Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Pitmaston House - Moseley

#1 by Stirling Single , Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:43 pm

Part of the site of the original Pitmaston House in Moseley, the home of and named by Sir John Charles Holder is now going to be called Moor Green Park.
The house was called Pitmaston after his wife's home - Pitmaston House in Worcester.

Any furthur news about the overall development I should be pleased to hear about, although this report covers quite a lot of ground.

Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single
Date registered 03.12.2011

Last edited 12.27.2013 | Top

RE: Pitmaston House - Moseley

#2 by Stirling Single , Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:51 pm

http://www.kingerleehomes.co.uk/developm...arkBrochure.pdf

This is the link that I meant to put in the above message but didn't copy it across properly. !!
Apologies about that. Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#3 by The Mitz , Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:51 pm

Ive got to say, the computer generated images of what they are going to build are of horrible modern houses with no character.
I live in Moseley at the moment, and I wish they would take into account the surrounding architecture when they build these places!

The Mitz
Date registered 12.19.2013

#4 by Stirling Single , Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi Mitz,
Yes, I fully agree - the images are positively horrible. Thankfully we've managed to get a lot of pictures of the Stable Block, both inside and out a few years back now and also of some lovely old mosaic flooring that was just under the grass down by the side of the Stables. We recorded as much as we could, to add to the Holder family history, in the few visit's that we made to there.
I guess that mosaic for e.g. will just be dug up and go in the skip !!
If you are up by the site any chance of you taking a few photograph's of whatever you can get.
I would love to live closer but am well down in the south, in West Sussex.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#5 by The Mitz , Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:04 pm

I'll try for sure
Planners seem to have no idea sometimes! I'd kill for the mosaic flooring, as I've got somewhere in mind for that :-)

The Mitz

#6 by Stirling Single , Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:54 am

Hi The Mitz
Shall try and attach two photos for you and this is what you can see - nobody would be more pleased than me if you managed to retrieve some of it.
Would be interested to know if they have started working on it yet.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#8 by Stirling Single , Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:48 am

[[File:DSC02412.JPG|none|auto]] [[File:5.8.09 042.jpg|none|auto]]

This is a view of the overall area of the floor and a close up of the corner.
Hope I've managed to attach these two photos successfully.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

Last edited 01.17.2014 | Top

#9 by Stirling Single , Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:34 am

If one clicks on the picture of the green ground area it can be seen much more clearly, the area covered which I think would have been in the Conservatory were the floor would have originally been.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#10 by The Mitz , Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:34 am

Thanks for that, I'm not even sure if you can get access to the areas now.
One or two roads down from us in Moseley there is another line of very old houses that have been boarded up for years. It used to be some kind of home afaik, and now it is just falling into ruin. No doubt they will knock it down and build flats there eventually. It's very sad

I saw the same in Leamington Spa when I was young. They knocked down lovely old houses, so now you drive along lovely streets of old houses and right in the middle you will find a horrible block of 60's flats!

The Mitz

#11 by Voltman , Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:12 pm

Is this the place in question?
[[File:Pitmaston House.png|left|auto]]
On Google maps...... https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=...002382&t=h&z=20

http://www.gutenberg.org/
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

Last edited 01.14.2014 | Top

#12 by Stirling Single , Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:48 am

Yes Volty, This is the place - am taking a little while getting back to you on this as I want to put to-gether the dates of the site from when it was apparently Moor Green Cottage when John Charles Holder bought it.
He then built Pitmaston House on the site
and then
"I think" it was The Ideal Benefit Society that built the building that is there at present.

Down at the Right hand side of the big building is the Stable Block {yellow brick} that is at present being developed into flats.

Fantastic big view of the site on Google - I certainly had not got such a clear enlarged view - so this I must have just not tried doing, in the past - two heads are better than one.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

#13 by Voltman , Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:08 am

Lyn, The Kingerlee Homes brochure that you linked to provides some history....

A little history of the site
The Pitmaston estate dates back to 1870 when the original Pitmaston House was built. Most of the area to the rear of the property dates back to the original house when the gardens were landscaped and the mature trees that form the woodland bordering onto Holders lane were planted.
In the 1930’s the estate was redeveloped by The Ideal Benefit society as their offices on the footprint of the original Pitmaston House. They were designed by one of Birmingham finest inter-war architects, Holland W Hobbis. In 2003, the Ideal Benefit’s offices were statutory listed, protecting both the interior, exterior and setting of the building. number 82 russell road built around the same time and the original stable block, thought to date from the 1870’s, were also protected. In 2004, the gardens were included in the Moseley Conservation area.

http://www.gutenberg.org/
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/
Latest Posts

Voltman

Founder Member
Technical Administrator
Date registered 02.24.2010

#14 by Stirling Single , Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:32 pm

Very many thanks Volty for summarizing this all so nicely.

I wonder if any one could come up with any of the History attached to:-
"Moor Green Cottage" before it was demolished to make way for Pitmaston House.

Many thanks if any one can.
Lynn.

Stirling Single  
Stirling Single

Sidney Powell responds after Trump campaign says she is not part of legal team:
Yardley Wood Windmill

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor