Mainly For Brummies But All Are Welcome To Join In The Birmingham Fun & Chat

Happy Days When We Were Kids 50's-60's

#1 by Deleted User , Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:18 pm

Last edited Wed May 07, 2014 9:38 am | Top

RE: Happy Days when we were kids 50's-60's

#2 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:44 pm

Pudding

I have seen this before, but the opening shots of Nechells are great, I just wonder why none of our family were never invited on these free trips. I was probably too old by the looks of the film as I remember all those demolition sites with buildings when I was 14.

phil

#3 by mikejee , Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:00 pm

Good little film . anyone any idea as to where these two screenshots were?

Attached pictures:
You do not have the necessary rights to view attached pictures
mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member
Date registered 12.26.2009

#4 by phil ( deleted ) , Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:34 pm

Mike

Those screen shots are not off that piece of film are they? I think the first one is Francis St, my old street. Although it's not very clear it certainly ticks all the boxes, it's the bottom end of the photo that I would like to see clearer, but I think I can make out our house about halfway down on the left opposite Middletons Builders yard. I think that's one of his lorries parked on the right and the bomb site at the top on the left would be where the old St James Sunday School was that they demolished years before the demolished the street. That could even be two of my younger brothers in the middle of the road, it's certainly looks like them.

phil

#5 by Deleted User , Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi Mike, I may be totally wrong but your second photo looks like Scholefield street to me taken from Oliver street? as the buildings in the distance looks like St Josephs RC church and L H Newtons Factory on Thimble mill lane.

#6 by mikejee , Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:38 pm

Yes Phil they are off the film. Thank you both

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#7 by Pam Keeling , Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:59 pm

Can anyone help please was there ever an outdoor Lido in Small Heath ?

Pam Keeling
Date registered 04.13.2013

#8 by astoness , Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:50 pm

Quote: Pam Keeling wrote in post #7

sorry pam not being my neck o the woods i dont know but if mike spots this post he maybe able to help as he is very good with looking up in the kellys directories...

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

#9 by Sheldonboy , Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:26 pm

Quote: astoness wrote in post #8
Quote: Pam Keeling wrote in post #7

sorry pam not being my neck o the woods i dont know but if mike spots this post he maybe able to help as he is very good with looking up in the kellys directories...

lyn

I don't know if there was an outdoor Lido in Small Heath Pam but I do know there was a very large Paddling pool in Small Heath Park, on the far side away from the Coventry Road, I used to go there to sail my model boat first thing in the morning. On a nice sunny day Small Heath Park was like the flippin sea side. the place was absolutely packed. We used to go there from Garretts Green and it wasn't an easy place to get to in those days, especially when you were about 12 years old.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#10 by Pam Keeling , Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:12 pm

Ohh thank you my dear. A friend of a friend was asking on facebook. She has memories of going somewhere as a child and was sure it was in Small Heath . I will let her know now

Pam Keeling

#11 by Sheldonboy , Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:26 pm

Quote: Pam Keeling wrote in post #10
Ohh thank you my dear. A friend of a friend was asking on facebook. She has memories of going somewhere as a child and was sure it was in Small Heath . I will let her know now

Pam your friend on Facebook is more than welcome to join us. By the way how is your new job.

I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it left.
http://brummiestalking.org.uk/

Sheldonboy

Founder Member
Forum Administrator
Date registered 12.22.2009

#12 by Pam Keeling , Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:20 am

Thank you i will let her know. My job is going well. I will know if it is permanent in about 4 weeks so keeping everything crossed

Pam Keeling

#13 by mikejee , Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:30 am

It depends on what you mean by lido. Kellys does not give any information, presumably as it is included in the facilities of the park. the early pre-WW1 maps show the pool as a swimming pool. the c1937 map does not call it anything, but it appears to have a lot of structures surrounding it, as would a lido, though many have disappeared by 1952.

mikejee  
mikejee

Founder Member

#14 by denniscarole ( deleted ) , Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:34 pm

Hi everybody Remembering your childhood holidays. Coming from shard end, our holidays consisted mainly of trips to Rhyl, Weston Super mare, Skegness, and if you were lucky Great Yarmouth. My mom and dad never owned a car so it was train all the way, not that it bothered me it was great standing on the platforms watching and hearing the steam trains come thundering in. The journey was part of your holiday and it was great.
Recently I went back to these places and were amazed to see the changes. Weston the council have done a fantastic job. Ryhl if you think the council have destroyed Birmingham take a look at Ryhl it looks like ground zero. Skegness is basically the same as I remember. Great Yarmouth well what can I say I think I was the only person who could speak English.

Shard End Boy.

denniscarole

#15 by astoness , Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:33 pm

snap dennis...although there were 6 of us kids mom and dad would make sure we had a holiday almost every year and rhyl was the place to be...no car for us either we always went by train which of course was always part of the fun...mom and dad always rented a bungalow from a mrs matthews near to the train line so that we could watch them go by...such happy days..

lyn

astoness

Granny
Founder Member
Date registered 02.24.2010

Thank you for visiting our humble forum, make this your forum by joining us and posting your own thoughts and questions.
Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor