Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

WW1 Plaque Found And Saved

#1 by astoness , Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:07 pm

hi folks thought you may find this story of interest..

in 1970/71 a friend of mine who at the time worked on the JCB.s was ordred to an already demolished building on monument road ladywood..his job was to shovel up the debris and take it away..in amonst the debris he spotted a wonderful marble WW1 plaque dedicated to 7 local postal workers who gave their lives for this country...he thought it really was not right to get rid of so took him home with him and although he did not quite know what to do with it it has followed him though 3 or 4 house moves...so my task is trying to help ken get this plaque re dedicated and hopefully back where it belongs as these men along with thousands upon thousands of others who lost their lives do not deserve to be forgotton...after posting this on another forum i am a member of the interest was overwheming and thanks to quite a few members researching the 7 names it turns out that the postal workers all lived and worked in erdington NOT ladywood ..quite natural to think they came from ladywood as that is where the plaque was found over 40 years ago so this is a mystery in itself...how did it get from erdington to ladywood.??.we will probably never know...the other day i visited erdington sorting office to have a word with the manager and lo and behold they have a wooden plaque inside the sorting office dedicated to the same 7 men..i have contacted the postal archives people to ask do they want it back and if so can we get it on the outside wall of the sorting office of if not another appropriate building..still waiting for them to get back to me on this...also carl chinn has given his backing and will help in anyway he can..in time there will almost certainly be an articale in the evening mail about it..so its fingers crossed and i will keep you udated with any developements..here is a photo of the plaque and i can tell you now it is very heavy...no way can i lift it...its 100 years this year since the start of the great war and very important to me that this year of all years it finds its rightful place in erdington..

ps photo will be on the next post...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 04.28.2014 | Top

RE: WW1 PLAQUE FOUND AND SAVED

#2 by astoness , Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:12 pm

here is the marble plaque..

PROUD BRUMMIE

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#3 by Sheldonboy , Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:55 pm

That's a great story Lyn, well done on your hard work, keep us informed please.

The only way is up
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#4 by mikejee , Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:36 pm

As always Lyn, when you get your teeth into something , things happen. I'm sure this time also there will be a successful conclusion. Congratulations

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#5 by astoness , Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:52 pm

thanks SB and mike...i do feel very strongly about this so its one project i will not be giving up on...also keeps me relatively out of trouble...[Little LOL]

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#6 by Sheldonboy , Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:04 pm

Quote: astoness wrote in post #5
thanks SB and mike...i do feel very strongly about this so its one project i will not be giving up on...also keeps me relatively out of trouble...[Little LOL]

That would take more than a Marble Slab

The only way is up

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#7 by astoness , Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:21 pm

Quote: Sheldonboy wrote in post #6
Quote: astoness wrote in post #5

That would take more than a Marble Slab

very true SB very true but i do try my hardest dont you know..[Big Laugh]

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#8 by Cleopatra , Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:25 pm

Astoness, may I also offer my thanks to you for championing this cause. It is only right that we do not forget we protect our history.

Cleopatra
Date registered 02.01.2014

#9 by astoness , Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:13 pm

thanks cleo..certain things must be done and done they will be...

lyn

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#10 by astoness , Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:20 pm

while i am on this subject l a lot of us we had rellies who fought in the great war and indeed ww2...my family research so far has led me to finding out that my nans sisters husband died in france...they married in birmingham in the january 1916 and off he went only to be killed in action in dec 1916 so very sad...also my grandad (mom dad) was in the RFA in france (royal field artillary...he was gassed a couple of times but did return home but always suffered ill health...he died in 1938 aged just 50 leaving my nan to bring up 3 young daughters by herself and all through ww2..she never re married..my gt grandads brother and his wife were both killed outright during ww2 when their house in erdington took a direct hit and their names are inscribed on the memorial for civilian deaths in the city centre...war affected not just those who fought but every single man woman and child..its something we must never forget..

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 02.27.2014 | Top

#11 by lynne webb , Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Ive done some research on Henry James Holmes, one of the names on the list. I couldnt really find much but he was KIA in July 1916 aged 26. His younger brother Frederick Charles was KIA in December 1916 aged 25 and his sisters husband William Withey was KIA in July 1915. So sad that this family lost 3 members in a year.
Lynne.

lynne webb
Date registered 10.05.2011

#12 by Sheldonboy , Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:41 pm

We all know war is an awful tragedy, but it's only when we read stories like this it reminds us that war is made of millions of tragedy's.

The only way is up

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

#13 by astoness , Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:42 pm

Quote: lynne webb wrote in post #11
Ive done some research on Henry James Holmes, one of the names on the list. I couldnt really find much but he was KIA in July 1916 aged 26. His younger brother Frederick Charles was KIA in December 1916 aged 25 and his sisters husband William Withey was KIA in July 1915. So sad that this family lost 3 members in a year.
Lynne.

thanks lynne and its info like this that really brings it home the horrors of war...how those that were left behind ever coped with losing one person never mind 3 i will never understand..ive looked on the BARRA site many times and found 5 or more members being wiped out during ww2 leaving just one rellie such as mom or nan living....ive said this before but i can only take my hat off to those left behind to cope with things...

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#14 by astoness , Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:43 pm

thats very true SB

PROUD BRUMMIE

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 02.27.2014 | Top

#15 by Sheldonboy , Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:47 pm

My wife Jo and I have been in the company of the Chairwoman of BARRA and I know the war is as real to their members as it was all those years ago.

The only way is up

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor