Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: BIRMINGHAM LIBRARY CUTS

#16 by Voltman , Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:51 pm

Fortunately the new one won't look as good as it does for very long.
It will corrode, bits will fall off and the foundations will collapse.

The David Hey's Collection of Railway Photographs
Calendars for all years
If I drank less I would have more money left over for buying wine.

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#17 by Cleopatra , Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:22 am

I give it no more than ten years.

Cleopatra
Date registered 02.01.2014

#18 by Sheldonboy , Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:40 pm

Quote: Voltman wrote in post #16

Maybe it will fall on that bloody statue outsde.

The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#19 by astoness , Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:05 pm

Quote: Voltman wrote in post #16

I've been saying that even before they started building it Volty...actually if it does collapse we will get another view of the foundations of the Winfield Brass Co. that lies beneath the library...oh no I forgot...we won't as the idiots removed all trace of them[Frowning]

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 01.11.2015 | Top

#20 by Voltman , Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:02 am

And we all know where some of that went.

Calendars for all years

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#21 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:53 pm

Quote: Voltman wrote in post #20
And we all know where some of that went.

Where?

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#22 by astoness , Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:06 pm

prob used as foundations for that dam library....

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#23 by astoness , Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:11 pm

forgot to say that carl chinn has written a letter to the editor of the mail and hes really let the council have it...i have seen his article but im not at liberty to post it anywhere until its gone to print in the next day or two....after that i will post it for those who may miss it...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#24 by Voltman , Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:41 pm

Quote: astoness wrote in post Winfield Brass Co.
hi all..last year i took great pleasure in following the progress of an archaelogical dig that took place in a car park in between the symphony hall and baskerville house...the ground is to be where the new central library is now being built..winfields was one of if not the biggest brass works in birmingham in the mid 1800s...many artifacts were uncovered during the dig whick will be kept in the musuem and a full report will be published in about 18 months..amongst other things uncovered were hundreds of blue bricks which were invented by thomas walker who is buried at key hill cemetary..by going through the proper channels i was able to aquire quite a few of these bricks which otherwise were only going to be skipped..i do feel that if a little forthought had gone into it by the powers that be these bricks could have been put to a very good use..ie why not ship them all over to somewhere like the black country museum and use them for making pathways etc...again to easy a solution..anyhow some of them have found a very fitting resting place as they now make a lovely small patio in front of thomas walkers gravestone at key hill and i have some in my back garden.....there is nothing left now of what you will see in my pics as it was all dug up to make way for the foundations of the new library...yet another piece of brum history gone forever and it upsets me greatly...it all started with an article in the evening mail and the rest as they say is history...

lyn

See this thread for the whole story..... Winfield Brass Co.

Calendars for all years

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Last edited 01.11.2015 | Top

#25 by astoness , Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:38 pm

carl chinns letter which was in yesterdays evening mail...good for him i say but knowing bcc it will all fall on deaf ears...

Dear Editor

Rightfully many Birmingham people have been angered and dismayed at the proposed plans by the Council to drastically cut both the numbers of staff and the opening hours at the Library of Birmingham. The strength of feeling about this pressing issue was reflected on Wednesday night when over 200 people attended a public meeting called by the Friends of Birmingham Archives & Heritage.
All those present agreed that the proposals for the loss of jobs of 100 skilled and dedicated librarians and archivists would badly damage Birmingham’s reputation as a major centre of local, regional, national and international archives and, indeed, of learning. Moreover the shorter opening hours would adversely affect the opportunities for the citizens of our city, most especially the families of working-class Brummies, to access the Library and its facilities.
At the end of that meeting, I proposed the motion ‘that this meeting expresses unanimously its solidarity with the librarians and the archivists of the Library of Birmingham’. It was passed unanimously. Consequently I would urge the people of Birmingham to join me and many others in supporting the Friends of the Library of Birmingham (FoLoB) and Friends of Birmingham Archive & Heritage (FoBAH) in campaigning against the Council’s plans.
A City is not merely a physical place, it is a place where the mind and the soul should be nurtured and nourished as much as the body. Libraries are vital to that process of enlightenment. And as an iconic centre of learning, the Library of Birmingham – along with our community libraries - should be open and accessible morning, noon and night.

Professor Carl Chinn MBE

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#26 by Slow Jo , Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:59 pm

Good for carl chinn ,maybe they will take a bit of notice now he has joined the fight ,but don't hold your breath.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

#27 by Sheldonboy , Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:10 pm

Thank you Lyn, an excellent piece from Professor Chinn.
I have stated many times of course, my thoughts on our wonderful new Library. I HATE it, I HATE the design I Hate the sight of it and the total waste of money that was spent on it and of course the hideous statue out at the front of it that is supposed to depict a typical Birmingham family. WHAT two Birmingham women unmarried with children. What an insult to the rest of Birmingham society.
The city of course should have a Library and now we have this awful eyesore it should of course be used to it's full extent. Anything else is a waste of time and a massive resource. I fully support Professor Chinn and if Carl feels he wants to use this forum to express his views he would be more than welcome. This is also open to the friends of The Birmingham Archives and Heritage.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#28 by astoness , Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:20 pm

thanks SB but i fear that that jos post has said it all....it will of course all fall on deaf ears...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#29 by mikejee , Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:10 pm

I'm afraid you are probably right Lyn.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#30 by Voltman , Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:08 am

Is there any link between Chinn's newspaper column and his University redundancy?

Incidentally, when 200 people turn up to a "Friends Of" meeting it isn't surprising that they would all agree in favour of those they are "Friends Of"

Calendars for all years

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor