Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Birmingham Parks

#1 by phil ( deleted ) , Sat May 15, 2010 9:42 pm

I'm going to put this thread here because it seems to be as good a place as any other to put it. We haven't got a thread dedicated to the wonderful parks in and around Birmingham. Which is strange because we have some wonderful parks.

I'm going to start this thread off with Brueton Park, OK I know its in Solihull but as far as I am concerned it's part of Greater Birmingham.

I hadn't been to this park for over 25 years when my wife and I decided to drive over the other day. I was quite pleasantly surprised at the makeover that it has had. It's now a nice mixture of formal and natural parkland. It has always had a few birds in pens but now hosts a new nature centre that we were not able to have a look at because we had our dog with us. But we will be going back for a look without the dog.

We spent a pleasant couple of hours there and left just as a whole crowd of walkers for MacMillan Cancer Care passed by.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
phil
Last edited Thu May 20, 2010 9:02 pm | Top

RE: Birmingham Parks

#2 by Sheldonboy , Sat May 15, 2010 9:47 pm

Thanks Phil, Jo and I havn't been to Brueton Park yet but we will try to have a look this summer (If we get one).

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#3 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun May 16, 2010 9:37 am

A couple I took in the Licky hills years ago,( I was into trees) the major destination for thousands of Brummies every bank holiday and Sundays,
on the open top tram with sarnies and pop and money for an ice cream.

Attached pictures:
signman

#4 by Sheldonboy , Sun May 16, 2010 9:46 am

Nice ones John very effective use of the natural lighting

Arguing with an idiot is like teaching a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time, and it only annoys the pig!

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#5 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun May 16, 2010 1:10 pm

John

Just imagine telling todays kids that their Bank Holiday treat would be a long ride on public transport to the edges of Birmingham. Where they would spend all day running up and down hills. Dinner would be a few warm fish paste or beef paste sandwiches washed down with tepid tea from an old vacuum flask. Then if they were lucky then might get one or two rides at the fairground and a couple of penny's to spend at the arcade before catching the tram/bus back home.

You wouldn't have got my kids out of the door with a crowbar, but how we loved it. It was the highlight of the year for most of our class. The Lickey hills or if we were flush Dudley Zoo was the most we ever thought about.

Funnily enough the only photo I have of myself and some of my brothers & sisters when young was taken at the Lickey Hills. I think I was probably about 9 years of age.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil

#6 by mikejee , Sun May 16, 2010 2:15 pm

Go on Phil, lets see it. We've seen the ones where you look like Peter Noone of Herman & the Hermits
Mike
sorry phil, didn't scroll down, so didn't see you'd already put it on

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

Last edited 05.16.2010 | Top

#7 by signman ( deleted ) , Sun May 16, 2010 2:59 pm

Got rid of a few scratches for you Phil.

Attached pictures:
signman

#8 by phil ( deleted ) , Sun May 16, 2010 3:04 pm

Thanks John that one has been in my wallet for a long time. Mike what do you mean Peter Noon? I might have been that thin at one time. But I was never that gawky looking.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

phil

#9 by Sheldonboy , Sun May 16, 2010 8:11 pm

Blimey that's the first time I have heard Phil mention his wallet

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#10 by Deleted User , Sun May 16, 2010 8:39 pm

Kings Heaath park will be the one that has the best memories for me.

Did you know you can buy lovely hanging baskets and bedding plants from the Glasshouse there at this time of year?

#11 by toady , Thu May 20, 2010 11:46 am

Thanks for that information Denise the only time we go to Kings Heath park is September for the show.

Going back to Bruton park does anyone remember the Lido

toady  
toady

Founder Member
Date registered 01.11.2010

#12 by Deleted User , Thu May 20, 2010 11:56 am

No I know the swimming baths are close or were as used to vist a lt at one time.Have memories of taking my babies in the pram round Bruton Park,have a few pics somewhere.

Yes I also think the prices at the Glasshouse at Kings Heath were very reasonable.

#13 by phil ( deleted ) , Thu May 20, 2010 9:00 pm

Toady & Denise

The Lido was actually part of Malvern Park originally but both parks were combined into Brueton Park.

I never used the Lido myself back then, probably because they wouldn't let riff raff like our lot in.

Phil

Make Love, Not War

Attached pictures:
phil

#14 by phil ( deleted ) , Tue May 25, 2010 1:28 pm

I was reading about Birmingham parks on a Birmingham City website today and I came across this page. Now whilst I agree with everything it says I have to say that I think it sells some of Birmingham's other parks short.

I see that Birmingham is still claiming to have more parks than any other city in Europe. I remember arguing this point on another site with some idiot from Sheffield who claimed that Sheffield had more parkland than Birmingham. I think he was claiming half the Yorkshire Moors was Sheffield Parkland.

Anyway here is the extract from the site I mentioned.

Phil

"Civic pride in Birmingham is reflected in its premier parks. These five parks engage the wider community of Birmingham as well as the local communities they serve. They also hold their own in the national arena, being key attractions for visitors to the City.

Cannon Hill Park is a prestigious Victorian Park and focus for Civic pride through its picturesque parkland and as a centre for civic events. The Parks has been awarded the coveted Green Flag Award for excellent environmental and management standards.
Kings Heath Park is located in the Moseley and Kings Heath Ward. As well as being a lovely example of a Victorian Park, Kings Heath Park is also the home of the Horticultural Training Centre run by Birmingham City Council and the BBC Television Garden, created by the Gardener's World team. Kings Heath Park has been awarded the coveted Green Flag Award for excellent environmental and management standards.

Handsworth Park is a prime example of a Victorian Park in the West Midlands. Highly valued by the local community there are ambitious plans underway to restore many of its original features to their former glory as well as providing facilities that address the needs of the local community.

Sutton Park National Nature Reserve is Birmingham's largest park, covering 2,400 acres consisting of woodlands, heathlands and wetlands. The entire park is designated a National Nature Reserve by English nature. It is the home of a wide variety of wildlife, many species uncommon elsewhere in the West Midlands region. Visitors benefit from a true countryside experience, remarkably all within six miles of the very heart of the city. The Visitor Centre contains displays and information related to the park.

Lickey Hills lies 11 miles south west of Birmingham city centre and covers an area of 524 acres. The hills are covered by a mosaic of mixed deciduous woodland, conifer plantations and heathland, all rich in a variety of wildlife. The attractive visitor centre offers a wide range of information and refreshments and the Rangers are always on hand to answer queries. The Park has been awarded the coveted Green Flag Award for excellent environmental and management standards"

Make Love, Not War

phil
Last edited Tue May 25, 2010 1:28 pm | Top

#15 by signman ( deleted ) , Tue May 25, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi Phil,
What about poor old Aston park, and Woodgate valley country park to name a couple, plus Manor farm, Highbury, Senneleys,Cofton, I could go on and on, like you say a bit of a shortfall there.

signman

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Brum 1964

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor