Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Race horses die

#16 by Voltman , Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:26 pm

Berniew, that is assuming they rely on earthrods.
Surely a large commercial premises would have a three phase supply and a supply authority earth terminal?

Phil, he lost me when he mentioned that great work of fiction "The Regs".
VM

CATS leave paw prints on your HEART.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#17 by Sheldonboy , Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:29 pm

Ever wished you hadn't started something?

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#18 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:32 pm

Posted by Voltman
Berniew, that is assuming they rely on earthrods.
Surely a large commercial premises would have a three phase supply and a supply authority earth terminal?

Phil, he lost me when he mentioned that great work of fiction "The Regs".
VM

He lost me after he said "It"

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#19 by berniew , Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:45 pm

I will try Phil in rural areas the electricity is usually delivered by overhead cables and these do not include an earth wire as in your house . The earth is provided by a rod driven into the ground and fault currents travel through this rod via the ground back to the transformer which supplied the power . These transformers can be a long way from the service supplying the installation because of the distance the resistance of the earth path is very high compared to your house typically acceptable values for you house 0.35 ohms max for the rural location 200 ohms max .
Normal fuses or circuit breakers do not trip in the reqired time because the resistance is so high so the installation is protected by a residual current circuit breaker .An rcd works by monitoring the amount of current going out in the live cable and the amount cming back in the neutral , put simply as I can . The fault currents that flow through this rod also produce voltage difference with ground ajoining the earth rod 50v is the maximum it is allowed to be otherwise it can kill animals and wildlife . If the resistance of the earth rod increases , bad cnnections dry ground damaged earth cables then the voltage difference between the rod and surrounding ground will increase under fault conditions and can get high enough to kill animals Probably as clear as mud but Volty will understand .
Bernie

berniew  
berniew
Date registered 12.28.2009

#20 by Sheldonboy , Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:48 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Bernie. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#21 by berniew , Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:50 pm

While I have been composing this other worrk of fiction I missed your post Volty but if the horses were electrocuted I can't imagin anything but a TT system being responsible .
Bernie

berniew  
berniew

#22 by berniew , Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:55 pm

Maybe an earth mat for the main transformer if the supply is that big but they surely wouldn't parade horses over the top of an earth mat .
Bernie

berniew  
berniew

#23 by Sheldonboy , Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:55 pm

I thought that Bernie

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#24 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:55 pm

Didn't they used to use steel cable netting under boggy areas of grass at one time that was used by a lot of traffic. The same as they use nylon cable nets and concrete lattice now.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#25 by Voltman , Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:07 am

Berniew,
That is an excellent explanation, I remember reading something like this in the big yellow - blue - green - red book, whatever colour it is now.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#26 by berniew , Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:31 pm

I must get around to reading that myself VM
Bernie

berniew  
berniew

#27 by Voltman , Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:39 am

I'm waiting for the new FINAL edition(as long as it is Blue), there seems to be a new one every couple of years each one contradicting the one before.
I remember my old 14th, which I still have, was valid for 10 years or so after I bought it and it had been out quite a while then.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 02.15.2011 | Top

#28 by berniew , Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:40 pm

There are ammendments coming out in april for the 17th edition the 16th must have had at least 5 lots at £9 a time to buy its just turned into a giant money making scam . I went to Loughborough on friday to take the ECS safety exam for the third time , lost time from work paid petrol and £35 for a 40 question multi choice exam that lasts a max of 30 mins . There was 1 bloke from the ECA acting as an inviglator 20 people a time in the room and they were held hourly . I have then to renew my JIB card at £15 , the H@S questions don't vary but you have to pay for and take this exam every 3 years . You alarm people don,t know your born Volty .

berniew  
berniew

#29 by Voltman , Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:29 am

Gosh Berniew, what an insult, though I know non was intended.
I don't do alarms anymore, It was the sort of sideline job I only did for friends and family, what I would call a no brainer.
Computer Networks are another side line, this I call glorified telephone wiring, again a no brainer.
I am an electrical contractor. My main areas are...
Electronics design, build and repair.
Contols Panels, for any purpose, design, build and install.
Industrial machinery fault finding and repair.
All types of non domestic installation.

I manage to avoid all this regulatory bullshit, it is the customers problem not mine.
If one of my customers asks for a risk assessment, which of course they rarely do, I tell them it is bloody dangerous to be around me.
Tony Blair, along with his new cable colours, can go screw himself.
I have regular customers who are always pleased to see me, I don't need to wave the latest exam results at them to impress them, or join some boys club for support, I go it alone and put them back in business at a sensible price, this seems to be all people really want.

You can see why I could never work for an employer anymore. Too many parasitic hoops.
Alarm people indeed. Hmmph.
VM

http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 05.06.2014 | Top

#30 by mikejee , Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:29 am

Volty
Do I take it from what you said that the wiring colours on domestic wiring is going to be altered, or were you refering to more techical stuff that ordinary people like me don't have to worry about?

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
How desperate have you got to be.?

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor