Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

RE: LEST WE FORGET WW1 AND WW2

#31 by Cleopatra , Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:45 pm

Astoness, I went to the site. I can see why you use it so much.

Cleopatra
Date registered 02.01.2014

#32 by astoness , Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:01 am

Quote: Cleopatra wrote in post #31
Astoness, I went to the site. I can see why you use it so much.

hi cleo another one who cant sleep i see....yes the barra site is wonderful..i found it very useful when i clicked on the name of my rellie who died during the bombings because it gave me the name of his father and mother which confirmed my family research..must add that that info is not always available though..

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#33 by Sheldonboy , Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:31 pm

The email of the species is more deadly than the mail.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#34 by astoness , Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:05 am

.many times i have said before that for those who made it back life was very difficult for them..not only by coming home wounded but many came back mentally scared..no help back then like we have today.. today we only have to go to the docs and say we cant cope with everyday stresses and its straight off for councilling and given a load of medication to help us.....we can only imagine the horrors enjured by so many..this brave man took his life beause he couldnt live with what he had seen in battle..so what?? can we really say we hand on heart that we could have come back from that awful war and have got on with life as though nothing had happened ?? i personally know of 2 men who threw away their medals not because they didnt want recognition for their bravery but because they wanted no reminder of what they had gone through..this man did his bit and he didnt have to...not to have his name on a war memorial is disgraceful..maybe not killed in action but he died as a result of that terrible war..back then ideas of suicide were looked upon as though the men were weak willed..how the hell can a man like this who gave so much be weak...someone needs to put this mans name on a memorial and show a bit of bloody compassion...this is just my opinion...

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/mid...d-after-7512658

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 07.27.2014 | Top

#35 by mikejee , Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:30 pm

Couldn't agree more Lyn. I am ot clear though as to the reason that he was not on a memorial. Was it because he did not die on the battlefield, and only those actually dying there were included, or was it because of the bigoted opinions of the church, who sent him off with prayers and adulation, but refused him a churchyard grave. If it was the former I would guess that ,if others in a simllar position were included, then there must be many other in the same position, as the war so deeply affected so many of its combatants.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#36 by Sheldonboy , Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:51 pm

I think that when people die and the reasons don't suit other people some funny ideas come into play and they start playing God.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#37 by astoness , Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:53 pm

Quote: mikejee wrote in post #35
Couldn't agree more Lyn. I am ot clear though as to the reason that he was not on a memorial. Was it because he did not die on the battlefield, and only those actually dying there were included, or was it because of the bigoted opinions of the church, who sent him off with prayers and adulation, but refused him a churchyard grave. If it was the former I would guess that ,if others in a simllar position were included, then there must be many other in the same position, as the war so deeply affected so many of its combatants.

mike it think its both...either way i think it just sad...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#38 by astoness , Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:18 pm

i shall certainly be doing this...

Lights out- Candles Lit. Monday 4 Aug 14. Time 10pm-11pm
Monday 4 August: Time 10pm – 11pm Lights out candles lit

The lamps are going out all over Europe, we shall not see them lit again in our lifetime.
Sir Edward Grey, Foreign Secretary, uttered these words on the eve of Britain officially entered the First World War. Exactly 100 years later we are inviting millions of individuals, households and companies to join together in a national moment of reflection.
We're encouraging everyone in the UK to turn off their lights between 10pm and 11pm on 4 August 2014 – leaving only a single light or candle for this symbolic act of reflection and hope.
A limited edition Centenary candle is available from M&S stores or online for £4, with all profit coming to The Royal British Legion.
We hope to light one million candles across the UK to remember each and every one of those Service men and women who gave their lives in the war to end all wars. Please join together with us to create a unique national moment for the United Kingdom and The Royal British Legion..
Westminster Abbey will be leading the nation with a First World War vigil liturgy which will be broadcast live on the BBC

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#39 by Cleopatra , Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:09 am

I shall certainly be participating. M&S certainly need to advertise this more.

Cleopatra
Date registered 02.01.2014

#40 by Sheldonboy , Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:48 pm

I got an M&S candle this morning. It was quite overcast today until I had drops in my eyes then the sun came out and I was blinded.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#41 by astoness , Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:12 pm

dont think i will be able to get into town to buy a candle so i will prob be using one from the house...the sentiment will mean the same thing though...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#42 by Sheldonboy , Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:32 pm

Quote: astoness wrote in post #41
dont think i will be able to get into town to buy a candle so i will prob be using one from the house...the sentiment will mean the same thing though...

Lyn you will be there in spirit, you have done your job telling us about it.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Last edited 07.30.2014 | Top

#43 by Slow Jo , Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:38 pm

I second that ,I will try to get hold of one before the 4 of august.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

#44 by Sheldonboy , Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:39 pm

Quote: Slow Jo wrote in post #43
I second that ,I will try to get hold of one before the 4 of august.

The candles cost £4 and The British Legion get all of the profits.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#45 by Slow Jo , Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:43 pm

There is a M& S in our town center it's not far.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor