http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Last edited 01.31.2014 | Top

RE: Where Did You Go To School?

#2 by Marion , Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:42 pm

Burlington St. primary, (Aston), from about '63/'64 (not sure if they took me at 4 or 5) (My mom had gone there in the 30's, as we lived round the corner in Parliament St.)

from June '69-'July '70 Hastings Rd/Perry Common Jnr. & Infants.

From Sept.'70-'July '75 (what was) Erdington Girls Grammar School - (EGGS)

memories loads of em

'church' (although we didn't call it church,* but 'the meeting') Park Lane Gospel Hall - Park Lane, Aston.
* I understand why, as an adult, but was confusing when I was 11 and I was asked what church I went to.

Marion
Date registered 02.20.2013

#3 by Brookieboy , Thu May 23, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi All,
Does anyone know the small church in New Spring Street, Brookfields, when I was just a little lad I used to pump the organ bellows (next to the organ in a little cubby hole) for the services, to do this one had to watch a lead weight on a piece of string, when this got near the top one had to start pumping, one evening I had taken a comic into read, I became absorbed in the comic, next thing I knew the door burst open and the organ player hissed very angrily at me 'Pump', the congregation were still singing, needless to say my services were no longer required after this.
Brookieboy

Brookieboy  
Brookieboy
Date registered 05.21.2013

#4 by Brookieboy , Fri May 24, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi Phil, I'm not too sure, if it is between Clissold Street and George Street West and in New Spring Street then yes, it was only a little chapel but it's so long ago i cannot remember the front, I went past it some years ago and it was still there, Brookfields has been developed, at least where I lived it has, all the factories and coalyard have gone and new houses are now there.
Do you know if there are any more Brookfield people on Brummies Talking?
Norman

Brookieboy  
Brookieboy

#5 by Brookieboy , Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:22 pm

My very vivid memory is of All Saints School in All Saints Road between Crabtree Road and Lodge Road, we had a very nasty teacher by the name of Mr Roberts, he was always picking his face which had little bits of cotton wool all over it. he was very fond of giving you the cane and boxing your ears, I could not go to school one day and my father asked what was the matter with not to being able to go, when I told that Roberts had boxed my ears and i was in a lot of pain, my father went to the school to sort him out but Mr Roberts locked himself in a room until my dad had left, my dad could hit me but he would not stand for bullying (I had accidently knocked over a jar of water that was on the desk of his favourite boy, all over his painting.
Icknield School was my favourite, we were allowed to go swimming and up to the Jewelry Quarter for training on metal work.
Brookieboy

Brookieboy  
Brookieboy

#6 by Slow Jo , Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:36 pm

I started off at St Michael's school Handsworh, it was Cof E attached to St Michael's church, as my birthday is on michealmas day we had that day off every year. This all ended when i went to Rookery road Handsworth, all boy's all sadistic teachers,so i kept my nose clean,didn't like the cane,left 1954.

Slow Jo  
Slow Jo
Date registered 07.31.2013

#7 by astoness , Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:28 pm

Quote: Slow Jo wrote in post #8
I started off at St Michael's school Handsworh, it was Cof E attached to St Michael's church, as my birthday is on michealmas day we had that day off every year. This all ended when i went to Rookery road Handsworth, all boy's all sadistic teachers,so i kept my nose clean,didn't like the cane,left 1954.

hi jo i cant be sure of the year he was at st michaels but can you recall peter walker being at the school he also played the organ at st michaels church and made a wonderful model of it..

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#8 by denniscarole ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:11 pm

I went to Alderlea boys school from 1965 to 69 hated every minute of it. Left with no qualifications no prospects but oh so glad to get out of there.

Shard End boy

denniscarole
Last edited Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:20 pm | Top

#9 by Sheldonboy , Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:55 pm

I too left school with no qualifications, I don't think I would want to be doing that now. But in the sixties there were many of us and it was far easier to get a job. I have since learned a trade as a guillotine operator with 37 years in the paper and printing trade. I don't think a Geography or Sociology degree would help me very much.

The only way is up
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#10 by denniscarole ( deleted ) , Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi Like me I just walked out of one job into another easy in them days but not now. In 1990 I was in a go nowhere job delivering to Tyseley railway depot As I was unloading a chap came out and I just happened to ask if there were any jobs going. He went back into the office and came back with an application form. I took this home filled it in and posted it. 2 weeks later I had an interview with an exam. another 2 weeks and I was offered the job as a carriage cleaner. The lowest of the low. As I said before I left school with nothing, good job I was 15 or I think I would have been expelled Any way I thought to myself this is the bottom and the only way is up. I ended up in control of all west midlands trains and a lot more. Thanks to the teachers of Alderlea boys school who said I would never make anything of myself.

denniscarole
Last edited Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:19 pm | Top

#11 by astoness , Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:02 am

well done you dennis and you are quite right...jobs were ten a penny back in the day...i stayed on an extra year as i was so desperate to take cse exams in shorthand and typing...thinking back now i realise how lucky i was to have parents who allowed me to do so..being the eldest of 6 kids and only dad bringing in money i really should have been out earning...if memory serves me right i went for 6 job interviews and got offered 5 of those vacancies...in todays world you would be lucky to get an interview...how times have changed and not always for the better to my mind

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#12 by denniscarole ( deleted ) , Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:43 pm

I first went to Whittington Oval South Yardley, then to Timberley infants and juniors and then onto Alderlea secondary modern

Shard End boy

denniscarole
Last edited Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:20 pm | Top

Re: Where Did You Go To School?

#13 by The Mitz , Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:14 am

Afraid school was before I came to Birmingham
Originally Kineton Junior & Infants then
Leamington College for Boys, Leamington Spa, followed by
Stratford Technical College where I learned to play a mean game of three card brag

www.jonjones.eu

The Mitz
Date registered 12.19.2013

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor