Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Birmingham Library Cuts

#1 by astoness , Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:01 pm

seems the city cant afford to support the services this library was built for....staff cuts...opening hours cut and most worrying is that it looks like the archives dept will also bit hit by denying the public access to materials such as the photographic side among other things....i knew 4 years ago that this project would be a failure and so ive been proved right....if the photos are going to be locked away then they may as well burn the bloody lot...and i dont want to hear the library saying oh dont worry about the photographs we will digitise them and put them all online...load of rubbish as they have millions locked away and it would take donkeys years and a lot of staff to do this....and so once again for the sake over an over priced glitzy supposed show stopper of a building the people of birmingham will suffer again...im disgusted..

http://francishodgson.com/2014/12/22/ano...bites-the-dust/

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 01.07.2015 | Top

RE: BIRMINGHAM LIBRARY CUTS

#2 by mikejee , Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:25 pm

I agree Lyn, though to be (a little bit) fair this has more to do with the present government than the city council, who, like other councils (except the affluent ones in Surrey, Westminster etc) are all being hit by these vicious cuts.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#3 by astoness , Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:34 pm

Quote: mikejee wrote in post #2
I agree Lyn, though to be (a little bit) fair this has more to do with the present government than the city council, who, like other councils (except the affluent ones in Surrey, Westminster etc) are all being hit by these vicious cuts.

mike to be honest i dont think it matters who is in government the little people will always suffer...bcc wanted the biggest and best library built...they did not have to put the plans forward or agree with them...i believe that albert blore was totally against this library being built and refused to attend the opening...well he has also been proved right....its a bit like us going into debt to buy a rolls royce car and then finding out we cant afford the petrol to run it...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#4 by astoness , Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:56 pm

reading the proposed cuts they may as well close the library completely...

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/reg...ifeline-8394050

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#5 by Voltman , Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:12 pm

It would have been better if they (our wonderful council) had done their sums sooner instead of celebrating how wonderful they are.

The David Hey's Collection of Railway Photographs
Calendars for all years
If I drank less I would have more money left over for buying wine.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 01.07.2015 | Top

#6 by berniew , Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:26 pm

The repayments on the building costs are around half the budget to run the library so it looks like another white elephant to become a branch office of the London based British Library . What a way to spend our money should have built something far cheaper and been able to afford to run it

berniew  
berniew
Date registered 12.28.2009

#7 by astoness , Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:07 am

Quote: Voltman wrote in post #5
It would have been better if they (our wonderful council) had done their sums sooner instead of celebrating how wonderful they are.

totally agree volty...what gets me is that work has now started to demolish the old library and surrounding buildings and the area will then be called paradise.....2 new hotels and an office block are going to be built this is on top of the new metro line that is being built and HS2....can someone please tell me if i am a complete idiot in thinking that surely it would have been better to leave this project until it can be afforded...birmingham citys financial problems are now spiralling out of control..it wont be long before we are completely bankrupt...can no one stop the idiots who are hell bent on ruining us...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 01.08.2015 | Top

#8 by Voltman , Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:14 am

Surely the council would have let the land for private development?
In which case the income should be substantial and will pay for the library and it's future running costs.

Or is the land already private and the council were paying rent for it?

Calendars for all years

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#9 by astoness , Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:57 am

Quote: Voltman wrote in post #8
Surely the council would have let the land for private development?
In which case the income should be substantial and will pay for the library and it's future running costs.

Or is the land already private and the council were paying rent for it?

good point volty and im not sure but if you look at this link it does seem that bcc have a hand in it....cant be certain though..i do know that contractors carrillion who are mentioned in this report built the new library...

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/business...-circus-8290641

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#10 by Voltman , Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:07 pm

The mention of Developers and Public Realm must be clues. The report seems to say that BCC and BT Pension fund are the developer.
Carillion are one of the city's main contractors so they are involved in lot of works.

Calendars for all years

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#11 by astoness , Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:13 pm

Quote: Voltman wrote in post #10
The mention of Developers and Public Realm must be clues. The report seems to say that BCC and BT Pension fund are the developer.
Carillion are one of the city's main contractors so they are involved in lot of works.

so would you agree volty that it does seem that bcc are in part funding this project...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#12 by Voltman , Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:26 pm

It looks that way.
I like the bit about the office space being speculative, just the sort of thing one might do with someone else's money, which applies to BCC and BT Pension.

Calendars for all years

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#13 by astoness , Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:15 pm

Quote: Voltman wrote in post #12
It looks that way.
I like the bit about the office space being speculative, just the sort of thing one might do with someone else's money, which applies to BCC and BT Pension.

typical volty...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#14 by Voltman , Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:14 am

Well at least the Carbuncle will be no more.
I spent a lot of time in there during the summer between leaving school and starting work.
It was a marvellous piece of work at the time, it is just a pity that it was never properly finished and all around it was an untidy mess.

Calendars for all years

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#15 by Sheldonboy , Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:53 am

A city councillor told me the old library wasn't finished. It was never meant to look like that.
Unfortunately the new one is.

The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor