Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

60 speeding tickets a day in Brum

#1 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:50 pm

60 motorists a day were handed speeding tickets in Birmingham in a 12 month period. That is nearly 22,000 fines totalling £596,940 for speeding alone.
The Association of British Drivers blasted this as an outrageous scam. I have a few question for the ABD how can catching law breakers be a scam?

If cameras catch a driver without insurance driving on the roads with ANPR is that a scam?

If CCTV catches someone breaking into someone’s property, is that a scam?

If Gatso cameras are simply to make money why are some towns withdrawing them because they can’t afford them?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil
Last edited Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:51 pm | Top

RE: 60 speeding tickets a day in Brum

#2 by Voltman , Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:52 am

Very good points Phil.
Who are the association of british drivers? (lower case to signal desrepect). And why would a person feel the need to join them?

The first people to complain about crime detection are usually the one's with the most to hide.
Anyway, 60 a day for the whole of Birmingham is nothing considering the number of obvious speeding offences I see on a daily basis, it is just an indicator of how many are let off or get away it.
VM

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#3 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:40 am

Yes every day people flash past me while I am doing my steady 30.m.p.h. or 40.m.p.h. or whatever the speed limit is in the area I am driving in. What amazes me is just how many of them are on the phone, using hand held phones. Why is that because hands free phone set ups are so cheap and easy to set up these days? I think a lot of the speeding we see has a lot to do with programmes like "Top Gear" a programme that I stopped watching the first time they took the Micky out of the speed limits and speed cameras.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#4 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:46 am

Fully agree with all points made, I do speed but only on motorways and always keep a weather eye open for the police, naughty, but it stems from when I virtually lived on motorways and had to cover time limits.
My son is the same now, he's just done Inverness and back in a day, he's a car delivery driver.
By the way it's peeing cats and dogs down here.

signman
Last edited Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:47 am | Top

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:06 am

John I have never knowingly broken the speed limit at anytime, If I had to be somewhere at a certain time I always allowed extra time for the journey to account for delays. I will admit that it is easy to exceed the speed limit without knowing. I remember returning from Dundee one bright summer morning at 4 o clock in the morning and on a motorway just outside Dundee and there was not another car on the road. After about 15 minutes of driving on this motorway I looked down at the clock and I was doing in excess of a 100.m.p.h. I hadn't got a clue.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#6 by Sheldonboy , Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:54 pm

Posted by Voltman
Very good points Phil.
Who are the association of british drivers? (lower case to signal desrepect). And why would a person feel the need to join them?

The first people to complain about crime detection are usually the one's with the most to hide.
Anyway, 60 a day for the whole of Birmingham is nothing considering the number of obvious speeding offences I see on a daily basis, it is just an indicator of how many are let off or get away it.
VM

So if The Association of British Burglars complained about Burglar Alarms, everyone should have them removed.?

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#7 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:59 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to find that the three stooge's from Top Gear are members of the ABD. I think all references to speed in that programme should be censored.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#8 by Voltman , Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:38 pm

They (said stooges) only road test cars that are capable of 180 MPH so I think that tells you all you need to know about them.

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 04.03.2011 | Top

#9 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:35 pm

I think every car that is sold in this country should be fitted with a speed governor that limits them to a maximum of 80.m.p.h. Any car exceeding any speed limit by more than 20.m.p.h. should be banned for life. As should anybody with 3 speeding convictions.

The one thing that these economic cuts have shown us and proved without a doubt in places that they were switched off due to cuts is that speed cameras save lives.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#10 by Sheldonboy , Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:52 pm

Phil, you know that Gallows we were talking about......... ... ... .. . . . . . . . . .!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#11 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:35 pm

SB

I don't think they would be needed because if these speed freaks were banned for life they would top themselves because they wouldn't be able to live without their speed machines.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#12 by Sheldonboy , Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:55 pm

Now you are just trying to take the fun out of everything.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#13 by signman ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:09 am

Why not bring the 50mph back in like they did when the petrol crisis was on, and with the price of petrol today surely it would make sense.

signman

#14 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:31 am

John

There was talk of this a few weeks back, but it seems to have gone quiet again. On a different note, I see there were photos of Jeremy Clarkesons mistress in the Mirror this morning. Now I understand why he likes fast cars, to get away from her I would think.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Life in Cameron's England.

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor