Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: OPEN ALL HOURS

#1771 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:48 am

Here you are Phil, picture and the whole story.

http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__5263.aspx

signman

#1772 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:52 am

John interesting, but it doesn't say where the design for the sign comes from, if it was from an original drawing or painting of the toll keeper.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#1773 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:04 am

And a bit more....We have recently discovered that my husband's g.g.grandfather, Michael Maynard was the gate-keeper in Aldrington in 1841. His name is the only name on the 1841 census for Aldrington HO 107/1112/2. We were so interested to discover the Old Aldrington Pub Sign on your site showing a tollgate keeper with only one leg as we have recently discovered that Michael Maynard only had one leg!Michael Maynard was born at Cold Harbour, adjoining Plaw Hatch Gate in the parish of East Grinstead in 1809. In 1878 there was a report on the Ashdown Forrest Dispute and statements were taken by many of the residents living there at the time. These included a statement by Michael Maynard who had left Aldringham sometime between 1841 and 1851 and returned to live in the place of his birth (Cold Harbour in Ashdown Forrest). Part of his statement reads "I was born on the property and lived there till about 14 when I went to service on Cansiron Farm for about a year, then to Holyte with a Mr Gasson who had Courtlands Farm for 1 year. Then I went brickmaking in the summer and hoopshaving in the Winter for 3 or 4 years. During this time I went back and forwards to home. Then I had my leg off at Brighton Hospital from a cold caught brickmaking. Then went turnpike gate keeping and other occupations till I came home about 30 years ago". Is it possible to find out if the name of Michael Maynard is given as Gate-Keeper in 1831. There is an element of mystery surrounding the marriage of Michael Maynard, if he is gate-keeper in 1831 is there a wife with him? You mentioned that there were two people on the 1831 Aldrington Census. How about the Old Inn itself? Was this built on the site of the old tollgate? When was it built? Does anyone know what happened to the Old Inn Sign showing the man with one leg? Is it in a Museum anywhere? If anyone can answer any of these questions we would be very grateful. Many thanks for such an interesting site.

By Bernice Maynard (07/04/2008)

signman

#1774 by signman ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:09 am

Phil, I would imagine that the original was done by a brewery signwriter using his imagination to depict what they knew of the sites history.

signman

#1775 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:20 pm

That's done it, you won't see me in Brighton again. Not if they take your leg off if you catch a cold.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#1776 by Sheldonboy , Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:07 pm

Good Evening each.

I started out with nothing and Iv'e still got most of it left

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#1777 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:29 pm

John

I've just thought why they take your leg off in Brighton if you get the sniffles. Of you can only walk in circles you can't get out of town.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#1778 by Sheldonboy , Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:44 pm

Volty saw a bloke with no legs at a bus stop in Brighton. He asked him how he was getting on? [Silly Grin]

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#1779 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Anybody heard from Denise, there has been no sign of her for three or four days?

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#1780 by Sheldonboy , Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:46 pm

No Phil I havn't heard from Denise this week but I havn't been around much this week. I'll send an email in case you havn't. SB

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#1781 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:07 pm

SB

You do that I haven't done so, but I would have done in a couple of days.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#1782 by Sheldonboy , Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:22 pm

Ok mate I'm sorry there is nobody about tonight. But after a long day with not much sleep last night. I am Boggered. ( Great word ). Be back in the morning goodnight.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#1783 by Sheldonboy , Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:07 am

Good morning everyone. It's very quiet on here again.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#1784 by astoness , Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:09 am

morning SB[Big Smile]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#1785 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:08 am

Morning all,

Another brand new day.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Open All Hours 2010

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor