Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: OPEN ALL HOURS

#721 by astoness , Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:54 am

morning phil..yes you have the right idea there...stay put till the house warms up..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#722 by Voltman , Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:05 am

Phil, some years ago a device was manufactured that would solve your problem.
Known as a Time Switch, this clever bit of kit will switch on your central heating at a predetermined moment prior to you getting out of bed, thereby warming the house in readiness.

This device has developed over the years and can now predict just how early it should perform said function, basing its decision on the ambient temperature without heating and having learned how long it takes to heat your house to your desired level.

This assumes you have central heating out there in the sticks. Perhaps you have to build a fire in the grate and then retire to bed while it does its work?

http://www.gutenberg.org/
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#723 by astwood , Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:08 am

Morning All
Really freezing wind up here today

astwood  
astwood
Date registered 02.28.2012

#724 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:41 pm

Volty

We have the most useless central heathing that you can get, "hot air" it takes all day to heat the whole house up. The only way to ensure waking up to a warm house is to leave it on all night which is what we do in the winter. I was being facetious about going back to bed, but seriously about the central heating. I wanted to install radiators but the wife won't hear of it because of the upheaval. I have tried to explain to her that using micropipe and skirting that hides the pipework that the disturbance is kept to a minimum but she won't hear of it. We had a new boiler fitted recently and I wanted to do it then. The only good thing about our heating is in a humid summer you can put the cold air on and it is circulated around the house by the fan.

phil

#725 by mikejee , Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:50 pm

I sympathise Phil. My house also has that awful heating system. It is useless, and the upheaval that having a new system installed puts me off having a proper system installed. When I bought the house i was an innocent with regards to things like tbhat unfortunately.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#726 by Voltman , Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:35 pm

Would it not be possible to install the hot water pipes through the air ducting to some extent?
Thereby limiting the damage.

The hot air system can be set to run poorly by people who don't understand it.
The domestic types I have encountered run along the same lines as the industrial Combat models.

A gas burner heats a chamber through which air pipes pass.
The gas burner is controlled by a room thermostat and an overheat thermostat in the chamber.
The air fan is controlled by two thermostats mounted in the chamber, one to start the fan when the chamber is good and hot and one to keep the fan running after the burner has stopped in order to cool the chamber.

Because the chamber will crack if allowed to overheat, most engineers seem to set the fan "start" temperature quite low. The downside of this is that the chamber never reaches its optimum operating temperature because it is being cooled before it is ready and never catches up. Thus the output air is too cool.

The answer is to raise the fan start temperature to the correct level so that the chamber gets properly hot before the airflow arrests any further rise in temperature. This allows a higher air temperature to be maintained.
This is not a setting to be messed with but the manufacturer's manual should give the correct setting.
Voltman

http://www.gutenberg.org/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#727 by Deleted User , Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:01 pm

Well it is so cold today..............think I need a medal for walking my dogs tonight.
Been busy at work and had a stressy day Tuesday so wish I could stay under the duvet.

#728 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:08 pm

Volty

I think the system is set up correctly I just think the whole idea is flawed. As for replacing it with radiators I've got friends in the central heating game that assure me that apart from blocking up the existing vents we won't even know they have been there Unfortunately that will mean redecorating every room in the house. I've even suggested to the wife that we leave the vents in even though they won't be required any longer. Mind you though it's a mute point now as I had the existing system renewed and brought up to date less than a couple of years back.

phil

#729 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Quote: denise wrote in post #21844
Well it is so cold today..............think I need a medal for walking my dogs tonight.
Been busy at work and had a stressy day Tuesday so wish I could stay under the duvet.

Who's been giving you a hard time Denise, tell us and we will sort them out.

phil

#730 by Deleted User , Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:29 pm

Bless you Phil.It was just one of those days lol

#731 by astoness , Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:41 pm

Quote: phil wrote in post #21846

i will join in as well den..i just feel like battering someone[Hammers][Hammer Head Yellow]

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#732 by Sheldonboy , Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:43 pm

Quote: astoness wrote in post #21848
Quote: phil wrote in post #21846

i will join in as well den..i just feel like battering someone[Hammers][Hammer Head Yellow]

Oh God Den, warn Lichfield the BT mob are on their way over, they may need the SAS. (Senior Air Service).

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#733 by lynne webb , Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:07 pm

I'll hold the coats and leave the punch up to you younger ones..

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#734 by Sheldonboy , Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:29 pm

I have to say Goodnight. I am only allowed so much fun in one day.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#735 by astoness , Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:29 pm

Quote: lynne webb wrote in post #21850
I'll hold the coats and leave the punch up to you younger ones..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor