Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: OPEN ALL HOURS

#1381 by astoness , Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:55 pm

just like to welcome stars to our little chat thread...

just stopped raining here and the sun is out...[Big Smile]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#1382 by signman ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:29 pm

Spoke too soon it's tipping it down again.

signman

#1383 by mikejee , Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:34 pm

Same here. Got back from town just in time

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#1384 by astoness , Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:34 pm

lovely sunshine here still john...strange day today thats for sure..

hello mike..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 02.18.2012 | Top

#1385 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:49 pm

SB

So how did the air guitar go today?

Phil

phil

#1386 by astoness , Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:51 pm

yes SB how did it go...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#1387 by astoness , Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:25 pm

where has SB gone now...ask him a question and hes off[Hammers][Little LOL]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#1388 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:44 pm

I suppose all that reliving of his youth has wore him out

phil

#1389 by astoness , Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:47 pm

think you are right phil..hes prob zonked out now...[Laugh Out Loud]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#1390 by Sheldonboy , Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:02 pm

Evening all, I had a very nostalgic visit this morning, I went with my wife Jo to High Street Erdington, to the re-opening of Walmsley's furniture shop. Why because upstairs was where MOTHERS CLUB used to be. Mothers was previously known as the Carlton Club for some of our mature readers.
The object of the occassion was to get a blue plaque to be put on the wall.
It changed to MOTHERS in 1968. Mothers was like no other club. There was very little furniture, two very cheap bars (Scrumpy Cider 1/6d pint). The walls and ceiling were painted very dark and it used to be packed to capacity.
What made Mothers so special was the atmosphere, it was incredible friendly/genuine people who just wanted to see the best Rock/Blues/ Folk bands in the world at the cheapest price possible. My night out at Mothers cost 10/- entrance fee and with my bus fare to get there and a couple of Ciders I could just do it for under a pound. That was with walking home from Erdington to Sheldon of course. Sometimes we had a lift home from local bands after we helped the roadies with the equipment.
It was also known as the hottest place in the world, it was very hot in there especially in the summer, it was quite common to see girls pass out with the heat and they had to be passed overhead to the fire escape to be cooled down and brought round.
The bands we saw were what went on to be the biggest in the world, some still going forty years on. The first three bands I saw there was Deep Purple, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin.
Others many will not have heard of.
The Who performed their masterpiece Tommy for us. We saw it Live in it's entirety Two weeks before it's London debut.
Pink Floyd recorded part of their Ummagumma double album live there, some of it was recorded at a Manchester College.
Billboard magazine in America possibly the worlds biggest Music publication voted Mothers "The Worlds Best Rock Venue" now considering there were thousands of them, that was some accolade. Mothers slogan was "The Home of Good Sounds". It was also full of really nice people. You could walk into Mothers any time it was open and just start chatting to anyone. If you did that nowadays you would probably end up battered.
I have to say I saw and heard many ghosts today and recalled just some of the best memories. In it's heyday Mothers boasted 36000 members so you can imagine it was very full.
The re-opening was performed by Steve Gibbons who at 71 years of age is still playing great gigs with his band. Dave Pritchard was also there with other members of The Idle Race a Brummie Band from the sixties.
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
I think it would be a good idea to have a Birmingham Music thread, considering Brums Club history, countless bands and artists there was no way it could be exhausted.
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
It was a pleasure to see Frothy and his wife who came to have a look, unfortunately I didn't get much time for a chat hopefully I will next time.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#1391 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:23 pm

So it was a club then?

Phil

phil

#1392 by Sheldonboy , Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:24 pm

GERROFF

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#1393 by astoness , Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:24 pm

right so after reading all that SB i can take it you rated mothers then[Little LOL] seriously though so glad you had a trip down memory lane today..the club certainly did a lot for the upcoming bands of the day...did they get the blue plaque????and whats this about froth and cath being there...a meet without me ???[Hammers]

nice post SB any piccies...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#1394 by Sheldonboy , Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:30 pm

Posted by astoness
right so after reading all that SB i can take it you rated mothers then[Little LOL] seriously though so glad you had a trip down memory lane today..the club certainly did a lot for the upcoming bands of the day...did they get the blue plaque????and whats this about froth and cath being there...a meet without me ???[Hammers]

nice post SB any piccies...

The Blue Plaque business will take time.
As for a meet without you (unthinkable) but first one has to get up more than six hours after it got light.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#1395 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:42 pm

Posted by Sheldonboy

The Blue Plaque business will take time.

It shouldn't take long SB, Percy Shurmer only had to wait 50 years after he died. Then they stuck it on some school he had never even seen, instead of putting it where his house had been.

Phil

phil

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor