Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Nechells

#91 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:55 pm

Yes Lyn I have it along with quite a few others of Ashted Row

phil

#92 by astoness , Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:52 am

thought you would have that one phil....its from a book our kid gave me the other day..gives the meanings of quite a few streets/roads in brum..very interesting...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#93 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:59 am

Lyn

A few more photos of Ashted Row, which you may or may not have, if you have them no matter as they will be interesting for other members and visitors to look at. I'll make a start with these two photos, I know for certain that the Dog & Partridge public house was on the one corner of Windsor St and I'm almost sure the other photo was on the other corner in fact I think the shop used to be a chemists at one time.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil

#94 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:20 pm

Another couple of photo of Dr Tighe's house on Ashted Row. It's seems there was no shortage of people willing to take photos of the well to do houses. It's a pity they didn't take more of the back street hovels that were within spitting distance of these splendid houses. I always found it pretty incongruous that these sort of houses with their rich owners could be only yards away from what would have been abject poverty at the time they were built.

Attached pictures:
phil

#95 by astoness , Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:27 pm

nice pics phil...off hand i think ive only got 2 of them...

cheers

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#96 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:40 pm

If you stood on Dr Tighe's doorstep on Ashted Row, I wont call it his front door because he had a rather grand entrance at the rear where I suppose the coaches once pulled up and disembarked their passengers. Anyway back to the other side of the road, the first photo is of the Clock Tavern that at the time of the photo was a tally mans warehouse, the second photo shows some good old middle class type houses that at the time of the photos had been allowed to deteriorate.

Attached pictures:
phil

#97 by astoness , Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:09 pm

just looking at your last pic of the row of houses phil..i am totally convinced that a lot of them could have been saved and done up..not all of course as i know there were properties all over brum that were well beyond repair or renovation and unfit to live in...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#98 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:50 pm

Lyn

In all honesty I think very few houses on Ashted Row should have been demolished, I know for certain that Birmingham Council renovated far worse. Often at a cost that was far more than the value of the property when the work was completed. Believe me many properties were unfit to live in, but beyond renovation no.

The only houses that should have been demolished were those back to backs, especially those in back courts. Though those that were street facing with another house at the back of them could have easily been converted into one house.

phil

#99 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:02 pm

Another couple of photos of Ashted Row the first one is the junctions of Dartmouth St - Lawley St - Ashted Row and shows Holbrooks Vinegar Distillery after it was bombed during the war. I think I read that the caretaker was killed in the attack. The second photo shows another part of Ashted Row that I believe suffered some damage in the same raid just on the other side of Windsor St roughly opposite the Dog & Partridge.

Attached pictures:
phil

#100 by Voltman , Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:19 am

Until this morning I was believing that Ashted Row and Vauxhall wotsit were the same thing. Thanks for this new insight guys because as if I don't have enough to do I now have to make sense of the new Nechells when compared with the Nechells that appears only on the corners of my old maps. Brilliant, now I need yet another Godfrey map and longer days.

http://www.npl.co.uk/
http://www.gutenberg.org/
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#101 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:25 pm

Volty

Nechells was a strange place, well it had to be if I lived there. As far as we Nechellites are concerned it encompassed Nechells Green, Vauxhall and Duddeston as well as parts of Aston, Gosta Green & Saltley. Here take a look at this 1940's map before most of the major changes.

Attached pictures:
phil

#102 by Voltman , Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:18 am

There are a lot if road names I haven't heard mentioned in while on that map Phil.
My own personal view of how AB Row got named is that it is at the root of Ashted and Belmont Rows.
(If you ignore Prospect Row)

http://www.npl.co.uk/
http://www.gutenberg.org/
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 09.16.2012 | Top

#103 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:54 am

Volty

For a road that was named comparatively short time ago. I'm afraid that we will never know was was behind it's naming. There have been so many theories put forward but I favour the boundary of Aston & Birmingham that happened about the time that the road was named.

phil

#104 by Deleted User , Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:25 pm

Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Phil, The Monkey House

#105 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:40 pm

Pudding

Many many thanks, as you know I have been after a photo of this pub for years. All I need now is a decent one of the Tom Thumb. I don't suppose he has one of those does he. I had one once and I think I must have cut and pasted it somewhere instead of copying and pasting it, because I have lost it now and I can't remember where I sourced it so all I have is the low resolution one that is floating around the web.

Now that you've joined us, I hope you will pop in now and again to join us, and post some more Nechells photos.

phil

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor