Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: Car Boot Sales & Craft & Antique Fairs

#16 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:19 pm

Lyn

Silver plate means it is a base metal electroplated with a very thin coat of nickel silver. What is now known as EPNS. Mind you it is probably made with the finest of Sheffield Steel to my mind as good as silver any day.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#17 by astoness , Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:19 pm

no way SB its staying in me kitchen...really pleased about this...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#18 by astoness , Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:51 pm

thank you again phil...i guess this means i can clean it up now to its former glory...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#19 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:16 am

Don't rub too hard Lyn you may get a Genie appear....anyway if you do I hope you get all that you wish for....you may get Volty appear, in that case I hope you get all that you pay for.

Please spread the word about Brummies Talking
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#20 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:47 am

Morning Lyn,
EPNS wasn't invented until 1840 (by a Birmingham firm Elkingtons) so it could be any year after that.
Be careful how you clean it, don't use metal polish, dust with a stiff brush first, then polish lightly with a cloth and a small amount of linseed oil and talcum powder, finishing with a dry soft cloth.

signman

#21 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:50 am

mornin john...good advice that

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#22 by astoness , Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:01 am

thanks john..ive been advised to take it to a jobbing polisher in the jeweller quarter...should not cost me much more than a fiver so i guess if you add up the cost of buying the polishing stuff and a lot of hard work coupled with the fact that i may not do it right it would be well worth doing that...so i think i will take that advise...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#23 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:00 am

Lyn, Also watch you don't damage the heat insulators on the lid and where the handle connects to the body, probably made of plastic, but could be ivory, or some type of bone.
I would advise taking the top of the lid off by unscrewing the wing nut inside and cleaning the bone (plastic) with warm water and mild detergent, and a small brush (tooth).
Also you could try white toothpaste or lemon juice and a bit of salt.

signman
Last edited Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:05 am | Top

#24 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:12 am

Lyn

If you have it polished professionally then I think you can ask for it to be lacquered so that it doesn't tarnish again and you will only need to dust it in future.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil
Last edited Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:13 am | Top

#25 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:24 am

Lyn

On reading a little more about the subject, I read that Henry Wilkinson obtained his license for electo plating in 1843 so he must have been among the first to carry out this trade in the modern electro plating process.

So this could narrow the date down a little more. What you really need for it to be worth something is for it to be "Sheffield Plate" and be made by the older process. But if Henry Wilkinson wasn't in business until 1840 that is hardly likely.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#26 by astoness , Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:03 pm

thanks john for the advise and phil for all the info...such a lot for one small pot...i must confess that after i bought it i was convinced it had some silver in in and so i used some of me sons special paste he uses for cleaning his bike...after giving it a clean up some other markings appeared which have obviously been stratched on...if you look to the right you can just see them..i wonder if anyone can make out what they are..seems to be the letter W AND K and maybe a Y...its so difficult to tell...

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#27 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:29 pm

Lyn

It may have been the name of the original owners scratched on the base for security. I must caution you against any further cleaning yourself using domestic cleaning agents. As you can see from your first attempts you have gotten down to the base metal. This is because the original plating with silver would have been very thin.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#28 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:01 pm

Sometimes these marks were put on if it had been repaired at some time, like you occasionally see inside watch cases.

signman

#29 by Voltman , Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:04 pm

SB. FYI I stopped appearing from teapots many years ago.

Anyone informed that the universe is expanding and contracting in pulsations of eighty billion years has a right to ask, “What’s in it for me?”
Peter De Vries (b. 1910)
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#30 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:15 pm

VM That's a shame you could have changed so many lives

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor