Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Open All Hours

#2416 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:38 am

John

The only thing I would say against the Waggon is it has stools at the bar, I hope they take them out when the pub gets crowded. I have been known to spill drinks when being served at a bar, especially when someone sitting or drinking at the bar refuses to move. I of course always apologise and move away smiling.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#2417 by mikejee , Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:07 am

If it didn't have stools at the bar , then that would count against it in my eyes Phil
mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#2418 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:31 am

Mike

So you are one of these people who hogs all the room at the bar and prevents the serious drinker from getting to his drink? I used to hate it when I couldn't get near a bar for people sitting at the bar sipping a half pint. I got round this by sorting out the best bar man or bar maid on duty and always buying them a drink every time I ordered. Even in a strange pub by the end of the night they were pulling my drink as I walked up to the bar.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#2419 by Deleted User , Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:45 am

I have no objections to people sitting at the Bar when the pub is quiet.

Sitting at the bar when the pub is busy is to my mind just wrong.

Bar hoggers are in the way at these times,would you sit in front of people in a queue at a checkout............??

#2420 by mikejee , Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Actually, perhaps i put that a bit wrong. I'm not too bothered about whether there are stools at the bar, and in fact i only occcasionally use them, but i do not like palces where you are herded into sitting down at a table . what i should have said was that if you had to sit down at a table that would count against it in my eyes.
mike

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#2421 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:51 pm

The stools are removed every evening at 6 pm and don't go back until morning, even if you ask for one.

signman

#2422 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:06 pm

Just been announced that all Jaguar jobs in the midlands are safe until at least 2020

signman

#2423 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:33 pm

Posted by mikejee
Actually, perhaps i put that a bit wrong. I'm not too bothered about whether there are stools at the bar, and in fact i only occcasionally use them, but i do not like palces where you are herded into sitting down at a table . what i should have said was that if you had to sit down at a table that would count against it in my eyes.
mike

I remember when visiting relations in Dundee a few years back, we went to a huge pub one evening. There wasn't a chair in the place, I started doing my usual of buying the barman a drink my cousin who I was with nearly cracked up and said don't do that. They will think you are gay.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#2424 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:37 pm

John

I'm glad to hear that about the stools in the bar, it sounds as if your nephew has got his head screwed on right. The other thing I can't stand is a television in a pub.

By the way John, did you hear your old school (Moseley Art) has gone on the top ten most endangered building list. They think there is a real danger of it falling down.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#2425 by astoness , Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:46 pm

hi everyone...now calm down volty its only a commercial[Little LOL] must say i prefer the spit and sawdust pubs myself...cant stand the thought of having to dress up and be someone who i am not to go into these yuppyfied wine bars that sell food at extortionate prices...jeans tee shirt and boots will do me just fine....with a dart board and pool table if possible....[Skipping Happy]hence my love of the back st pubs...well whats left of them...[Crying]

lyn.

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#2426 by Deleted User , Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:15 pm

Good news about Jag.

We have a nice old fashioned pub right by us........always go in when friends vist.

#2427 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:02 pm

I'm not surprised at that Phil, being as it's now owned by moslems.

signman

#2428 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:23 pm

After reading this I may retract the above statement.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/birmingham/h...000/9080444.stm

signman

#2429 by phil ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:25 pm

It really annoy me that there are no powers to ensure that people who take on these listed buildings are made to keep them in good order of repair. These powers can only be brought into force to ensure that any building being repaired is done correctly and in the correct manner of the time period of the building. That is why so many listed buildings are being allowed to crumble.

Its about time the laws were changed, but that is never going to happen because the government and the various councils own a large proportion of them.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#2430 by signman ( deleted ) , Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:28 pm

It's a lovely building inside (or was) this is the entrance hall, I remember drawing these stairs as though it were yesterday.
And a photo from 1904 2 years after the school opened The school is behind the tram.

signman

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Open All Hours 2011

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor