Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Roller Skating Rink.

#1 by denniscarole ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi Everybody Did you ever visit the roller rinks in Birmingham. My local rink was Summer Hill on week ends we used to go Saturday afternoons Sunday morning then over to the summer hill tavern at the age of about 13 then back for the afternoon session. What great days. Sometimes we used to go on the evening sessions, not as good as the weekends.

Shard End boy.

denniscarole
Last edited Wed May 07, 2014 9:37 am | Top

RE: Roller skating rink.

#2 by astoness , Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:43 pm

Quote: denniscarole wrote in post #1
Hi Everybody Did you ever visit the roller rinks in Birmingham. My local rink was Summer Hill on week ends we used to go Saturday afternoons Sunday morning then over to the summer hill tavern at the age of about 13 then back for the afternoon session. What great days. Sometimes we used to go on the evening sessions, not as good as the weekends.

Shard End boy.

did i visit dennis??...i lived at spring hill rollar rink...at least 5 nights a week until we all turned up one tues night to find it all boarded up..no prior warning given...absolutely gutted to this day...straight over the the summer hill tavern to drown our sorrows then off to the longboat to drown them even more...what years was it that you used to go?? have you seen a pic of the rink taken when it was an ice rink prior to becoming roller

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#3 by Sheldonboy , Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:48 pm

I used to go to the Silver Blades in pershore street. I could skate like a fish.

The only way is up
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#4 by denniscarole ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:00 pm

Lyn It was late sixties early seventies, if you went to the summer hill tavern did you go to the one on the opposite corner The Stores

Shard End boy

denniscarole

#5 by denniscarole ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:02 pm

Never went to the Silver blades probably scared of getting my fingers cut off.

Shard End boy.

denniscarole

#6 by astoness , Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:08 pm

Quote: denniscarole wrote in post #4
Lyn It was late sixties early seventies, if you went to the summer hill tavern did you go to the one on the opposite corner The Stores

Shard End boy

denise thats when i was going...wonder if we bumped into each other...never went in the stores...do you want me to post a pic of the rink..i also have one of the skaters inside??

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#7 by denniscarole ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:14 pm

That would be nice and yes we probably bumped into each other as I bumped into most things at first.

Shard End boy.

denniscarole

#8 by astoness , Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:26 pm

Quote: denniscarole wrote in post #7
That would be nice and yes we probably bumped into each other as I bumped into most things at first.

Shard End boy.

have to say i was very good dennis...one of our mates dylan had his own skates and while the rest of us were inside the no 8 bus (my stop nursery road) he would hold onto the hand rail and and let the bus pull him along until his stop at hockley brook lol...i had to hire my skates which as you may recall were numbered..tried to get the same pair everytime..number 121..happy days...

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#9 by astoness , Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:30 pm

pic 2 inside the rink...just how i remember it...

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#10 by denniscarole ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:40 pm

As a regular I had my number for the skates I wanted, I then progressed and brought my own with dexter racing wheels Loved the speed session especially when the DJ played the Sabre Dance. I also remember the evening sessions when they brought out the barrels I was pretty good to not to blow me own trumpet but did get to wear the red jacket at times.

Shard End boy.

denniscarole
Last edited Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:26 pm | Top

#11 by denniscarole ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:43 pm

You never know that somewhere in that photo it may be me or you. Thanks lyn

Shard End boy.

denniscarole

#12 by denniscarole ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:45 pm

I was in that glass building a few times.

Shard End boy.

denniscarole

#13 by astoness , Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:25 pm

Quote: denniscarole wrote in post #10
As a regular I had my number for the skates I wanted, I then progressed and brought my own with dexter racing wheels Loved the speed session especially when the DJ played the Sabre Dance. I also remember the evening sessions when they brought out the barrels I was pretty good to not to blow me own trumpet but did get to ware the red jacket at times.

Shard End boy.

excellent dennis...oh i remember the barrels alright...never tempted though lol...les ross who went onto become a radio presenter started out as dj at the rink and then frankie who had black curly hair..hes the one i remember the most...went to live in australia and is still a dj...by the way i dont think i am in that photo...i used to wear one of those ultra short skating skirts but please dont put that one about...

astoness

Granny
Founder Member

#14 by denniscarole ( deleted ) , Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:29 pm

Where did you sit, we used to sit right over the far side past the DJ.

Shard End boy.

denniscarole
Last edited Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:45 pm | Top

#15 by Sheldonboy , Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:32 pm

Quote: astoness wrote in post #13
Quote: denniscarole wrote in post #10
As a regular I had my number for the skates I wanted, I then progressed and brought my own with dexter racing wheels Loved the speed session especially when the DJ played the Sabre Dance. I also remember the evening sessions when they brought out the barrels I was pretty good to not to blow me own trumpet but did get to ware the red jacket at times.

Shard End boy.

excellent dennis...oh i remember the barrels alright...never tempted though lol...les ross who went onto become a radio presenter started out as dj at the rink and then frankie who had black curly hair..hes the one i remember the most...went to live in australia and is still a dj...by the way i dont think i am in that photo...i used to wear one of those ultra short skating skirts but please dont put that one about...

WORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The only way is up
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor