Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Lozells Secondary Modern for Girls

#1 by astoness , Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:34 pm

This is the only photo I have been able to find of my senior school which was situated on the corner of Gerrard St and Lozells St and strangly enough it was taken in 1968 while I was still attending the school. I started in 1965 and left in 71 because I stayed on an extra year to take CSE exams in various subjects including shorthand and typing. I have to say I really enjoyed my time at this school and have made contact with one of my best friends at Lozells girls after all these years so I am really chuffed about this. The school was sadly demolished in about 1973 and its replacement was the newly built Holte School in Wheeler St. This one didn't last long as it was demolished about 4 years back.

lyn

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 02.13.2013 | Top

RE: Lozells Secondary Modern for Girls

#2 by Dora ( deleted ) , Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:05 pm

I went to Lozells St Girls school in the mid sixties. The head mistress, with her plait wrapped around her head terrified me. My best friend was another very skinny girl called Betty. We both looked like bean poles and we wore similar clothes and for a while we were inseparable. My nickname was Dopy Dora and not without reason. I left at fifteen while my friend stayed on to do shorthand typing. If you stayed on till you were sixteen it was Hobson's choice what you're career options were. A lot of the girls were from quite poor disadvantaged backgrounds and now I'm sixty and retired I wondered what became of them.

Dora
Last edited Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:23 pm | Top

#3 by Voltman , Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:15 pm

Hello Dora,
welcome to BT.
With any luck some of your old school friends might find us if they google Lozells Girls School and find this thread.

http://www.gutenberg.org/
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator

#4 by Sheldonboy , Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:20 pm

Hello Dora I'll join in with the Welcome and thank you for joining our little site, please make yourself at home and get to know us we don't all bite.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.
I would Agree with you but then we would both be wrong wouldn't we.

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#5 by astoness , Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:35 am

Quote: Dora wrote in post #2
I went to Lozells St Girls school in the mid sixties. The head mistress, with her plait wrapped around her head terrified me. My best friend was another very skinny girl called Betty. We both looked like bean poles and we wore similar clothes and for a while we were inseparable. My nickname was Dopy Dora and not without reason. I left at fifteen while my friend stayed on to do shorthand typing. If you stayed on till you were sixteen it was Hobson's choice what you're career options were. A lot of the girls were from quite poor disadvantaged backgrounds and now I'm sixty and retired I wondered what became of them.

hello dora...well as ive just turned 60 i feel as though i should remember you but i cant recall your first name..what was your best friends last name...could be possible that you were a year in front of me...my name is linda harrington and my best mates were georgina mildenhall who i have recently found again and linda ilsley..oh where abouts did you live..miss reed head..miss banbury deputy head..mr jones accounts..miss jones science..mrs gumley gardening and i think she also took english..miss wood pe..before i forget dora did you go on that school trip to stratford ??

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

Last edited 12.02.2013 | Top

#6 by Sheldonboy , Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:46 am

Quote: astoness wrote in post #5
Quote: Dora wrote in post #2

hello dora...well as ive just turned 60 i feel as though i should remember you but i cant recall your first name..what was your best friends last name...could be possible that you were a year in front of me...my name is linda harrington and my best mates were georgina mildenhall who i have recently found again and linda ilsley..oh where abouts did you live..miss reed head..miss banbury deputy head..mr jones accounts..miss jones science..mrs gumley gardening and i think she also took english..miss wood pe..before i forget dora did you go on that school trip to stratford ??

lyn

And were there trees involved?

The only way is up

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor