Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: It's Friday.

#5566 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:34 am

SB

Sur votre vélo is the only bit of French that I know, so bonne nuit à vous.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#5567 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:19 am

Froggies.

signman

#5568 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:20 pm

For my confused English friends:
Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can raed tihs:
i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg.
It dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey sligne lteter, but the wrod as a wlohe. And I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

signman

#5569 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:26 pm

A quick lunchtime sketch, just to remind you all.

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
signman

#5570 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:29 pm

I've just had a phone call from a young girl Kate, asking me if I would like to go for a drink tonight, all her friends are otherwise engaged, and she said I'm more interesting than them anyway.
Probably I'm her last resort ha, ha, so I agreed to meet her in the Waggon and move on from there.
Not been long back from Rottingdean,painting skull and crossbones for Smugglers night, it's gone very warm here,but weekend ifs forecast to be a disaster,wet and windy.

signman

RE: Happy Thursday

#5571 by astoness , Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:19 pm

Posted by Sheldonboy
Morning John and Denise.
Den why are you up so early, Where is Astoness? Why am I here, Who am I?

here i am...but where are you lot....should i even be here[Laugh Out Loud]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#5572 by astoness , Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:30 pm

Posted by signman
I've just had a phone call from a young girl Kate, asking me if I would like to go for a drink tonight, all her friends are otherwise engaged, and she said I'm more interesting than them anyway.
Probably I'm her last resort ha, ha, so I agreed to meet her in the Waggon and move on from there.
Not been long back from Rottingdean,painting skull and crossbones for Smugglers night, it's gone very warm here,but weekend ifs forecast to be a disaster,wet and windy.

looks like your weekend is sorted out then john....have a nice evening...[Big Smile]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#5573 by Voltman , Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:58 pm

Posted by signman
It dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey sligne lteter, but the wrod as a wlohe. And I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Tath's Blockols.

And this is worse...http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/The-che...-978605645.html

My time is money, I can lend you 10 minutes for lunch.

http://brummiestalking.org.uk/ [Spacer]

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 09.09.2011 | Top

#5574 by astoness , Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:05 pm

Posted by Voltman

Posted by signman

Tath's Blockols.

And this is worse...http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/The-che...-978605645.html

[Laugh Out Loud] volty

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#5575 by Sheldonboy , Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:08 pm

Vrey Fnuny Vltoy

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#5576 by Frothy , Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:15 pm

Rlolnig on the folor lgunaihg my asre off [Little LOL]

http://frothblowers.co.uk/

Frothy
Date registered 07.15.2010

#5577 by astoness , Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:19 pm

Posted by Frothy
Rlolnig on the folor lgunaihg my asre off [Little LOL]

you lot are quite mad...[Laugh Out Loud]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#5578 by Sheldonboy , Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:40 pm

So where is Lady Astoness and her Retinue tonight.
I would imagine she is at home Tatting, they used to do that in Aston when she was a little girl you know.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#5579 by astoness , Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:50 pm

Posted by Sheldonboy
So where is Lady Astoness and her Retinue tonight.
I would imagine she is at home Tatting, they used to do that in Aston when she was a little girl you know.

lol what does tatting mean in your book SB..when i was a kid me and me bro used to go tatting on the bomb pecks..we would collect up all the old copper in a wheel barrow and our dad would burn off the plastic casing in the back garden..let it cool..wrap in into balls and off to the scrap man we would go...of course we always had a cut out of what we got for it...happy days...[Big Smile]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#5580 by Sheldonboy , Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:54 pm

Posted by astoness
[quote="Sheldonboy"]So where is Lady Astoness and her Retinue tonight.
I would imagine she is at home , they used to do that in Aston when she was a little girl you know.

lol what does mean in your book SB..when i was a kid me and me bro used to go tatting on the bomb pecks..we would collect up all the old copper in a wheel barrow and our dad would burn off the plastic casing in the back garden..let it cool..wrap in into balls and off to the scrap man we would go...of course we always had a cut out of what we got for it...happy days...[Big Smile]From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For other uses, see Tatting (disambiguation).

Pine Pattern Collar in Tatting
Tatting is a technique for handcrafting a particularly durable lace constructed by a series of knots and loops. Tatting can be used to make lace edging as well as doilies, collars, and other decorative pieces. The lace is formed by a pattern of rings and chains formed from a series of cow hitch, or half-hitch knots, called double stitches (ds), over a core thread. Gaps can be left between the stitches to form picots, which are used for practical construction as well as decorative effect.
Tatting dates to the early 19th century. The term for tatting in most European languages is derived from French frivolité, which refers to the purely decorative nature of the textiles produced by this technique. The technique was developed to imitate point lace.[1]
Contents [hide]
1 Technique and materials
1.1 Shuttle tatting
1.2 Needle tatting
1.3 Cro-tatting
1.4 Materials
2 Patterns
3 History
4 Notes
5 References
6 External links
[edit]Technique and materials

[edit]Shuttle tatting

Vintage tatting shuttles from the early twentieth century.
Tatting with a shuttle is the earliest method of creating tatted lace. A tatting shuttle facilitates tatting by holding a length of wound thread and guiding it through loops to make the requisite knots. It is normally a metal or ivory pointed oval shape less than 3 inches (76 mm) long, but shuttles come in a variety of shapes and materials. Shuttles often have a point or hook on one end to aid in the construction of the lace. Antique shuttles and unique shuttles have become highly sought after by collectors — even those who do not tat.
To make the lace, the tatter wraps the thread around one hand and manipulates the shuttle with the other hand. No tools other than the thread, the hands, and the shuttle are used, though a crochet hook may be necessary if the shuttle does not have a point or hook.
[edit]Needle tatting

Needle tatting in progress. A completed closed ring of 5ds segments with a picot loop between each is shown. Another uncompleted loop is still on the needle.

Tatting pin
Traditional shuttle tatting may be simulated using a tatting needle or doll needle instead of a shuttle. There are two basic techniques for needle tatting. With the more widely disseminated technique a double thread passes through the stitches. The result is similar to shuttle tatting but is slightly thicker and looser. The second technique approximates true tatting because a single thread passes through the stitches.
Needle tatting originated in the early twentieth century, but did not become popular until much later. A tatting needle is a long, blunt needle that does not change thickness at the eye of the needle. The needle used must match the thickness of the thread chosen for the project. Rather than winding the shuttle, the needle is threaded with a length of thread. To work with a second color, a second needle is used.Although needle tatting looks similar to shuttle tatting, it differs in structure and is slightly thicker and looser because both the needle and the thread must pass through the stitches.
In the late twentieth century, tatting needles became commercially available in a variety of sizes, from fingering yarn down to size 80 tatting thread. Patterns are written specifically for needle tatting, although shuttle tatting patterns may be used without modification. There are currently two manufacturers of tatting needles.
[edit]Cro-tatting
Cro-tatting combines needle tatting with crochet. The cro-tatting tool is a tatting needle with a crochet hook at the end. One can also cro-tat with a bullion crochet hook or a very straight crochet hook. In the nineteenth century, "crochet tatting" patterns were published which simply called for a crochet hook. One of the earliest patterns is for a crocheted afghan with tatted rings forming a raised design.[2] Patterns are available in English and are equally divided between yarn and thread. In its most basic form the rings are tatted with a length of plain thread between them, as in single shuttle tatting. In modern patterns, beginning in the early twentieth century, the rings are tatted and the arches or chains are crocheted. Many people consider cro-tatting more difficult than crochet or needle tatting. Some tatting instructors recommend using a tatting needle and a crochet hook to work cro-tatting patterns. Cro-tatting is most popular in Japan.
NOTE: The stitches of cro-tatting (and needle tatting before you close a ring) unravel easily, unlike tatting that is made with a shuttle.
[edit]Materials
Older designs, especially through the early 1900s, tend to use fine white or ivory thread (50 to 100 widths to the inch) and intricate designs. This thread was either made of silk or a silk blend, to allow for improper stitches to be easily removed. Newer designs from the 1920s and onward often use thicker thread in one or more colors. The best thread for tatting is a "hard" thread that does not untwist readily. DMC Cordonnet thread is a common tatting thread; Perl cotton is an example of a beautiful cord that is nonetheless a bit loose for tatting purposes. Some tatting designs incorporate ribbons and beads.
[edit]Patterns

Older patterns use a long hand notation to describe the stitches needed while newer patterns tend to make extensive use of abbreviations and an almost mathematical looking notation. The following examples describe the same small piece of tatting (the first Ring in the Hen and Chicks pattern)
Ring five ds, three picots separated by five ds, five ds, close, turn, space
R 5ds, 3 p sep by 5ds, 5ds, cl, turn, sp
R 5-5-5-5 cl rw sp
Some tatters prefer a visual pattern where the design is drawn schematically with annotations indicating the number of ds and order of construction. This can either be used on its own or alongside a written pattern.
[edit]History

Necklace made ​​in the technique of tatting with beads and crystals interwoven.
Some believe that tatting may have developed from netting and decorative ropework as sailors and fishers would put together motifs for girlfriends and wives at home. Decorative ropework employed on ships includes techniques (esp. coxcombing) that show striking similarity with tatting. A good description of this can be found in Knots, Splices and Fancywork.
Some believe tatting originated over 200 years ago, often citing shuttles seen in eighteenth century paintings of women such as Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Madame Adelaide (daughter of Louis XV of France), and Anne, Countess of Albemarle. A close inspection of those paintings shows that the shuttles in question are too large to be tatting shuttles, and that they are actually knotting shuttles. There is no documentation, nor any examples of tatted lace, that date prior to 1800. All of the available evidence shows that tatting originated in the early 19th century.[3]
As most fashion magazines, and home economics magazines from the first half of the 20th century attest, tatting had a substantial following. When fashion included feminine touches such as lace collars and cuffs, and inexpensive yet nice baby shower gifts were needed, this creative art flourished. As the fashion moved to a more modern look and technology made lace an easy and inexpensive commodity to purchase, hand-made lace began to decline.
Tatting has been used in occupational therapy to keep convalescent patients' hands and minds active during recovery, as documented, for example, in Betty MacDonald's The Plague & I.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Last edited 09.09.2011 | Top

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor