Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Gaiety Music Hall & Cinema

#16 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:06 pm

Lynn

Take no notice of the hecklers, if you ignore them they will go off nicely and play somewhere else.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#17 by Stirling Single , Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:29 pm

Phil, With your recommendation I got the book on eBay for £1.19 The postage was more than the book. Hadn't seen those writings before.

That Rodney Inn picture - It's only this week that I got it from Birmingham Central Library, otherwise you would have heard me up in Birmingham. I had never seen a picture of the inside before and when I saw it in the library I just stood and stared at it. What a superb detailed picture.

Programme Poster excellent as it has that write up at the side.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

#18 by Stirling Single , Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:13 am

Phil,

The book - 'Ring down the Curtain' by Derek Salberg, that you mentioned has just arrived in the post this morning.

What a gem of a book.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#19 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:06 pm

Lynn

I know you already have this photo, but here it is again with some information, I thought you just might like the other one as well.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#20 by Stirling Single , Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:04 am

Phil,

Yes, I do love having the captions to the photos and well the other photo - you say 'you thought I'd like the other one as well!' - Whow, Don't I just ! - You've made my day - Thanks.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#21 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:50 am

Lynn,

I'm pleased that you liked the photo, you are down in my book now, which means that anytime I see anything concerning Holder's Music Hall or Licensed premises I will get a copy for you.

I see that you quite frequently pay us a visit, don't think you are limited to these threads as you are quite welcome to join in on any of the other threads. That is if you can find something of interest to you. If you can't then just start one that does.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#22 by Stirling Single , Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:42 am

Phil,

I enjoy reading the other threads and if I had a little more time to concentrate on yet another subject, - how about Birmingham Street Names and there originations, or should I say ones that haven't been investigated already, but not right now - need to get my desk cleared of an awful lot of other stuff first.
Thanks for putting me on your list, I appreciate that.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#23 by Stirling Single , Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:14 pm

Phil,

Was just thinking !! Would you by any chance know the actual date that your last Gaiety Picture may have been taken.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#24 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:34 pm

Lynn

Sorry I thought I had answered this question, the truth is the only information I have is that with the photo that the card was produced in 1914 and it must have been sent before March of that year,

I suppose you will have this photo of Pitmaston House and you will know that it was demolished and rebuilt, and that later served as the offices for an Insurance Company and I believe it is now some sort of a religious retreat.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil

#25 by Stirling Single , Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:16 pm

Phil,

Thanks for the follow up on The Gaiety.

Yes, I do have this picture of Pitmaston - It's called The Tennis Lawn end of the house.
You are quite right about Pitmaston House in the years from when the Holders lived there and the folk who are now there are a religious organization. I don't know much about what they are involved in but then on the other hand I'm not really interested or involved in any sort of religious things.
Just a pity that the old house, like many others, got knocked down.

Any photos of Moor Green Lane, Russell Road, Holders Lane if you don't mind me asking you all that.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#26 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon May 30, 2011 12:38 pm

Lynn

The photo you sent me by email in my assessment is of course the Gaiety Palace that stood on the corner of Gem Street and Coleshill St (see the 1890 map). As you know it was later demolished and replaced by the Gaiety Cinema then that was later demolish by vandals better known as Birmingham City Council. You can also see the location of The Midland Brewery on the same map.

Lynn it is always nice to receive an email from you, but the rest of the members also want to hear from you, so why not post direct to the forum.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil
Last edited Mon May 30, 2011 12:43 pm | Top

#27 by Stirling Single , Mon May 30, 2011 2:46 pm

Thanks Phil, I should have done that. Will do next time.

Can anyone help me or correct the following -
Does anyone know :-
Dates and changes of name of the building on the corner of Coleshill Street/Gem Street.

1. What was it before it was Holders Music Hall.

And, am I right as follows,

2. Holders Music Hall 1846-1863
Gaiety Palace 1890 as on map that Phil has posted
Gaiety - Theatre of Varieties 1913
The Gaiety 1914
Closed ? the year and reopened as a cinema in ?1920

Then finally closed in ?1969 and pulled down finally in ? what year

I'm finding it hard to follow it as the building seemed to change it's name so many times.

3. Also - Is there any history of the building having been completely demolished and rebuilt in all those years before the year in which it was finally demolished.

Thanks, if anyone has any of this knowledge.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#28 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon May 30, 2011 3:21 pm

Make Love, Not War

phil

#29 by Stirling Single , Mon May 30, 2011 7:23 pm

Phil,
Both excellent sites that I had forgotten to retrace my steps on, now that I'm picking up on the actual dates etc.
I could do with having an extra memory box fitted !! - Thanks Phil, that really is a great help.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#30 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon May 30, 2011 7:34 pm

Lynn

Glad you are getting somewhere, I think you will need Mikes help to answer some of your questions, he might be able to work out what was there before the music hall.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Blakesley Hall

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor