere but guess we may never know. Lynn.

hi lynn..think you are right about maybe never finding out the locations but they are cracking pics..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor