Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Central Fire Station Under Threat.

#1 by astoness , Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:10 am

hi all..here are some pics of the inside of the old central fire station...one idea was to build a block of student flats in the middle of it shown in pic 1.....i think that was put on the back burner and a petition was raised to save the station and the brillient art deco interior...if this lot goes then i just give up...

lyn

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 06.29.2014 | Top

RE: FIRE STATION UNDER THREAT

#2 by astoness , Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:12 am

pics 4..5 and 6

Attached pictures:

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#3 by astoness , Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:16 am

sorry missed 6...pity it could not be turned into some sort of museum...but thats to easy a solution for the powers that be...

Attached pictures:

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#4 by Deleted User , Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:41 am

Oh wow Lyn,I see what you mean,I have driven past a million times and never thought about the inside.It is stunning.

Was it always a fire station,purpose built I mean or was it something else to start with?

Last edited Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:42 am | Top

#5 by astoness , Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:50 am

hi denise...its always been a fire station..i am so glad you agree about this building as it is very deceiving..from the outside it may not look that much but as you can see the inside is worth its weight in gold...these pics were only taken last year with permission to take them....its been a good couple of years now since it was used as a fire station...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#6 by Deleted User , Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:57 am

Hire it out to film makers,Poirot would love that setting.That lift door is a dream.

#7 by astoness , Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:19 pm

another brillient idea denise i can just see poirot running round there with his little grey cells going ten to the dozen lol...seriously though i am afaid that the powers that be usually cant see beyond how they can make the most money out of buildings like this...they have been getting rid of our historical buidings for years...usually demolishing them to build yet more flats or office blocks that are left empty...just take a look round the city centre for instance at the ones that have lain dormant for years and yet they still insist on throwing them up...oh boy im off for a strong cuppa as im getting angry again....
lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#8 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:01 pm

I have been inside that station myself, and even went to my sons long service medal presentation in the hall that is shown in one of the photos. It is a good building but I think the university as owners of the land want rid of it.

We all know that a piece of land of that size in that location is worth a fortune. In reality we all know what will happen to it.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#9 by Voltman , Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:16 pm

I see a five star hotel with a marvellous ballroom.

Anyone informed that the universe is expanding and contracting in pulsations of eighty billion years has a right to ask, “What’s in it for me?”
Peter De Vries (b. 1910)
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#10 by astoness , Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:49 pm

yes phil..i remember you saying that you had been inside it....so between 3 of us we have now come up with 3 good ideas of what could be done with the fire station just a pity that we have got a lot more vision that the money grabbers..off for another cuppa..

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#11 by phil ( deleted ) , Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:27 pm

Has anybody seen the new premises that they moved into. On the site of the old Co-op Dairy on Vauxhall Rd. Admittedly it looks like a bigger site, but its nothing more than a glorified factory unit. I think its a disgrace for the headquarters of an emergency service that covers the whole of the West Midlands.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil

#12 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:50 pm

I used to go to the annual displays at Central Fire Station. My sisters Sister in law worked in the operations. Room. My mates uncle Ray Kilburn Known to many in the sixties and seventies was Brigade Union rep. His son also Ray Kilburn was a fireman there too. To my mind Central Fire Station would make. A great National Fire Museum. SB

Please spread the word about Brummies Talking
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 07.05.2010 | Top

#13 by astoness , Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:19 pm

phil i thought it was a factorty unit when i saw the pic..

well its thumbs up from SB to turn it into a fire museum..or why not incorporate all the emergency services...good ideas but i am afraid they will only fall on deaf ears as per usual...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#14 by Deleted User , Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:13 pm

Someone needs to get a grade 1 listing on that building .....fast.

#15 by Sheldonboy , Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:26 pm

Good idea Den, one problem though. The land it stands on is worth a fortune.

Please spread the word about Brummies Talking
Visitors copy this link.. http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor